Fujitsu LifeBook T902 vs. Lenovo ThinkPad X230T - Page 4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: Fujitsu LifeBook T902 vs. Lenovo ThinkPad X230T

Quote Originally Posted by stoneseeker View Post
    If you get that chance please do post up your thoughts on comparing them. They both offer a versatile and powerful solution with nearly identical specs, so it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on them. I predict the bigger HD+ screen and modular bay functionality is going to win your favor to Fujitsu, but who knows.
    Ok I will. Could you tell me about the modular bay? I have heard a little about it before but I am not completely sure what it is and what you can do with it.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

It's an empty bay in the side of the machine that can hot swap many different accessories: extra battery, dvd drive, space saver, extra hard drive, blue ray drive, and I think that's it.
    Yours will come with a dvd drive and a space saver by default. I highly recommend the modular bay battery if your quite mobile, as it will add a couple more hours. You need an adapter to use the space with a extra HDD though.
    My Fujitsu T902
    -i7-3520M -16 gigs of RAM -512 gig SSD -extra modular bay battery -Wacom penabled dual digitizer 13.3" 1600x900

Wife's Sony Vaio Duo 13
    -i5 4200U -8 gigs RAM -256 gig SSD -Ntrig Duosense 2 dual digitizer 13.3" 1920x1080

2D animator and illustrator - Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=272229

Pen Pal - Newbie

It's an empty bay in the side of the machine that can hot swap many different accessories: extra battery, dvd drive, space saver, extra hard drive, blue ray drive, and I think that's it.
    Yours will come with a dvd drive and a space saver by default. I highly recommend the modular bay battery if your quite mobile, as it will add a couple more hours. You need an adapter to use the space with a extra HDD though.
    Is it a DVD and CD drive or just DVD? What are the differences of the computers in this link? The only differences I could see was the operating system. Which one should I get and why? Fujitsu America - TabletPCs and Notebooks Products Comparison

Pen Pro - Senior Member

DVD/CD drive like any other.
    The only differences is the operating system in these pre-configured models. You won't get the i7 with any of these options, but you won't beat that price either. I highly recommend the first option in that list, as you get BOTH operating systems to try at the same price. You can then select whether you prefer 7 or 8. 8 might be a touch more glitchy, but also provides a much better touch experience. 7 is dependable and is easier to find solution to issues as it has a lot more history and information out there.
    In order to get the i7 as you mentioned in earlier threads, you would have to custom build the T902 on their site, but it would cost more and most likely be much more difficult to return as well.
    My Fujitsu T902
    -i7-3520M -16 gigs of RAM -512 gig SSD -extra modular bay battery -Wacom penabled dual digitizer 13.3" 1600x900

Wife's Sony Vaio Duo 13
    -i5 4200U -8 gigs RAM -256 gig SSD -Ntrig Duosense 2 dual digitizer 13.3" 1920x1080

2D animator and illustrator - Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=272229

Pen Pal - Newbie

DVD/CD drive like any other.
    The only differences is the operating system in these pre-configured models. You won't get the i7 with any of these options, but you won't beat that price either. I highly recommend the first option in that list, as you get BOTH operating systems to try at the same price. You can then select whether you prefer 7 or 8. 8 might be a touch more glitchy, but also provides a much better touch experience. 7 is dependable and is easier to find solution to issues as it has a lot more history and information out there.
    In order to get the i7 as you mentioned in earlier threads, you would have to custom build the T902 on their site, but it would cost more and most likely be much more difficult to return as well.
    How do you custom build one? I can't find a link or anything like that on the website.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

My Fujitsu T902

Wife's Sony Vaio Duo 13

Pen Pal - Newbie

I have to select a processor that works with Windows 7 or 8. Should I get the one that works with 7?

Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I'm going to need some help.

Processor:
    I'm going with the i7 but should I get the one for Windows 7 or Windows 8?

Operating System:
    I can get the one with Windows 7 installed and Windows 8 in the box if I go with the processor for Windows 8.

Display:
    I have no idea which display I should get.

System Memory:
    If I plan to upgrade the RAM later to 16gb, which option should I go with for that?

SSD Cache:
    I'm not sure if I need that. What is your opinion about that?

