Looking for tablets similar to Galaxy Note 10.1...

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Looking for tablets similar to Galaxy Note 10.1...

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    Budget is around $500

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yep, of course

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Preference goes to android

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    5 to7-inches
    7.1 to 10-inches
    10-13 inches
    Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Not really

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Irrelevant

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    As an interactive 'look book' in the salon, diagramming hair styles and cuts, taking notes.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Android

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    All kinds, Nothin is off limits

Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    Not important

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    None

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    I like the note 10.1, I had one a few months ago but had to return it due to personal funds at the time. I'm looking in the market again for a tablet the same as or similar to the note 10.1, which means it needs some sort of active digitizer for input. I would consider a windows tablet as long as it isn't too much more than my budget and is very light weight.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: Looking for tablets similar to Galaxy Note 10.1...

There's not much else out there on the Android front, but Toshiba recently announced their new Excite lineup including the Excite Write which includes an active digitizer/stylus and a 2560x1600 display.

You can do a little research on it, but here's a basic overview video:

Toshiba Excite Write hands on - Toshiba's answer to Galaxy Note 10.1 - YouTube

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Interesting....I didn't hear about the Excite Write yet. Can't tell if that's a Wacom pen or one of the newer N-trig pens. but it looks like it has an eraser would indicate Wacom.

Aside from that...the only tablets that would really be comparable to the Note 10.1 price and size wise are the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 and the Dell Latitude 10. Both are 10.1 screens like the Note...but they use a 16:9 ratio instead of the Notes 16:10.
    Lenovo X-61 Tablet - 1.6 ghz, 4 gb ram
    Gateway C-120X - 1.06 ghz, 2 gb ram (dead)
    Hp TC1100 - 1.1 ghz, 1.5 gb ram
    Ls800 - 1.2 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Eee PC T-91, 1.3 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Ipad 16gb Wi-FI (it does count as a tablet)
    HP Slate 500 - 1.86 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Asus Ep121 - 1.33 ghz, 4gb ram
    Samsung Series 7 Slate - 1.6 ghz, 4 gb of ram

Pen Pro - Senior Member

That's a Wacom pen for sure. In fact, it looks exactly like their Tablet PC pen they've been using since 2005, right down to the clip.

I'll be interested to see how much A15 does for the pen responsiveness over A9, even if it's a bit moot since even if A15 bring the pen responsiveness up to par with Clovertrail Atom, the art software available will take years to catch up to what's available in Windows...

Pen Pro - Senior Member

If you would like Windows, don't overlook the Surface RT now that they're dropping the price (16gb $349 or something like that). I tried out a Surface Pro for a couple days and, while it was a bit too heavy for a tablet and a bit too small for a notebook, the RT I believe is lighter weight since it doesn't need the power of the Pro. It's either 10.6 or 11" 16:9, and I have to admit I even liked the Touch cover (no moving parts on the keys) quite a bit. Of course, the Note 10.1 is still great so you could just grab another of those!

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOnBass View Post
    If you would like Windows, don't overlook the Surface RT now that they're dropping the price (16gb $349 or something like that). I tried out a Surface Pro for a couple days and, while it was a bit too heavy for a tablet and a bit too small for a notebook, the RT I believe is lighter weight since it doesn't need the power of the Pro. It's either 10.6 or 11" 16:9, and I have to admit I even liked the Touch cover (no moving parts on the keys) quite a bit. Of course, the Note 10.1 is still great so you could just grab another of those!
    Looks like "stylus required", kz Note 10.1 has one.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOnBass View Post
    Taking notes with capacitive nub - fate worse than death...

Pen Pro - Senior Member

My mistake, I suppose I didn't realize the Surface RT didn't have the Wacom; I just thought it ran a lighter-spec processor and a less powerful version of the OS.

Thread Information