Tablet PC for drawing purposes

+ Reply to Thread

Smile Tablet PC for drawing purposes

I've been using an old discontinued Bamboo Fun tablet for a while and since I've saved up a bit of money, I thought I should get myself a Tablet PC for drawing purposes. I've been reading and researching for a good budget tablet but all of this information is seriously doing my head in, hopefully you guys could give me some recommendations.

1. What is your budget?
    Up to $1500.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yep.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Undecided, perhaps a slate but I'll probably go for the cheaper one should multiple models be recommended.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Australia.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    3+ hours would be great.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Mainly for drawing, painting, and perhaps some web surfing purposes, but the major deciding factor is that I can smoothly draw on it.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    I don't have any experiences with any other OS than Windows, currently I'm using Windows 7 on my laptop.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Photoshop, Sketchbook Pro, Paintool SAI, you know, those sort of programs.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    The higher the better.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Yes, but this isn't a deciding factor so I don't mind if the device is reflective.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    Yes. Pressure sensitivity is a must. Wacom.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    I'm happy with whatever as long as I can draw smoothly.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    USB ports would be great, other than that I don't care much (I've read up on this topic but it was a bit too much for my brain to process, perhaps I'll do some more research later).

1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    None.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    None.

Default Re: Tablet PC for drawing purposes

Since I'll mostly use the device for digital drawing and painting, would you guys recommend me getting this Wacom Cintiq 12WX instead?

Wacom Cintiq 12WX 4949268614078 | eBay

There are used ones on amazon for about $700+ as well.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Hey dude, word of advice on the 12WX.... I would avoid that thing. I've read a fair share of artist reviews that were hating on it's lackluster screen, poor edge accuracy (for cintiq, it's kinda unforgiveable) and cramped drawing space despite its lack of portability. If your willing to draw on that small of a surface, why not get something that is also a computer, and is actually portable? For a similar price, you could get an ep121 with same screen size, same resolution, and a brighter wacom penabled screen.

If you spend more, you could grab a much more powerful Lenovo X230t which also is Wacom penabled, and falls well within your budget. A fujitsu T901 might be something to look at as well. Someone on here even found a T902 on Ebay new (other) for $1300, which is pretty much the current artists best choice.

There are plenty of options I would consider before going for that cintiq.
    My Fujitsu T902
    -i7-3520M -16 gigs of RAM -512 gig SSD -extra modular bay battery -Wacom penabled dual digitizer 13.3" 1600x900

Wife's Sony Vaio Duo 13
    -i5 4200U -8 gigs RAM -256 gig SSD -Ntrig Duosense 2 dual digitizer 13.3" 1920x1080

2D animator and illustrator - Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=272229
    - Animation:http://www.artofstoneseeker.blogspot.ca/

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Poor edge accuracy is the hallmark of Cintiqs and all other EMR based digitizer displays. It's just that with 21" and bigger, it's less of an issue. At 12", it's about the same level of pain as 12" Tablet PCs.

The biggest issue I had with 12WX was the fiddliness of the set up. That breakout box was pain, the whole thing could never run on batteries, and the surface of the screen was too slick for my taste. Also, @ $1000, a bit of a rip off, but hey, its' a Cintiq so par for the course...

Scribbler - Standard Member

Even though I will continue to use them daily with my desktop since there is no other viable option, I agree. Technology has advanced faster than the cintiq has, and these days it's hard to justify the price tag for a 1280x800 resolution on a 10.5 inch screen for the 12wx. What's even less forgivable is the size and weight. If you look at any picture of it, ignoring the buttons and sliders, 1/4 of the total area is absolutely superfluous. This isn't a tablet pc... it's just a wacom digitizer/screen combo. Like those seen in many tablet devices. Yet you have to deal with the bulky cables which include that blasted box you connect your vga/dvi cables to which in turn has another cable connecting to your cintiq. And then there is the AC adapter. Even though you could theoritically carry it all with you, I guestimate that the cables weigh slightly less than the tablet making it a wopping 7 lbs total.

It would be more forgivable if it had a larger resolution than 1280x800.... but it simply doesn't. Even though the screen is dim and you have to get used to the washed out colors, wacom seems to be unwilling to update their design. This day and age, something this bulky should be it's own computer and it isn't.

In comparison the samsung ativ 700t (mine will arrive here very shortly!) has a slightly larger screen, 1920x1200 resolution, 1.7ghz ie5, 4g ssr3, 128g (78 usable) ssd, at half the weight and 1/3 less the thickness, and 5x3 inches smaller in size (fat literally trimmed). It's much smaller and is it's own computer on top of having a wacom digitizer sitting under an lcd screen. It's not the ideal workstation and if you want true mobility in your screen/digitizer you are indeed at the mercy of the hardware limitations of mobile devices, whereas if you get a cintiq you can use it on any machine... which is the main reason why I still use them since the bump in productivity is still god.

If only they could build a current gen tablet device with I dunno... a mini hdmi in instead of out... ah... that would be nice. It would make the smaller cintiq immediately obsolete.

Thread Information