General Use Tablet

+ Reply to Thread

Question General Use Tablet

Here is the form.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? $100 - $200

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?I prefer new but I might if the price is right

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? not sure what this means

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer? 10 to 13-inches - might go smaller

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? Michigan,USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? No -new to tablets

7. How many hours battery life do you require? 5 hours would probably do no less then 3

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc) email, websurfing, word processing, youtube, movies, mp3s

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently? Android, I don't trust Win8 and don't like macs

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc) Microsoft Office, I use Google Docs a lot

11. Do you intend on playing Games?small time waster games are good enough. I don't intend on gaming.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? No home theater system

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution? clear enough to watch a movie

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Probably not

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    I just want it to work. Pen, finger I don't care.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? Hard drive doesn't matter as long as I can plug in a usb drive or use flash cards

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs? Full usb would be nice to plug in memory sticks but those small cards that you use in cameras are fine. HDMI would be nice for the future but at the moment I don't have a hdmi device to plug into

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above? This tablet is for fun. I would use it to look up things on the internet (needs a decent browser), watch movies, play mp3s, and sometimes read google docs or .doc, .txt, exel. A camera would be nice but doesn't have to be fancy. Support for a physical keyboard attachment would be nice but not mandatory.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration? I am fairly flexible and just want a general use tablet that doesn't cost too much.

Thank You.

Shiny

Default Re: General Use Tablet

At that price range, the Google Nexus 7 is probably the best option. It sells for $199 with 16 gb of storage, a fast processor, and a high-res screen. You won't find anything with MS Office at that price range (right now, the only tablets with MS Office are Windows RT tablets, and you don't want Windows), but Android devices like the Nexus 7 will play very nicely with Google Docs.

As for keyboards, you'll have to get something from a third-party accessory maker, but there are options for the Nexus 7 out there, like this: Amazon.com: MiniSuit Google Nexus 7 Bluetooth Keyboard Case + Stand (Slim Rubberized Non-Slip Grip Back): MP3 Players & Accessories
    VAIO Duo 11 (i3-3217U, 11.6" 1080p IPS, N-Trig stylus, Windows 8.1). My video review; handwriting test.
    VAIO F2390X (i7-2670QM, 540M, 16.4" 1080p, Windows 8.1 Pro). My video review.
    Samsung Galaxy S III (U.S. Cellular, Android 4.3 with TouchWiz skin). My review.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't need office but only view and edit google docs occasionally which you said works so that is good. I will check out the Nexus 7. Thank You.

I like everything on the Nexus 7 except for the lack of expandable storage. I'm stuck with 16GB. I have a feeling I would run out of space quickly. I read a comment on a review of it that said you could buy a micro usb adapter and then plug in a memory stick or usb hard drive to it. Is this complete rubbish? It sounds like it.

Thread Information