Need a new laptop, might as well draw on it.

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Need a new laptop, might as well draw on it.

Hi, I've recently taken an interest in digital drawing. I will eventually save up for a Cintiq 12WX, but meanwhile, I need a new laptop because I want a Windows 8 tablet and my current laptop is getting old. I though I might as well get a tablet that I can draw on so that I can start practicing right away. I might be a little premature in asking this since I think only the Acer Iconia W700 is out for Windows 8 with a non Atom CPU. I wonder if I should wait for Haswell tablets.

Also, a side question. What is the relationship between Wacom pens and tablets? If one model of tablet comes with a Wacom pen, does it have all the features such as 1024 levels of sensitivity. Can I buy a Wacom pen to use on my tablet?

Anyway, maybe my question is futile. Maybe tablets are just crap for drawing. Maybe I should just wait for the Cintiq and buy a tablet without any consideration for drawing. If that is the case, disregard the whole post and tell me so.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

$800-$1200. I would prefer cheaper, but those Windows 8 tablet are gonna cost.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Yeah sure, but would prefer new.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

I want a Windows slate. No keyboard. I'm using this for content consumption as well a content creation and the consumption part, I want to do it comfortably on a couch.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    5 to7-inches
    7.1 to 10-inches
    10 to 13-inches
    Above 13-inches

10" to 12". A compromise between portability and drawing area.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

Canada

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

No

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

Not a priority. I expect at least 4 hours because tablets are supposed to last longer than laptops.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Casual content consumption stuff plus drawing in photoshop and painter which means I probably can't use an Atom processor.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Must be Windows. I have nothing against Macs. It's just that I'm an IT professional (drawing is a hobby) and I'd be lost in a Mac environment. I suppose I could learn, but I don't want to unless I must.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Photoshop, Corel Painter

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

No, I have my desktop for that.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

I'd be disappointed by anything less than 1080p.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Indoors use.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Pen is the whole point of me asking here so yeah. I haven't heard of N-trig, so whichever is good for drawing.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

A side question, the hard drives used in tablets are not the regular 2.5in ones right? I already have a few SSDs, but I don't think they will fit in those. Anyway, I don't need large drives. 64GB should be fine for the OS, a few programs and some temporary files which will be transferred on my network drives.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Full sized USB 3.0

Thanks

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: Need a new laptop, might as well draw on it.

Damn, reading the topics list, I realize there is another post for a drawing tablet. Well, looks like we have different preferences.

Thread Information