Art Tablet for Sai Paint Tool

+ Reply to Thread
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Art Tablet for Sai Paint Tool

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    $1500 because I want to get one right now. $2000 in Janurary if I haven't decided yet.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    As long as I can still get it covered by a decent drop/ spill warranty for a few years, sure.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    There is beauty in simplicity. I'd prefer a Tablet but wouldn't turn away a convertable. As long as it's wacom penabled I'm game.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    10 inches or higher

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    The U.S.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    n/a

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    5 hour minimum

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Drawing. I want this to be my cintiq's upwardly mobile little brother.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Because Sai is my program of choice I absolutely require Windows with a Wacom Digitizer.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Sai Paint Tool is my absolute priority. I can use Photoshop 5.5 to CS 5 (don't own CS 6) for post production but peak performance isn't required for it (though it's definitely a plus!).

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Playing Binding of Isaac would be nice, but not necessary!

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    n/a

Screen Specifics
    n/a

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    The 1280x800 on the Cintiq 12WX felt too cramped. 1920x1200 sounds fantastic in theory but with with the size of the tablet buttons may become too small... an issue because from my experiance penabled screens get jittery/ unresponsive near the edges where these buttons would be. If this were not a factor though, I'd definitely like it!

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Yes but it's not a deal breaker. I dream of having the ability to sit down anywhere, indoor, outdoors, and even mid transit on a bus/plane/train and digitally drawing.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    A stylus with pressure sensitivity is absolutely necessary. An "eraser" head will go unused, but I would like at least one button though two is definitely preferred. My type of work doesn't need more than 256 levels of pressure in a mobile device. I have larger trick brushes I'd need higher levels for, but they also use angle/tilt/bearing controls I'm sure these mobile devices lack. 1024 is perfect though! I definitely need Wacom though because I don't think N-Trig tablet technology works with Sai, which definitely is a deal breaker.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    10 GB free space and 2 G ram is the barest of bare minimums. This should not be a problem.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    I would like at least one USB input. I can cope without it if I have to but I would be severely crippled without at least one. Two is preferred for a mini usb keyboard and a Nostromo Macro Pad I will use for hotkeys while working.

Misc

1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

n/a

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Having used cintiqs for years I would like a tablet I can use with a stand to prop it up in the familiar fashion (a 30-40 degree angle?). Having never used a tablet for art I wonder what options do I have here. I literally know nothing about tablets, tablet PCs, and art.

I have been using Photoshop since I was a wee lad, owning version 5.4, CS2, CS3, CS4, and CS5. I still remember what it's like photochopping at 333mhz processor and a dubious amount of ram so I'm hoping these mobile devices will at least be familiar territory, if not better!

I preordered the Samsung Ativ Smart PC Pro 700t a few weeks ago and from Amazon and it hasn't come in yet. After reading countless reviews about screen, stylus, and keyboard defects and the lackluster build and quality of both the tablet and the dock as well as the lack of a battery in the dock or an appropriate slot for a 3/4G sim card (rumor says a slot is there but there is nothing to connect to, it just falls right in). I saw Shogmaster's video reviews and it seems like the Smart PC Pro is perfect for me in theory.... but so does the Fujitsu T902, although it's a few hundred dollars more than I can afford... though if it's worth the wait then wait I shall. I just need your thoughts on this, because I literally know of no other viable options for using the amazing little art program known as Sai. Being that I intend to use Sai for the most part, if you can suggest a less robust machine I can take advantage off (aka suggest a way to still use Sai on a wacom penabled tablet/ laptop to save money) then feel free to suggest away! As long as it's still something I can put under a warranty!

Ideally I comfortably work at 2000x-3500 pixel widths and generally use brushes 1-11 pixels wide and air/paint/stunt brush 30-500 pixels wide, shifting to photoshop for 1000 and higher if need be, but being a mobile machine I can easily move down to a 2500x2500 max with only the smaller brushes in a cheaper machine as long as it still runs Sai under these conditions smoothly.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Art Tablet for Sai Paint Tool

I think Sai is a pretty well optimized program that could run quite well on older tech even at 2500x2500.

Samsungs series 7 slate from last year (not the ATIV 700t pro) can still be found new and under warranty in some places for much less and has a decent reputation for drawing and painting. It's biggest fallback was the screen lift issues especially with earlier models, but I think so long as you buy it from a larger retailer you can take the risk and always return it easily if it happens to have the issue. Other wise it seems to fit the bill for your needs nicely.

although the drawing on it may feel cramped in contrast to a T902 or one of the newer high res units like the ATIV pro.
    My Fujitsu T902
    -i7-3520M -16 gigs of RAM -512 gig SSD -extra modular bay battery -Wacom penabled dual digitizer 13.3" 1600x900

Wife's Sony Vaio Duo 13
    -i5 4200U -8 gigs RAM -256 gig SSD -Ntrig Duosense 2 dual digitizer 13.3" 1920x1080

2D animator and illustrator - Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=272229
    - Animation:http://www.artofstoneseeker.blogspot.ca/

Default Re: Art Tablet for Sai Paint Tool

I agree, the tablet world is your oyster if you're wanting to use Sai with those sized canvases. Sai runs very light. I have, for example, a 6 year old Motion le1600 that I got off ebay for 200$. It runs 5000 x 5000 sized canvses just fine, and it's a 1.5 ghz single core Pentium with 2 gb ram. I get 3 hrs on the main slate, and can get an additional 3 with the extended battery slapped on.

I'm just sayin'.

If you want more power and weight and cost you can easily get a vast plethora of convertible (and slate) tablet pcs for around 500$ off ebay.

If you want something new, you can (IMO) easily run Sai on any of the new Win8 atom hybrids coming out and get 10-15 hrs of battery life while doing it. That can easily be done for under 1000$.

You can get far more powerful convertibles for more, but according to what you want to run, you may not need it.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    q552 -- Win7 x32, 2 gb ram, outdoor slate for work

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Thread Information