ASUS Vivo Tab TF810c or Samsung Note 10.1 s-pen or wait?

+ Reply to Thread
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default ASUS Vivo Tab TF810c or Samsung Note 10.1 s-pen or wait?

Hello All

See below for what I'm interested in more detail (filled in the form) - basically a tablet, ideally with detatchable keyboard; for reading, pen annotating and doing some keyboard/office work.

I'm attracted to the Asus TF810c, though not sure these 1st gen Win-8 pen-based tablets won't have flaws and frustrations. (I own an aging Lenova X61t pen-tablet which is far too heavy).

I'm wondering whether I should wait for the 2nd gen versions of these Win-8 tablets (released end of 2013? or 2014), which should be more solid and consitent to use.

Though in the meantime, buy a Samsung Note 10.1 with s-pen, and mainly use it as a reader, and do some markups of pdf (ezpdf app) and word (kingsoft office app) - is the screen too small? Is this a dumb plan and I should bite the bullet and buy the Asus.

Feels like I've been waiting forever for the perfect Win pen-based tablet with detatchable keyboard

thanks for any advice/thoughts
    snowcrash101

1. What is your budget?
    $1000

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    No

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Win Tablet

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    10-13in, i.e. 11

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    UK

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Dislike ACER, DELL, APPLE

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    8+

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Reading docs & pdfs; Inking: PDF annotation, Comments on Word docs

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Win; possibly Android

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

MS Office mainly

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

Good quality for reading & inking

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?

Yes, for marking up docs; not for drawing

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: ASUS Vivo Tab TF810c or Samsung Note 10.1 s-pen or wait?

Samsung Ativ Smart PC 500t may be something to look at too. I have complaints about it, but they seem to be mostly driver issues and problems with it being a first generation device. The main hardware complaint I have is the glossy plastic back. All these Atom based tablets are stuck at 1366x768 resolution due to the weak weak GPU. Clover Trail+ is coming out later this year with better graphics that should boost Atom tablets up to 1920x1080 resolution. 1366x768 is okay, but many of us coming from high DPI devices can't unsee all the jagginess around the text on this display.

A nice thing about the 500t is a pen holder built into the tablet (not sure off hand if the TF810 has a pen holder). The full sized USB port on the tablet and dedicated rotation lock buttons are other pros for this tablet. And you can buy the 500t and keyboard for about $50 less than the TF810 tablet by itself. Samsung oddly even seems to be doing a much better job with driver updates so far.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: ASUS Vivo Tab TF810c or Samsung Note 10.1 s-pen or wait?

Thanks for your reply @Ravynmagi

Yes, I've thought about the Samsung Ativ 500t, though believe the Asus is a better built machine and would be more usable. I would've bought the Lenova TP Tablet 2, though feel a 10.1 screen for a win machine is too small for office based work.

Having said that, is it more a case of are any of these 1st gen Win-8 usable for reading and note-taking? Or wait for 2nd gen to follow?

I found my X61t pretty good for notes with lots of room, though it's too bulky to use everyday. Also all the new tablets appear to be 16:9 ratio which is really depressing. (The irony that a 4:3 Ipad is a consumer tablet but has the best ratio for doing office work). I suppose waiting won't resolve that one as a win tablet with a detachable k/b with pen input all seem to 16:9.

cheers
    snowcrash

Thread Information