Looking to replace my work laptop with a tablet PC

+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking to replace my work laptop with a tablet PC

1. What is your budget? $3000

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? No

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? Notebook convertible... looking for a laptop replacement for work

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer? 10 inches+

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? No

7. How many hours battery life do you require? More the better, I know with the specs I want, a long battery life isn't realistic

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? I am a developer for small software company, this would be my primary laptop to demo software with small groups and to take notes in meetings

9. Do you have an OS preference? Windows 8

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? Office, SQL Server

11. Do you intend on playing Games? No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution? No

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun? No

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig? Yes. I'm looking for a laptop with a Wacom digitizer.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? 64GB

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? USB and Display Port

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above? Ideally I'd get something with 6GB of RAM. Core i5 is a must. Again, I'm looking to use this a my primary work laptop to demo software at small meetings and to take notes on. Thanks everyone for your help!!!

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Looking to replace my work laptop with a tablet PC

With your budget, I'd say get a Fujitsu T902 (OK, I am biased as I just got one and love it, but it and its smaller brother the T732 are the only ones with Wacom that I am aware of that currently ships with Windows 8.) What I love most about the Fujitsu Lifebook series: They have a modular bay on the side where you can slide in an extra battery (i.e. take out the DVD drive and put in a battery instead, without even shutting down the computer) to double battery life.

There is also the new Lenovo X230T and HP 2760p (older but still great machine) to take a look at, or the previous iteration of the Fujitsu Lifebook, the T901, but afaik you will have to install Windows 8 on them yourself as they ship with 7 (which, considering where you work, will surely not be a problem.)

Contrary to its predecessors, the T902 looks sleek (and thus very presentable in meetings), has no raised bevel (perfect for note-taking) and has loads of power, you can get it with i7, 16GB, the works...It does not have DisplayPort though, but DVI and HDMI. It is 13inch, you could also take a look at its smaller brother, the T732, it essentially has all the same advantages, but is 12inch.

http://www.shopfujitsu.com/store/lif...t902-tablet-pc

http://www.shopfujitsu.com/store/lif...t732-tablet-pc

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411636,00.asp
    Last edited by PhotoMuis; 12-14-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Added links

Thread Information