Hard Drive:
    I think I will go with the 500gb 7200 rpm hard drive. The SSDs are just too expensive.

Optical Drive:
    I will get the standard DVD one.

Webcam:
    I will get the FHD webcam.

Mobile Broadband:
    If I get the i7 Windows 8 processor, I can't get the option to have it WWAN ready. What should I do about that? Right now I only plan on using wifi but I'm not sure about possibly using mobile data later.

Bluetooth:
    Will go with bluetooth.

Keyboard:
    I would prefer the backlit one, but you can only get it with system with the Windows 8 logo ( I am not sure what that means).

AC Adapter:
    If I get the Windows 8 logo setup, which adapter should I get?

Battery Options:
    For now, I think I will go with the standard 6 cell main battery.

Port Replicator:
    Don't need that now.

Recovery Media:
    What is that? Should I get any of that?

Thanks again with all your help with informing me and teaching me about these computers.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

here's my 2 cents.

Processor:
    I'm going with the i7 but should I get the one for Windows 7 or Windows 8? Windows 8 I guess. Its the same processor.

Operating System:
    I can get the one with Windows 7 installed and Windows 8 in the box if I go with the processor for Windows 8. Do that option.

Display:
    I have no idea which display I should get. Dual Digitizer for Windows® 7 preinstalled systems with Windows 8 Logo

System Memory:
    If I plan to upgrade the RAM later to 16gb, which option should I go with for that? The cheapest: 2 gig default. You'll upgrade later yourself to 16 gigs for $80 !

SSD Cache:
    I'm not sure if I need that. What is your opinion about that? You don't need it. It's such an expensive price for a small SSD that can help your system boot faster, and maybe run some programs off of. You should instead buy your own SSD from newegg at the same time as your ram. way cheaper, and it will be faster. EVERYTHING will be on your SSD instead. 256 gig is a good size, you can probably find it for $250-300 and takes seconds to install yourself. Then just use cloning software to put the OS from the stock HDD they give you in the T902 to your new one, OR install yourself to the new SSD from scratch. If you really don't feel comfortable with that scenario, then order the 7200rpm HDD. You can always replace with SSD later once you find a deal or something. The mSATA cache ssd is a rip-off option.

Hard Drive:
    I think I will go with the 500gb 7200 rpm hard drive. The SSDs are just too expensive. see above. but yeah, this ones is still fast, and plenty of space.

Optical Drive:
    I will get the standard DVD one.

Webcam:
    I will get the FHD webcam.

Mobile Broadband:
    If I get the i7 Windows 8 processor, I can't get the option to have it WWAN ready. What should I do about that? Right now I only plan on using wifi but I'm not sure about possibly using mobile data later. I'm no help here. Sorry, I know nothing of WWAN. Try calling FUjitsu customer service in regards to it.

Bluetooth:
    Will go with bluetooth.

Keyboard:
    I would prefer the backlit one, but you can only get it with system with the Windows 8 logo ( I am not sure what that means). Which your getting now, so get it.

AC Adapter:
    If I get the Windows 8 logo setup, which adapter should I get? I would go with the 3 pin to be safe. still....You need more power for windows 8 though??? this option has me really confused.

Battery Options:
    For now, I think I will go with the standard 6 cell main battery. I would take advantage of the modular bay battery option. It will be more expensive to buy seperately down the road and is one of the most useful accessories for the modular bay, nearly all day battery life!

Port Replicator:
    Don't need that now.

Recovery Media:
    What is that? Should I get any of that? Yes. It will make it easier by 10x if in the future you want to switch to a SSD or if your HDD fails and you need to reinstall your OS. Its worth the $5
    My Fujitsu T902

Wife's Sony Vaio Duo 13

Pen Pal - Newbie

here's my 2 cents.

System Memory:
    If I plan to upgrade the RAM later to 16gb, which option should I go with for that? The cheapest: 2 gig default. You'll upgrade later yourself to 16 gigs for $80 !
    It says it only only have one empty slot. I'm assuming I can take out the RAM that is already in it and replace it with two 8gb's right?
    Last edited by nwagner23; 04-22-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Thread Information