replacement for my Fujitsu T5010 - which tablet for a Digital Artist??

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Question replacement for my Fujitsu T5010 - which tablet for a Digital Artist??

Hi Everyone

I know these forums get flooded with similar questions, but I just want to make sure I get what is right for me, I hope you guys can help.
    I currently have a Fujitsu lifebook T5010 under the suggestion of these forums! and a great bit of kit but I want something new now, and preferably a little bit sleeker, but I am torn in my choices.

Needs/desires:

-Usage: Primary use above all else is that this is a device for drawing, photoshop/coral painter and other adobe suite programs, so this device needs to be capable of those.
    -Wacom digitiser: cannot stress this enough, I actually heard rumblings of a new wacom digitizer in tablets that does 1024 pressure levels? Although I have no idea what devices use, or will use it... I want this tho if it exists
    -Form: I want the convenience of a tablet as I will also want to use these during life drawing, so I want a device that is a tablet with an attachable/detachable keyboard, I dont want a convertible like the T5010 that spins the screen round, I found this a little too clunky
    -OS: Windows 8 full preferably, I want fully fledged applications i.e: the ones above and all the functionality they provide, so Windows 8 pro will be best.
    -Price.... I don't mind, the cheaper the better really but I will not compromise on quality, but if 2 tablets are just as good and one is cheaper, I will save money plz
    -Battery: I will be using this out and about a lot, the longer the better but no real minimum requirements, but if battery life is low please mention ^^

**If my ideal device is in the works but not released till January 2013 I am willing to wait, so if a tablet that has not yet been released is the best candidate please bear that in mind**

Anything I have not mentioned are not key enough to really influence my decision but if I have not been specific enough please let me know!

I know samsung, asus, fujitsu and lenovo are all in the race but maybe a bit too much choice I just dont know where to start!

Thank you so much in advance for the suggestions!

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: replacement for my Fujitsu T5010 - which tablet for a Digital Artist??

I've been researching for similar needs as yours and I think the Samsung Ativ SmartPC Pro 700T will be worth a look (if you can find one). That and the Samsung Ativ SmartPC 500T both claim to have 1024 pressure levels with their Wacom digitizer. But the 500T lacks the specs to handle heavy Photoshop and Painter use, in my opinion.

The Ativ SmartPC Pro is a hybrid slate with optional docking keyboard. It was just released recently and people have had a lot of trouble just finding any available.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: replacement for my Fujitsu T5010 - which tablet for a Digital Artist??

Thats a great bit of advice thanks, I have looked at the device and it is lovely, very keen to get it, as expected it is expensive though so the whole 'windows 8 lowering tablet costs' thing was a bit of a lie on microsofts part.

As I said if this is the best device I will get this, but are there any alternatives to take into account?

I heard the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 is also using that digitiser? is this also an option?

*Edit* No the specs arnt good enough by the looks of things
    Last edited by SyruM; 11-20-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

yep, sammy 700T is def the best specs for a detachable right now.
    My Fujitsu T902
    -i7-3520M -16 gigs of RAM -512 gig SSD -extra modular bay battery -Wacom penabled dual digitizer 13.3" 1600x900

Wife's Sony Vaio Duo 13
    -i5 4200U -8 gigs RAM -256 gig SSD -Ntrig Duosense 2 dual digitizer 13.3" 1920x1080

2D animator and illustrator - Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=272229
    - Animation:http://www.artofstoneseeker.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by stoneseeker View Post
    yep, sammy 700T is def the best specs for a detachable right now.
    yap 700t is def the best option available right now. and u can pick it up at any Microsoft store. I actually went and took a look at it... but the tablet that really got me drooling was the Surface. I mean the build quality is just so amazing it takes some effort just to make your self put it down. And the idea of using the keyboard as the cover is just genius, it also acts kinda like the 'yoga' so its never in the way when u don't need it.(surprisingly the 'touchcover' is more then capable and imo worth the extra 100) Since, i know they are coming out with the surface pro in jan/feb that will be a full windows experience with digitizer I will wait for it with hope that it will be wacom. Mean while i'm gonna be looking into a way to... i guess lease... or rent the 700t for next couple month.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

pretty sure the consensus is def not wacom on the surface. Microsoft is trying a new pen tech, which hopefully will be close to Wacom's tech, and hopefully with good driver support for art programs, which is where Ntrig drops the ball.
    My Fujitsu T902
    -i7-3520M -16 gigs of RAM -512 gig SSD -extra modular bay battery -Wacom penabled dual digitizer 13.3" 1600x900

Wife's Sony Vaio Duo 13
    -i5 4200U -8 gigs RAM -256 gig SSD -Ntrig Duosense 2 dual digitizer 13.3" 1920x1080

2D animator and illustrator - Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=272229
    - Animation:http://www.artofstoneseeker.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by stoneseeker View Post
    pretty sure the consensus is def not wacom on the surface. Microsoft is trying a new pen tech, which hopefully will be close to Wacom's tech, and hopefully with good driver support for art programs, which is where Ntrig drops the ball.
    Yeah the chance are that it's not. But it had wacom like capabilities where he flipped the pen and used it as an eraser.

My fingers are still crossed tho. I'd rather they go with the tech already available than trying to piece something new in a rush.

Thread Information