Basic tablet for viewing Word documents + Email

+ Reply to Thread

Default Basic tablet for viewing Word documents + Email

Hello, I am one of those people who, when they buy a new washing machine or TV, always buy the simplest kind, because I know that even then I will not use 90% of the functions. I am not into playing games or watching videos (my laptop is a Toshiba, cos it has a large memory, large screen and is simply a good "workhorse").

Now I am looking for suggestions as to what is the best tablet for me to buy so that I can continue basic work functions when I travel. The main needs are being able to open documents in Microsoft Word or PDF (editing is less important, but maybe good to have the possibility), surf the net on wifi (so I can check and open mail), maybe take photographs with it as well, oh and possibly have Google Maps. That is about it! What do people recommend?

Default Re: Basic tablet for viewing Word documents + Email

Quote Originally Posted by Sumarokov View Post
    Hello, I am one of those people who, when they buy a new washing machine or TV, always buy the simplest kind, because I know that even then I will not use 90% of the functions. I am not into playing games or watching videos (my laptop is a Toshiba, cos it has a large memory, large screen and is simply a good "workhorse").

Now I am looking for suggestions as to what is the best tablet for me to buy so that I can continue basic work functions when I travel. The main needs are being able to open documents in Microsoft Word or PDF (editing is less important, but maybe good to have the possibility), surf the net on wifi (so I can check and open mail), maybe take photographs with it as well, oh and possibly have Google Maps. That is about it! What do people recommend?
    My sentiments and requirements too. Did you get any recommendations?

I ended up buying the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1). It is a bit hard to use after being used to Word, but it basically does the trick. One problem is not being able to use the inbuilt Google maps without a Wifi connection (although you can save maps beforehand if you know where you're going). You would think that with our technological capabilities, a company could produce a tablet that uses Word and has inbuilt Google maps that can always be opened, even (particularly!) in the middle of nowhere.......

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Upton View Post
    My sentiments and requirements too. Did you get any recommendations?
    Thank you for your message

Thread Information