Electrical engineer looking for Tablet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Electrical engineer looking for Tablet

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    None, I can spend what I need for the product that will work best for me.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    No preference.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Probably in the 7" to 10" range.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    United States

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No, own a PC, have a iPhone 4s

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Ideally I want a day planner which I can use in meetings to record conferences, take pictures and notes, open PDF's of job drawings and redline/highlight/note.
    Also basic tablet functionality such as email, reading a paper, and searching the web.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    I have always used PC's, my iPhone was my first "smart phone" and apple product besides an iPod. I have never used Android. I'm very open to try new things.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    If it can run Autocad yes! I use autocad MEP for work but being able to open PDF files and edit them is really all the functionality Iím looking for in that regard. Basic word and excel editing would be great. Being an engineer, on a field visit, having all of my information at a tap is invaluable.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Donít plan on being a huge gamer with it but Iím not gunna lie, playing old handheld and console games from 10 years ago through porting like Android offers is very appealing.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    If it has the capability I would probably use it.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    The bigger the better.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Sometimes, really not a big deal to me.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    No pen required, if I can do simple editing in word and excel, edit PDFís, and write notes with ease during a meeting, thatís exactly what Iím looking for.
    If that is more easily accomplished with a pen, Iím open to try it.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    Expandable memory would be nice but not required. I honestly have no idea how fast 16GB of HD space is typically eaten up. I have no problem upgrading to a 32GB model.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Nothing is required, just a way for me to load documents I need from my work computer onto the tablet.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    Nothing

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    I have been looking around and like what I see from the new Galaxy 10 and iPad 4th gen. Iím also interested in the Galaxy 7, Galaxy Note 10 and the Surface RT. Open to others that my suit my needs better.

Thanks for any and all help!
    Very appreciative!
    -Kyle

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: Electrical engineer looking for Tablet

Have you given the MotionComputing F5T a look? Other than that i can also suggest the Fujitsu Lifebook T902 or Lenovo X230T.
    IBM Thinkpad X61T | Intel L7700 @ 1.8Ghz | 12.1'' XGA | 4GB DDR2 | GMA965 | 60GB HDD | WinXP Tablet SP3 | Sierra MC8781 3G WWAN+GPS

There are tons and tons of tablets coming out that will meet your needs, that run Win8. You just need to wait a bit and see how the reviews come in. It's a very new market. Check out the threads for things like the Lenovo Thinkpad 2, the Dell 10, the the Samsung Ativ Pro and Ativ Smart pc's, etc. There's lots coming out.

Do you want a keyboard, or mostly just a slate?
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    q552 -- Win7 x32, 2 gb ram, outdoor slate for work

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    that run Win8.
    If you're planning on getting actual work done i'd suggest skipping the Windows 8 part.
    IBM Thinkpad X61T | Intel L7700 @ 1.8Ghz | 12.1'' XGA | 4GB DDR2 | GMA965 | 60GB HDD | WinXP Tablet SP3 | Sierra MC8781 3G WWAN+GPS

Thanks for the heads up abiut win8- im sure he'll take it into considerstion.

Do you have any tablets to suggest? The 2 convertibles you proposed seemed way more powerful and heavy than he needed. They are very powerful convertibles though.
    Currently own:

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been looking at the nexus 10 and nexus 7, looking for more of a tablet that I can always carry around. The android platform intrigues me.
    Think I'm going to have to go to a store and hold a 7 & 10 inch model to see what size I like more. Not really wanting a slate, just a tablet which can do simple PDF editing and note taking, want it to replace my binder with papers in meetings and at job sites.
    The new windows model is interesting but it seems it will need some time to allow for apps to be developed.
    I like the nexus 10 for the high screen resolution but if I decide to go with a 7", thinking the galaxy 10.1 or galaxy note or nexus 7 still don't know, at this point I need to decide on a size I think.
    Apple still has me thinking because of the amount of apps available for tablets but from what I've read, android is quickly catching up.
    Thanks for the help this far!

Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the windows platform a bad way to go? Would love to be able to edit excel and word files and have them seamlessly open on a desktop pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Thanks for the heads up abiut win8- im sure he'll take it into considerstion.

Do you have any tablets to suggest? The 2 convertibles you proposed seemed way more powerful and heavy than he needed. They are very powerful convertibles though.
    He mentioned AutoCAD so i suggested some heavier/powerful ones, yeah... Besides, he said money is no object

How about the Asus EP121? That my top favorite choice of slate as it's still a full Windows 7 X86 machine with an Intel i5 CPU in a compact form factor. I'm not a big fan of the ARM platforms because you can't run any Windows apps on them - to hell with Apple's money-sucking ecosystem, there is a plethora of Windows and Linux applications that run on any PC.

Windows is great, and all the suggestions I gave run windows. Clearly some don't like Windows 8 and others do. Hopefully you'll be able to get some advice on Win8 that has some real specifics in it. I have no experience personally.

If you want to run AutoCad then you'll need an iCore machine- like the upcoming Samsung S7H/Ativ Pro or the up coming Surface Pro or Lenovo Helix. If you want something light and with better battery life, you should check out some of the new Atom powdered slates I suggested- they'll run every thing else you want, but won't be able to handle AutoCad. All the machines Pesho is suggesting will probably run AutoCad but are heavier too. It's a trade off and depends on what you want.

If you want access to Office and want to create content, my vote is for Windows. If you want to access info, other platforms aren't shabby. If you want a pen and Android, I'd suggest the Note 10.1". Otherwise, I agree that Windows will serve your needs better.
    Last edited by Steve B; 11-03-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    Currently own:

Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't need something powerful enough to run autocad, I can do that on my desktop. Like I said main uses would be notes, PDF'ed drawings, and voice recordings, want a calendar to keep track of meetings and deadlines.

Thread Information