Fujitsu T732 with i3 vs with i5 vs Microsoft Surface Pro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Fujitsu T732 with i3 vs with i5 vs Microsoft Surface Pro

Hi everyone,

I really want a laptop with the stylus pen with pressure sensitivity and I debating between the T732 and the Microsoft Surface Pro. I don't really want to spend more than $1200, so I was thinking of getting the $1,119 version of the T732. I saw some reviews of the Samsung Ativ Pro and reviewers are having problems with the keyboard and writing in the corners. I definitely don't want the Sony duo without the trackpad, and from what I've heard the Asus taichi is going up to $2000 so I don't want that one.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys think the T732 would be laggy drawing in photoshop because I saw a youtube video of the Samsung ativ pro with the i5 processor compared to the T902 and the Samsung was actually laggy. The T732 cheaper version is only with the i3, altho I think it has more RAM, but do you think it would be laggy. Do you think the extra $350 to get the T732 with the i5 Vpro processor is worth it just for this?

Surface Pro says it comes with the i5, and with the type keyboard and 128 SSD it's about the same price as the i3 version of T732. If the pen isn't at least 256 levels of sensitivity (nobody seems to know what the pressure sensitivity is right now) I probably will rule it out, but if it does have that, what would you suggest is the best choice, the surface pro, the T732 with i3 or should I really give in and spend the extra money on the T732 i5 vPro?

I do like that the T732 comes with more USB, the CD drive, backlit keyboard, the ability to type on your lap (looks impossible with surface pro). But I also like that the Surface pro is more portable; the T732 looks bulky.

Thanks a lot

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Fujitsu T732 with i3 vs with i5 vs Microsoft Surface Pro

The T732 should be much faster than the Surface. Not only can you add more ram, have an extra battery in the modular bay, but if your worried about lag in large-ish photoshop files, the most important difference is the CPU. T732 has a full voltage processor, even the i3 is 2.4 ghz, whereas the surface will be using a ULV (ultra low voltage) CPU that sacrifices power for battery life and less heat.

Personally I think the boost from i3 to i5 is worth it for Vpro turbo boost tech. It will boost up to higher speeds when you need it. The real world differences can be felt between the i3 and i5 by a power user far easier than you would notice the difference between say an i5 and a i7. The difference felt between a ULV i5 and a full voltage i5 is even mire obvious as you saw in that video that Shogmaster posted.

Still, if you won't be painting huge documents or using large complex brushes, the Surface may be alright. I'd wait to see someone use photoshop on it before you preorder or anything though.
    My Fujitsu T902
    -i7-3520M -16 gigs of RAM -512 gig SSD -extra modular bay battery -Wacom penabled dual digitizer 13.3" 1600x900

Wife's Sony Vaio Duo 13
    -i5 4200U -8 gigs RAM -256 gig SSD -Ntrig Duosense 2 dual digitizer 13.3" 1920x1080

2D animator and illustrator - Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=272229
    - Animation:http://www.artofstoneseeker.blogspot.ca/

Pen Pro - Senior Member

The problem with the $1200 i3 T732 ain't the power. Even though it's "only a i3", it's full voltage and clocked high.

The real problem you will have with that particular SKU of the T732 is the crappy TN LCD panel they use to save money. They will have really awful color shift, and you will have very narrow veiwing angle where the colors aren't washed out.

With the T732, you probably will have to go up to $1500 to get an IPS panel.

I suggest you go for a Lenovo X230T or X220T at their outlet store. All X230/220Ts come with IPS

http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary...R#.UMFFRYaltdg

http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary...1#.UMFFhIaltdg

http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary...7#.UMFFvYaltdg

Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a lot for your replies! I didn't know about the ULV, but that makes sense. I didn't know about the TN vs IPS either. Thanks for the links, I looked into the thinkpads before, I actually have an old one now that isn't a convertible, but I was hoping to get Windows 8 with touch screen too. It's sad they didn't make the new Thinkpad twist with the stylus. I guess I'll have to compromise on something, but your input was very helpful.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Wait, are you sure that that one is TN and not IPS? I can't find where it says that on the Fujitsu site, but New Egg says it's IPS.

Newegg.com - Fujitsu LifeBook T732 (XBUY-T732-W8-002) Tablet PC Intel Core i3 3110M(2.40GHz) 12.5" 4GB Memory DDR3 1600 320GB HDD 7200rpm Intel HD Graphics 4000

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starrygirl2 View Post
    Wait, are you sure that that one is TN and not IPS? I can't find where it says that on the Fujitsu site, but New Egg says it's IPS.

Newegg.com - Fujitsu LifeBook T732 (XBUY-T732-W8-002) Tablet PC Intel Core i3 3110M(2.40GHz) 12.5" 4GB Memory DDR3 1600 320GB HDD 7200rpm Intel HD Graphics 4000
    I wouldn't trust that page. If I were you, I would screen print that info and buy it from Newegg so that if they ship you a TN panel, you can get your money back.

All the past T7xx series shipped TN panel for the low priced SKU. I don't see why they would change all of the sudden.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm okay thanks. I'll post if it is or not after I buy it, which will probably be after Christmas.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shogmaster View Post
    The real problem you will have with that particular SKU of the T732 is the crappy TN LCD panel they use to save money. They will have really awful color shift, and you will have very narrow veiwing angle where the colors aren't washed out.

With the T732, you probably will have to go up to $1500 to get an IPS panel.
    Where did you get this information? I haven't seen it listed specifically with TN anywhere, whereas I -have- seen it listed with IPS. As far as I know, both the Fujitsu T902 and T732 have IPS panels. On the Fujitsu site, all variants of the T732 have been listed with a wide viewing angle screen. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same panel as the X230T; both are 1366x768 12.5".

One difference between the X230T and T732 is that the x230T uses 7mm hard drives. Not sure about the T732, but it can at least hold two drives, or 1 hard drive + optical drive. Also the X230T has a displayport, whereas T732 has HDMI.
    Last edited by utopian201; 12-10-2012 at 05:23 AM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by utopian201 View Post
    Where did you get this information? I haven't seen it listed specifically with TN anywhere, whereas I -have- seen it listed with IPS. As far as I know, both the Fujitsu T902 and T732 have IPS panels. On the Fujitsu site, all variants of the T732 have been listed with a wide viewing angle screen. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same panel as the X230T; both are 1366x768 12.5".

One difference between the X230T and T732 is that the x230T uses 7mm hard drives. Not sure about the T732, but it can at least hold two drives, or 1 hard drive + optical drive. Also the X230T has a displayport, whereas T732 has HDMI.
    The info is based on past T7xx lines. Fujitsu always offered cheaper version of T7xx that has TN panels. I owned a TN T730 myself for couple weeks. I took a chance on a eBay listing knowing I had a small chance of landing an IPS panel and of course it was TN.

Historically, T7xx sold at $1100 or so are TN. Above $1400 were IPS. The T732 follows similar pricing scheme, which gives it more than likely chance that they still have TN versions.

Pen Pal - Newbie

I see. Wow I just realized that the X230T does have touch and stylus input! It comes with Win7 but I guess I could buy win8. X230T is on sale now 20% off. Which do you think would be better, X230T or T732?

Thread Information