The best tablet on the market to use with Microsoft Excel??

+ Reply to Thread

Default The best tablet on the market to use with Microsoft Excel??

Hi

I am looking for a new tablet that works best with Microsoft excel, I understand that Microsoft do not have an official app as yet, but in 2013 they will be releasing an Office app, is this right?

From what I have read, it seems the Galaxy Note 10.1 is the best option, is this the general consensus?

I currently own an ipad as a 'toy', which I do love, but it helps me in no way whatsover from a work point of view (accountant). I downloaded the 'numbers' app, and for a start you cannot load spreadsheets and edit them, but the worst thing about it is actually using, it is too fiddly.

Does anyone have any views on which tablet is best for excel spreadsheets?

Thank you in advance

David

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: The best tablet on the market to use with Microsoft Excel??

Quote Originally Posted by norts6 View Post
    Hi

I am looking for a new tablet that works best with Microsoft excel, I understand that Microsoft do not have an official app as yet, but in 2013 they will be releasing an Office app, is this right?

From what I have read, it seems the Galaxy Note 10.1 is the best option, is this the general consensus?

I currently own an ipad as a 'toy', which I do love, but it helps me in no way whatsover from a work point of view (accountant). I downloaded the 'numbers' app, and for a start you cannot load spreadsheets and edit them, but the worst thing about it is actually using, it is too fiddly.

Thank you in advance

David
    Where have you heard that the Galaxy Note 10.1 would do well with Excel? I have an Android tablet, and all of the Excel copy cat programs do not come anywhere near the functionality or reliability of the real Excel.

Honestly, I'd buy a Microsoft Surface tablet. It actually runs Excel 2013 today (there's no confirmation that MS is releasing Office for either Android or iOS, its all just speculation).

Surface Pro 2 & Sony Vaio Duo 11 (currently on eBay)
    Mobile: iPad Mini and Lumia 925
    Past Notebooks and tablets: Sony Tap 11 (perfect except for battery life), a few generations of Vaio Z, some Android and Windows experiments (HTC Flyer, Archos 9, HP Slate 500), and way back when I had a couple of Dells

Thank you for your response.

I had read in a few magazines, and articles online that the Note was a decent tablet to use/save/edit spreadsheets on.

I hadn't even heard of the Surface tablet, I have since googled and I have even called Microsoft. I am very excited about this, definitely what I need. I am going to wait until Feb 2013 for the Pro version to be released here in the UK. Although the price seems to be quite high, looking at about 650 ($1000).

Thank you for your response.

I had read in a few magazines, and articles online that the Note was a decent tablet to use/save/edit spreadsheets on.

I hadn't even heard of the Surface tablet, I have since googled and I have even called Microsoft. I am very excited about this, definitely what I need. I am going to wait until Feb 2013 for the Pro version to be released here in the UK. Although the price seems to be quite high, looking at about 650 ($1000).
    When it comes to office docs (and particularly spreadsheets) the biggest problem with any tablet is the interface - and the biggest problem with the iPad is the lack of ability to plug in a mouse to solve that problem.

The 3rd party apps are a long way from perfect and nothing like the offering available on the Surface (even the RT), but there is another way if you enjoy tinkering. My wife recently needed a tablet and opted for a Nexus 10 which after a couple of hours in my hands is now toting a fully working Ubuntu 12 installation complete with LibreOffice.

What I will say is that my wife needs the device MAINLY for email and web access, plus viewing fairly simple office docs - it's a rarity that she receives more complex files and rarer still that she needs to edit them. Running LibreOffice requires something of a process, not a difficult one, but you wouldn't want to do it for every document.

If you are going to be constantly editing these complicated documents I'd go for the Surface (Or better yet, a laptop!). If, on the other hand, it's an occasional thing then what the Nexus does is allow you to have a full desktop office editor for a considerable amount less than Surface and allow you to plug in a (or wirelessly connect) a keyboard and mouse.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I have an Asus EP121, I think now they are BP121's. Has I-5, I upgraded to an larger Intel mSata and do a lot of Excel work on mine. It's a tabby, easy to travel with and mine uses win7 pro and office 2003 on it. BT or USB KB and mouse. I need it because I am in the field a lot, but still need actual Office on it for my work. You can find win7 or win8 tabbys that work well with Excel. I have found that third party solutions to Excel are lacking in either function or familiarity. Look around and good luck.
    Asus ep121: 4GB, Intel 310 SSD
    Asus G73JH: 8GB, Intel X-25m SSD, 500GB Scorpio Black HDD
    Sager 12GB, Intel 510 SSD, 500GB HDD, Nvidia GTX 485m

Scribbler - Standard Member

I didn't see any type of posts like this. Because I have two tablet but I have never use Microsoft office application in my both tablet even I also don't know how to start. Hope I will get information on this topic.
    Last edited by jemyclarke; 02-16-2013 at 03:22 AM.

Hi

Thank you in advance

David
    Hi David,

From another accountant's point of view, I would agree with some comments that if you really need to work on excel, right now you are better off with a laptop. A workaround you can try is to keep your laptop/pc at your home/office on and work remotely with your ipad via teamviewer or the likes, using remote log in. However, you need good and reliable connections at both ends. Also expect to work at a much slower pace as you do not have the versatility of the standard keyboard and mouse.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Re: tablet vs laptop. The sweet thing about the Surface is that you're really not compromising on this point. The Surface converts into a laptop seamlessly, without a weight penalty. That's the whole point of the hybrids - they can be a tablet when you want, and a laptop when you want. The Surface accomplishes this dual nature in the most portable way.

However, if cost is a concern, and you don't care about weight (e.g., 3 lb instead of 2 lb) or about a FHD screen (very few ultrabooks in the 12-13" size carry FHD screens), then certainly opting for a laptop would open your options enormously while being very cost effective.

And finally, if you don't care about having an active digitizer, it seems a bit overkill for you to buy a top-of-the-line machine with a Wacom digitizer, eh?
    Thinkpad X41t | Thinkpad X61t | Motion Computing CL900 | Microsoft Surface Pro

Thread Information