Samsung ativ 500T vs Asus Vivo Tab t810

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Samsung ativ 500T vs Asus Vivo Tab t810

1. What is your budget?
    1000$

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    No

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Notebook convertible.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    5 to7-inches
    7.1 to 10-inches
    10 to 13-inches
    Above 13-inches

10-13 inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    I live in Denmark, but whereever i can find the product.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    no

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    i prefer decent battery, but i was used to an old notebook with 2 hours roughly.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Email, web surfing, notetaking, word processing, calculations in math programs aka. Maple, small programming in GAMS etc, but nothing big.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows 8

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    not really

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Would be nice indeed, but not requirements.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    No experience with pens, but i would prefer a pen for notetaking.

So i've been browsing the net a lot and found these 2 hybrids, problem is i can't really find out if one is better than the other, or if there even is a significant difference between the two. Other tablets are also welcome aslong as you can attach a keyboard to it, so my productivity isen't only based on touch.

Thanks in advance!

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: Samsung ativ 500T vs Asus Vivo Tab t810

I'm considering the same tablets right now. I had the 700T and it was overkill for what I wanted, plus I found it hard to hit the tiny buttons on a 1080p screen. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Vivotab for a few reasons. A) The reviews on Amazon seem better for it (take that with a grain of salt.) B) the keyboard dock (if I choose to get one down the line) includes a battery. C)The 700T (and 500T) have some odd dimensions, it seems like they were made to be held in landscape and not portrait.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh and the 700T/500T has a rather small stylus w/ no eraser. The fact that it docks in the tablet is nice, but I would probably buy a third-party stylus. The asus stylus is full-sized with and eraser, but I'm not sure if it docks in the tablet or not (I don't think it does.) Another very minor thing is the casing for the 500T is hard plastic where the vivotab is brushed metal. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Samsung Ativ 500T and Asus Vivo Tab t810 both are really amazing gadgets. But I would suggest to buy Samsung Ativ 500T because Samsung is one of the best brand in tablet and you can access very easy functionality.
    Last edited by jemyclarke; 02-16-2013 at 02:26 AM.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jemyclarke View Post
    Samsung Ativ 500T and Asus Vivo Tab t810 both are really amazing gadgets. But I would suggest to buy Samsung Ativ 500T because Samsung is one of the best brand in tablet and you can access very easy functionality.
    I ordered the VivoTab t810 today. I'll let you know what I think. The driver issues are worrying me. Plus it was $170 more expensive than the 500T (I'm not ordering the keyboard docks.) I really like Samsung devices (I use their SSDs and other items a lot,) but I also love Asus motherboards. Asus' support is pretty horrendous, but 95% of the time you don't need it (on their motherboards..)

Reasons I decided on the VivoTab over the ATIV: the build quality (case and keyboard particularly) seems higher in the Asus; the full size stylus (although no dock so it's easier to lose The screen dimensions (They seem a little more squarish, and when I used the 700T it seemed too long for me and finally the battery in the keyboard dock if I decide to purchase the dock in the future. If I don't like the VivoTab I'll go after the 500T cause it's $170 cheaper even though I'll mainly be settling and dealing with any problems it might have. The issues with both devices seem very similar.

I'll let you know what I think after I mess around with it for a few days. It was a very tough decision (I went back and forth on the 500T and the vivotab for about a week and a half.)

Scribbler - Standard Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tokekin View Post
    I ordered the VivoTab t810 today. I'll let you know what I think. The driver issues are worrying me. Plus it was $170 more expensive than the 500T (I'm not ordering the keyboard docks.) I really like Samsung devices (I use their SSDs and other items a lot,) but I also love Asus motherboards. Asus' support is pretty horrendous, but 95% of the time you don't need it (on their motherboards..)

Reasons I decided on the VivoTab over the ATIV: the build quality (case and keyboard particularly) seems higher in the Asus; the full size stylus (although no dock so it's easier to lose The screen dimensions (They seem a little more squarish, and when I used the 700T it seemed too long for me and finally the battery in the keyboard dock if I decide to purchase the dock in the future. If I don't like the VivoTab I'll go after the 500T cause it's $170 cheaper even though I'll mainly be settling and dealing with any problems it might have. The issues with both devices seem very similar.

I'll let you know what I think after I mess around with it for a few days. It was a very tough decision (I went back and forth on the 500T and the vivotab for about a week and a half.)
    Thanks for giving me such a this kind of information. I really don't know about Asus Vivo Tab t810 because I have only used Samsung devices. Hope I will search more information about this new tablet.
    Last edited by jemyclarke; 02-16-2013 at 02:35 AM.

It's funny how i keep changing my mind. First i was going for the Samsung, because i like Samsung products. Then i heard about the build quality of The Asus, and with some of TokeKin's suggestion i got hooked on the Asus. Then i heard about the Driver issues, and the horrible customer service by Asus, and went back to Samsung, I guess the differences are that small! Right now i mainly leans towards Samsung once again, but not much will change my mind.

Wait and Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokekin View Post
    Asus' support is pretty horrendous, but 95% of the time you don't need it (on their motherboards..)
    I had a motherboard that failed. Asus returned it still defective telling me it checked out. I took it to a local shop that confirmed the motherboard defect. That was my last Asus purchase of anything. The t810 is too expensive to risk that kind of crappy service. Although Samsung is not the best with service, it's a cut above Asus IMO.
    THINKPAD X301 | ASUS Note 8 | NOKIA 928

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jonasvill View Post
    It's funny how i keep changing my mind. First i was going for the Samsung, because i like Samsung products. Then i heard about the build quality of The Asus, and with some of TokeKin's suggestion i got hooked on the Asus. Then i heard about the Driver issues, and the horrible customer service by Asus, and went back to Samsung, I guess the differences are that small! Right now i mainly leans towards Samsung once again, but not much will change my mind.
    Jonas and Bronsky, You're dead-on. Asus' support is horrible. That being said, I got my VivoTab today. First impressions are really good (Waaaaaaay better than I had with the 700T, but some of that may have been the Win8 learning curve..) So far, I haven't encountered any issues that made me think "I really need to update the drivers." The main thing that jumps out at me is the screen is a normal size. The 700T/500T was really odd to hold as a tablet, the VivoTab is a normal tablet-size.

sounds interesting, i can't wait to hear your thoughts on the product! So please return once you have something to say, both good and bad! Thanks

Thread Information