Dell XPS 12 capacitive screen good enough to sign PDFs? Or get a Samsung ATIV 700T?

+ Reply to Thread

Default Dell XPS 12 capacitive screen good enough to sign PDFs? Or get a Samsung ATIV 700T?

I have an XPS 12 (maxed out specs) in preorder limbo and noticed the Samsung ATIV 700T had a true pen compatible touchscreen. I need a moderately powerful laptop and I also want to shift from printing paper forms and giving them to clients to having them sign the form on the touchscreen with a capacitive stylus. I expect the software isn't there but I want to know when it is available, is a capacitive touch screen sensitive enough to take a legible signature. I looked at Grahl PDF Annotator 4 and it seems that would work for signing and claims to be Windows 8 compatible.
    The reduced specs of the Samsung (i5, 4gb ram, 128gb ssd vs double specs on the XPS) worry me, but at that reduced price it would only have to last 2/3 as long as the Dell to be the same value.
    Again, most of the time I expect to need a laptop as a laptop but I want the ability to convincingly get forms signed.
    Suggestions on another unit or experiences signing on capacitive screens? I'm not doing art, just taking a signature.

Default Re: Dell XPS 12 capacitive screen good enough to sign PDFs? Or get a Samsung ATIV 700T?

1. What is your budget? Max $2,000 with excelent warranty
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? Yes
    3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? Convertible... I need a good keyboard.
    4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer? 10-13"
    5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? USA
    6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? None
    7. How many hours battery life do you require? 7+
    8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc) Email, websurfing, Office (excel, word), taking signatures
    9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently? Need a Windows PC.
    10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc) Toughest thing to run is office.
    11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. Not a priority at all.
    12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? Not a priority.
    Screen Specifics
    1. Any preference on screen resolution? 1080p, no less
    2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun? Unlikely. Office scenario usually.
    3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig? I want to be able to put signatures on it. Past that I'm not specific.
    Component Specifics
    1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? Minimum 128gb SSD, 4GB ram. Prefer more for long term use.
    2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs? Need USB, would really like some kind of video out (HDMI or convertable)

Wait and Hope.

Default Re: Dell XPS 12 capacitive screen good enough to sign PDFs? Or get a Samsung ATIV 700T?

PDF Annotator works fine in W8. I've used the 3.x series on my Slate 500 and it works fine. One of the most useful functions of my Slate is to sign documents remotely or to have clients do so. The N-Trig pen has its limitations but as a tool for capturing signatures, it works fine.

I think that the XPS could be used as you need and the stubby capactive stylus will work fine. If you have smaller spacesthat need to be executed, you could pinch-zoom larger to get a decent signature. To be sure, an active digitizer would be preferable but I think the XPS will do what you need.
    THINKPAD X301 | ASUS Note 8 | NOKIA 928

An update:
    I have the XPS 12 and it seems like a capable laptop. I tried Adobe Acrobat Pro 11 and it would not let me sign with their add signature tool. Somehow the OS wants to make a finger touch, which my stylus emulates, move and scroll and such but not write on the screen. I got a trial of PDF annotator and it was somewhat better but writing was still erratic. At this point I don't know if I need a hard nub stylus rather than a balloon style or if there is no hope of getting a legible signature. Maybe its too much to ask to be able to write on a screen and the line not be all jagged and squiggly and not look like a real signature.

Try the Adonit Jot Pro in PDF Annotator, it is the best of the Capacitive Stylus's for inking
    Jeff Roach - Surface MVP, MCLC, MCT
    Surface Pro 3
    Nokia Lumia 1520 (Phablet)

Thread Information