Lenovo yoga 13 VS Sony vaio duo 11

+ Reply to Thread

Default Lenovo yoga 13 VS Sony vaio duo 11

Hi fellow members

I've finally saved up enough money to buy a convertible to my liking
    Ultimately it came down to the lenovo yoga 13 and vaio duo 11.
    My purposes are to use the convertibles for microsoft office, PDF reading, internet browsing, watching full hd video's, drawing and maybe guild wars 2 if it can run. I don't know if those things can run autodesk inventor.. Probably not but it would be nice if it could to some extend.

The reason why the vaio duo is in this comparison is because of it's active digitizer. I will use it for drawing. Its just my hobby, but I still love it.

Not less important is that one of those convertibles is going to replace my current laptop, which is a Vaio S.
    I know the lenovo doesn't have a active digitizer. The reason why i'm still considering it, is because of the super handy form factor and the fact that I still can hook up a wacom tablet on it. However the downside of it is that I can't get used to using it. That's why I'm actually looking for one with an active digitizer. I used in the past the asus ep121, samsung slate 7, samsung smart pc pro. I returned the smart pc pro because it had connection problems with the keyboard dock.

Initially I almost wanted to buy the sony first but there are few things holding me back.
    - low bang for buck ratio in my opinion. (I'm talking about the vaio duo with an i5 128GB ssd 4GB ram and costs about 1399 in my area)
    - Problems with flickering display on low brightness.
    - Ntrig compatibility ???
    - Non expandable ram as it is soldered on the motherboard.
    - Non replaceable SSD as it is soldered on the motherboard

Plus points are:
    + Compact
    + Full HD screen
    + active digitizer (this is the main reason why I wanted this tablet)
    + Optional extended battery
    + back lit keyboard

Well then I saw the lenovo. I liked the form factor instantly. You keep the laptop experience, while you can change the laptop into a mode fitting your needs,
    Minor points are
    - lack of an active digitizer
    - No back lit keyboard
    - No extended battery

Plus points:
    + form factor
    + space for a second msata SSD (I really like this option)
    + upgradeable ram
    + notebook experience
    + bigger keyboard than the duo 11
    + bigger screen
    + quick charge (full charge in 45 min)
    + cheaper ( costs 1199 and you get 128GB with 4GB ram with an i5 processor which is the same as the duo)

So obviously the lenovo has more positive points and it is still cheaper.

But this is the point where I can't decide. Is the vaio duo 11's active digitizer worth the extra money.
    I want to use those devices it at least one year

What I would like to know is what you guys would do in this situation. Which one would you choose and why? Feel free to give me advise and your opinions!!

Thanks in advance

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Lenovo yoga 13 VS Sony vaio duo 11

Not sure about which one to prefer, although the Sony looks better in my opinion, and many happy owners of them on here... just thought I'd say I think you could run inventor (modest sized projects) ok on either computer. HD4000 and the new processors woudl be able to handle that software. I've been running 3D programs lately on my systems HD4000 and its pretty impressive.

An aside, if you want a notebook experience with an active digitizer and slate mode when you need it, have you looked at Lenovo's X230t? It would be more powerful and upgradeable than both, has wacom, not ntrig, and is still roughly in the same price range.
    Last edited by stoneseeker; 02-15-2013 at 10:58 PM.
    My Fujitsu T902
    -i7-3520M -16 gigs of RAM -512 gig SSD -extra modular bay battery -Wacom penabled dual digitizer 13.3" 1600x900

Wife's Sony Vaio Duo 13
    -i5 4200U -8 gigs RAM -256 gig SSD -Ntrig Duosense 2 dual digitizer 13.3" 1920x1080

2D animator and illustrator - Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=272229
    - Animation:http://www.artofstoneseeker.blogspot.ca/

Pen Pro - Senior Member

If you're in for more solid quality and touchscreen features, I would prefer the Lenovo Yoga 13. I like the part when you can fold it back so you can use it like a tab.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneseeker View Post
    Not sure about which one to prefer, although the Sony looks better in my opinion, and many happy owners of them on here... just thought I'd say I think you could run inventor (modest sized projects) ok on either computer. HD4000 and the new processors woudl be able to handle that software. I've been running 3D programs lately on my systems HD4000 and its pretty impressive.

An aside, if you want a notebook experience with an active digitizer and slate mode when you need it, have you looked at Lenovo's X230t? It would be more powerful and upgradeable than both, has wacom, not ntrig, and is still roughly in the same price range.
    Yes I did look at it and I do agree it has the best of both worlds but in my country it is hard to find one. There are a couple of webshops but they sell it for 1800 euro's (aprox $2400) for the i5 config, which is quite a big difference with the other two. I dont't want to buy via ebay because I already lost once over 1000 dollars there)

Scribbler - Standard Member

The sony duo 11's mini keyboard is too small for me,

Thanks guys, I went with the yoga 13.

Thread Information