looking for best stylus tablet or convertible laptop

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default looking for best stylus tablet or convertible laptop

Right now, I want to replace my macbook pro 2010. I had bought Microsoft surface pro for my wife and enjoying how one note works. List of beast that I consider are Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga, Sony Vaio 15a, Fujitsu Q704 (QH77/m and Panasonic MX3. However, after reading a lot of review it seems all of candidate has some minus points. which I summaries:

Lenovo Yoga:
    Pro: sturdy design and light
    Cons: Single Channel RAM, some reports on dead zone

Sony Vaio 15a
    Pro: Best Performer among others, dedicate graphics, 16 GB RAM, 2880x1620 display
    Cons: louds fan, a lot of problem when upgrade to windows 8.1, weak WIFI

Fujitsu Q704
    Pros: Great case and processor
    Cons: Processor is underclock so performance below surface pro 2

Panasonic MX3
    Pros: Dream Machine for stylus street warriors: 1.16 Kg, 8 GB, i7 4500U, 14.5 Hours battery life with hot swap
    Cons: Hefty price 313000 Yen or $3100 :-(

I dream if there is a monster stylus with spec like MacbookPro 15 retina but with stylus.

1. What is your budget?
    up to $2500
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    NO
    3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    tablet pc or notebook convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

Above 12-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Japan
    6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No
    7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    >6 hours
    8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Note Taking and Coding
    9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    windows and Mac no android
    10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    One Note, MatLab and Eclipse
    11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    PES, FIFA and FIFA Manager
    12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Yes

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    Full HD or better

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    No
    3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Pen is a must, wacom or N-Trig is ok
    Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    16GB RAM and at least 256 GB SSD
    2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    USB 3.0 and HDMI
    Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    none
    2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    none

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: looking for best stylus tablet or convertible laptop

Remember the Sonys have n-trig and not Wacom. Although N-Trig is catching up I heard the pressure curve and general sensitivity is not as good as Wacom.

Pen Pal - Newbie

It's more catching on due date as coupon 20% for thinkpad Yoga and Fujitsu q704 ended today. I've try nTrig in Store and I think it is fill my need.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Based on playing with some sony's at BB, for note taking they are to me near identical to Wacom. I believe I heard that photoshop supports ntrig pressure now but most of the artist I know are still tied to Wacom. Imo out of the bunch the sony one seems to be the best bet. To me the price is a little much but upgrading to windows 8.1 can easily be rectified with a clean install. I have had it happen on a different pc before and basically I just reformatted the drive and made a clean install of win 8.1. The only downside is that a specific 8.1 key can be hard to find. I was lucky and my university gave me some, but if the 15A is stuck on 8. You would need to "find" a 8.1 key to activate it during the install, then enter in the regular sony 8.0 key after you can reach the desktop.

Thread Information