Screen protectors for older devices (Tecra M7)?

+ Reply to Thread
    Dog
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Screen protectors for older devices (Tecra M7)?

I recently got hold of a refurbished Tecra M7 and aside from a few bits of dust stuck under the screen the surface looks pretty great. I cleaned it up a little and booted the machine so I could play around with the Wacom pen, opting to play a quick game of Minesweeper and Solitaire to test the default calibration and to get a "feel" for the unit. 5 minutes in and my heart skips a beat as I feel (and hear) the pen make a 2 cm scratch on the surface: I am not sure how it happened but it did and it quite frankly terrified me. It's my understanding these devices have a screen protector built into the machine so even though it looks like the glass is scratched it's actually on whatever-it-is that covers it (right?). On the plus side it doesn't affect how the pen travels over it but I can feel the indentation that has been made and I would like to avoid repeating this.

Would it be a good idea to purchase a screen protector? If so, where would I go about finding one for such an old and odd-shaped screen (14.1" @ 1440x900), especially when I am located in the UK?

At the present time I am too fearful of using the pen in-case I scratch the screen again but the whole point of buying this device was to use it so I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, as the saying goes!

Any help would be appreciated.

Super Moderator

Default Re: Screen protectors for older devices (Tecra M7)?

<<...where would I go about finding one for such an old and odd-shaped screen...especially when I am located in the UK?..>>

Dog: Perhaps some of our UK-based members will chime in on in-country sources.

As you have discovered, screen damage can occur when you least expect it, and all types of screens can be vulnerable. For that reason, I always suggest a screen protector. Regarding your specific unit, some SP vendors permit you to specify a custom size or sell large, "cut-to-fit" sheets of material. There are many potential brands, varying in writing "feel," relative reflectivity and cost. Because the "feel" of an SP (against the nib of your pen) is such a subjective thing, there is no unique answer and some experimentation might be necessary to decide what might work best for you. Brands include 3M, Photodon, Clarivue, NuShield, WriteSHIELD, Zagg and many others. Some of these may be available on eBay or may ship to the UK.

Good luck...

Dog
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure how many options there are for what I'm after but there's definitely a lot of brands to choose from. I suppose the best thing would be to find some 14.1" protectors that would fit my screen and then research who makes them to find out what others have thought of the products. I've had a Zagg all-around protector before for my old W995 Phone. It did the job but it felt quite rubbery and had an "orange peel" look to it, something that would possibly ruin my drawing experience. I have a SGP (also called Spigen) screen protector and case for my Galaxy S2 and both of those are marvellous but that's as big as they get.

Edit: (I can edit posts now, woohoo!) I measured the monitor and the usable area is 302x192mm with the entire surface measuring 334x210mm (so a 16x9mm border round the edge). A quick search is showing protectors that cover the usable 14.1" area and not the entire flat surface - which is fair enough - but it would be nice to have something which extends the whole way out so my hand doesn't risk catching the side and peeling it away. Not sure how likely that would be but still.
    Last edited by Dog; 11-27-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Super Moderator

<<...I have a SGP (also called Spigen) screen protector...for my Galaxy S2...but that's as big as they get...>>

...Not true. I was able to buy both a clear and an anti-reflective SGP screen protector from Amazon for my Asus EP121... with its 12.1 screen! (However, SGP appears to only sell pre-cut SP. Still, you might do a search to see what turns up for Tecra...)

<<...it would be nice to have something which extends the whole way out...>>

...I think that Clarivue (among a few others) will custom cut an SP for you. Not sure if they are willing to ship to you, however...

Screen Protectors Comparison - Ultra-Clear vs Anti-Glare vs Mirror vs Privacy - Clarivue

Dog
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah, I thought they only did smaller-tablet sizes. Might be worth a look.

I did a quick search through this forum and found some positive feedback on Photodon protectors. It would have to be a custom-cut and I don't know how much the shipping would be but at least it's an option. Clarivue will also be a custom-cut and they offer free international shipping but with the proposed queue time and delivery options there is a high chance it could take over a month to reach me. I've heard some good things about Exim but have yet to look further into it. At the moment those 3 are the best options.

It's a shame I cannot find anything in the UK, you would have thought there would be something like this over here as it's such a common product in today's technology-filled world. The search goes on!

Dog
    Pen Pal - Newbie

After much deliberation I had decided on the Photodon MXA protector which is the ultra-clear version with no anti-glare. Figured I can get a felt-nib to improve the friction or "tooth" at a later date because I don't want to risk image clarity any more seeing as the default screen has a constant ever-so-slightly-wet look to it (rainbow speckling). Because I want to cover both the screen and the bezel I was forced to select the 17" piece for a custom cut as nothing else would fit the 337x209mm dimensions, which brings us to a little over $26 and that is fine with me.

Considering it's a flat item I thought there might be a small saving on shipping but how wrong could I be! When converted the total cost comes to 40 and there is no way I'm going to spend that much on a slither of plastic, regardless of how good or hi-tech it may be. So after a week of looking I'm no better off and back to square one.

I'm still waiting to hear a quote from Exim but I imagine it will be similar in price. I looked at Clarivue and they want (converted) 45 for the custom-cut protector! Admittedly it does come with two of them and apparently it's free worldwide shipping but it's still too high for what it is. As for a source closer to home, I've not yet found a reputable supplier/company in the UK but I will keep trying as I think it might be my only option - even though it technically isn't one right now.

This is becoming a bit of a headache.

Edit: Am I right in thinking that the Tecra M7 and Satelite R25 share the exact same screen and bezel size? I recently saw something during my searches that stated it too has a 14.1" screen at the same resolution and from the (poor quality) photos I have found they look practically identical in terms of the outer casing. If they have the same screen design then I might have more luck looking for an R25 protector instead.
    Last edited by Dog; 12-04-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Thread Information