New tablet / hybrid for programming & school

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default New tablet / hybrid for programming & school

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? 1000 or so I do get student discounts.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? No want new

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Yes

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

* 5 to7-inches

* 7.1 to 10-inches

* 10 to 13-inches 10 to 13 inches

* Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    not microsoft they gave me issues with surface pro

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    5+ would be nice

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Programming in visual studio, c++, oracle. And doing school work.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    No android I already have

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Office, visual studio, oracle, uml, HTML, c++, java, etc.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. Maybe but doubt it

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    That would be nice

Screen Specifics. Touch screen preferably

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

Best

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Not sure

See the above linked FAQ for guidance

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig? Don't know what ntrig is but daughter uses Wacom

See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Component Specifics
    Lots of memory and ram

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? Expandable ssd drive 128 to 256 fb or bigger

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Micro sd is ok, would like USB slots, HDMI inputs

Misc

1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    The ability to connect a keyboard if has none. Stylus or Wacom pen if available.
    MUST HAVE: I'm disabled so it must be light weight!

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration? Accessories, I like to 'make it mine'

(x) / fashion

Default Re: New tablet / hybrid for programming & school

Give the Surface a second try. Its Customer Support has gotten very high praise around here. I don't know which kind of hassle they put you through, but it might have been a 1-in-1000 thing. If possible, buy the device from a MS store as it (usually) makes returns and exchanges a 2-minute process. They (usually) just take your unit and give you a new sealed box. Then they bid you goodbye without asking much.

Apart from the Surface, I'd say the Ativ 700T. I think light detachables with i5 CPU are the best option for you. VS on an Atom isn't fun...
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TM2 | HP TC1100 | Galaxy Note 3 Neo

WPrime/WEI Benchmark thread for Tablet PCs:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hard...ablet-pcs.html

Pen Pal - Newbie

They took my money and said there was no order. Already been 5 days but they said it will take until next Friday to fix anything. My bank said they would refund my money the same day so I could repurchase if MS would call them and MS refused. My bank said they'll refund my money the first of next week. MS has not bothered to contact me in any way and if I contact them they say I have to wait until the end of next week.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Were you trying to buy through the Microsoft Store online?
    Thinkpad X41t | Thinkpad X61t | Motion Computing CL900 | Microsoft Surface Pro

Pen Pro - Senior Member

If it's really for programming and school work I don't see why you would want a tablet or hybrid. Touch screen just adds weight and does not help you program - you need a keyboard for that anyway. A folio for the tablet will add more weight. Why not just get a thin and light laptop with a nice keyboard such as Lenovo X220?

Pen Pal - Newbie

Meow, yes through online store...no stores around here closest is 2 hours away.

Tabletdummy (cute name) I actually type very well with the on screen keyboards and I also have extremely light Bluetooth keyboards made for disabled. With the small light tablet I could slip it in my purse and go but if there's comparable I might look at others. With laptops you have to worry about the hinges too my less than 2 year old Asus laptops hinges are popping apart...lol.

I also bought a 2.5lb netbook light right, then had to buy a lap fan cause it kept getting too hot and it bogged down so bad from visual studio I couldn't do anything else...it's 6months old.

I've been trying and coming up empty. The only device I can use with ease is my TF201 but you cannot program on it...it's become my lifeline when I can't move much but if I could have a windows device like it I would be in heaven.

Right now I'm propped up with about twenty pillows trying to code and I'm in tears, ice pack on the spine and meds in the system but still no help. Today's the last day to turn in assignments so just got to deal...if MS would have done the right thing I wouldn't be suffering so bad right now

All your advice and help is appreciated.

Thread Information