Looking for a simple tablet for note-taking?

+ Reply to Thread
    a__

Default Looking for a simple tablet for note-taking?

I consider myself fairly tech-savvy, but I don't really know the tablet lingo, so forgive me if something doesn't make sense!

1. What is your budget?
    Preferably under $200.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Eh, rather not, but not totally against it.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Definitely donít want anything loaded down with media. Slate type is preferable.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    ~8.5 x 11Ē

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Not really. Something that would work well with Apple products, but not an iPad. It doesn't need to be specially tailored for Apple products or anything, I just need to know that it will work the way it's supposed to.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    As long as possible. Preferably something similar to the Kindle in its minimal energy consumption.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Note-taking, some doodling. I'll be using it for school. Word processingÖ Iíd like for it to be able to recognize my hand-writing and put it into text thatís easy to work with in MS word once itís made it to my computer, if that makes sense.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Mac.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    MS Office, but not necessarily directly on the tablet. Just needs to transfer over fairly seamlessly.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Nope.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Nope.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    Not really.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    I would like to use it both indoors and outdoors, but Iíd primarily be using it indoors.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    A pen is a must, with pressure sensitivity. N-trig is preferable, as long as I can switch to pen-only when necessary. And the pen-holders are nice as well, as Iím not good with keeping up with things, though not essential.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    As much as possible, but price is more important than memory. Expandable memory would be nice.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    A fullsized USB and/or fullsized SD slot.
    Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    -Wifi capabilities for syncing my notes to my laptop would be nice if it wonít drive the cost up too much.
    -Option to add a physical keyboard would definitely be a plus.
    -I'd prefer something mainstream enough that there are plenty of accessories available.
    -(I think) Iím looking for something in the league of the Boogie Board RIP or the nonexistent NoteSlate. I like the Boogie Board, but I donít really know of any other options to compare it to and I want to see whatís out there.

a__

Default Re: Looking for a simple tablet for note-taking?

I might add as well that I don't want a bright, battery-draining, LCD type screen. I'd prefer something more like that of the Kindle.

Pen Pal - Newbie

I think only the Kindle has that kind of screen (eInk).
    A friend of mine is showing off his Adam slate -- it's a tablet made in India that uses PixelXi LCD technology that makes for a low-power, high-contrast screen. The image isn't going to be as bright as with LED/LCD, but it will be more visible on a sunny day.

That said, whats wrong with an older generation iPad? The 1st gen 16GB models are on eBay for US$200~250. Ditto with first-gen ASUS Transformers (TF101) -- though their keyboard/battery add-on is another US$100.

If you don't mind the old age, Motion Computing has a reliable line of Intel-powered slates like the LE1600 or M1400. About as powerful as a modern tablet, but the battery won't last as long.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

So you want a new device, 8x11 that has pen with pressure sensitivity for 200? I don't think you are going to find what you want in that price range but here goes.

HTC Flyer, its a 7'' with N-trig and I've seen new ones selling for right around 200 on Ebay. Other then that I'm at a lost.

You could try for an HP Slat. I believe that also uses N-trig and Ive seen a few used ones sell in the 200 to 350 range. I think those are your best two choices. The Slate is Windows and the Flyer is Android.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 can be had for double what you want to spend but its Wacom (which I like better). Honestly, HTC flyer is your best bet for a new one or you may have to go to an older tablet but more then likely those will be used.
    iPad, The New/Old iPad 3, 64GB Verizon.
    MacBook Air 1.8, 2GB Ram, 128GB, Nvda 320m.
    Asus G73JH Intel i7 500GB, 6GB 1G ATI 5870
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 16GB
    Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T 64GB
    HP TC1100. Pent M 1.1Ghz 2GB Ram, 32Gb SSD (very close to retirement.)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Forgot to add since you didn't want LCD. You might want to consider something like the ASUS Eee Note EA800, it has 13 hours of battery, has pen and is a 8" note taking tablet.,. Only place you can find those are on Ebay for under 200. It doesn't support Mac though.
    Last edited by Synergi; 12-01-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    iPad, The New/Old iPad 3, 64GB Verizon.
    MacBook Air 1.8, 2GB Ram, 128GB, Nvda 320m.
    Asus G73JH Intel i7 500GB, 6GB 1G ATI 5870
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 16GB
    Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T 64GB
    HP TC1100. Pent M 1.1Ghz 2GB Ram, 32Gb SSD (very close to retirement.)

Thread Information