Thinking of a tablet as a gift for my mom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thinking of a tablet as a gift for my mom

1. What is your budget?
    It's a gift but I don't want to break the bank I would say max $500 dollars US

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    no not for this gift

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    i dont have a preference because I've never had one and dont have any experience in this at all

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

10 to 13-inches
    Above 13-inches

Either those 2 because my mom will be using it mainly to just watch movies or check her email

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

US

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    nope

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    the longer the better, but my mom won't take it out of the house I don't think but maybe

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    email, web surfing, entertainment

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    no preference my mom is still using windows xp so its going to be a change no matter what she uses

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    microsoft office

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    i dont think she will play any intense games on a tablet

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    if possible yes

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    not sure just need a nice one for my mom this is going to be a gift and i dont have any info on tablets

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    she will probably be using it inside the majority if not primarily

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    dont know

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    a big enough hd so she can store some of her music and movies

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    not sure

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

I guess the only thing to take into consideration is I'm just looking for any help because I no background or experience with tablets. I do frequent the laptop forums and where I got my gaming laptop. I want to get my mom a tablet as a gift because she has done so much since my dad passed away and she's always alone and I see her sitting on the couch watching some tv shows or movies on an old laptop my sister gave her its an HP probably 5 or 6 years old. I figure a nice tablet would be good because it would be more interactive because I've seen her struggle with using the touch pad on the laptop. I'd like a nice screen or resolution because she wants alot of shows and listens to music on there or streams it. Any advice you can give or help me out would be great. I'm looking to buy it soon I dont know if I want to wait til xmas to give it to her or just give it out of the blue because she deserves it.Also let me know if you think a new laptop would be better in your opinion.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Microsoft Surface RT. will need to spend a little more for the type cover

Editor, TabletPCReview

Default Re: Thinking of a tablet as a gift for my mom

I think an iPad would be a nice option. The long battery life makes it a nice option for using on the couch, the screen looks great, and it's very simple to use. Its ideal for someone who just wants the Web and email.

Obviously, not the iPad mini, you're looking for the full-size version. You might consider the iPad 2 -- it's cheaper but the screen has a lower resolution. You could consider using the extra money to get an external keyboard if she doesn't like the on-screen one.
    Follow me on Twitter at EdFromTPCR or on Google+. This site has a Twitterfeed too, at TabletPCReview.

Thanks guy I'll look into those

Ed - You suggest the iPad but one of the requirements the OP stated was running Microsoft Office...which will not run on the iPad.

I would second the Surface RT with the Type Cover, you can go with the Touch Cover if your mom is willing to adjust to the typing experience. The Windows RT devices include Office RT 2013 Home and Student which includes Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
    Jeff Roach - Surface MVP, MCLC, MCT
    Surface Pro 3
    Nokia Lumia 1520 (Phablet)

I like the way the Microsoft Surface RT is but its a bit over budget, which I don't mind just want to get any other opinions on a solid tablet to buy her.

Shiny

The Surface RT seems like the best fit if you're willing to be a bit flexible with the budget. I think going with a tablet over an inexpensive laptop is a good idea for two reasons:

(1) you can get a LOT better-quality screens in an inexpensive tablet than an inexpensive laptop, and that's something even the most tech-unsaavy person can appreciate at first glance, and

(2) touchscreens are a really user-friendly interface for people who aren't naturally comfortable with computers.

The iPad and the Surface RT are both very nice tablets, but I'd give the nod to the Surface for (1) MS Office included, and (2) better keyboard options (the TouchCover and TypeCover from Microsoft).

My only concern is storage space for movies. What format is she watching movies in? How much space does each take up on the device? Or does she stream them over Netflix or the like?
    VAIO Duo 11 (i3-3217U, 11.6" 1080p IPS, N-Trig stylus, Windows 8.1). My video review; handwriting test.
    VAIO F2390X (i7-2670QM, 540M, 16.4" 1080p, Windows 8.1 Pro). My video review.
    Samsung Galaxy S III (U.S. Cellular, Android 4.3 with TouchWiz skin). My review.

Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm also considering a tablet for my mom; she's never really been comfortable with the mouse on her iMac. I think a touch interface would be easier for her.

I had been thinking of an iPad, my sister who has a similar comfort level with computers as my mom loves hers, but having lived with a Samsung 500t for a while I think she could handle the Modern UI just fine. I'd be worried that the Surface RT keyboard might be too small for my mom and that a Clover Trail based device like the Samsung or Asus Vivo Tab at 11.6" might be better. Plus the performance of the Clover Trails devices seems to be a bit better for the money (and one gets Windows 8 Pro too).

How do the Surface users out there feel about the keyboard, touch or type?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I can't believe Ed just recommended an f'n iPad 2.... Old ass tablet with now now obsolete for a new gift? REALLY? "Need MS Office? Why you should get iPad 2 LOL!"

This site's admins have their head WAY up Apple's butt.

OP, DON'T get an iPad 2. It's probably worst scenario for your needs, which were to A) watch movies and B) some MS Office action.

If you need exact version of Office, then you need a Windows 8 slate. If you can deal with Office compatible app, then you can also get Android tablet. Either way, I strongly recommend that you get a tablet with Micro SD card slot. This way you can simply copy the movies onto the card instead of all the stupid synching business that iPads will require you to.
    Last edited by Shogmaster; 12-06-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2766&dateline=1273874722

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Am with Shogmaster and Mitlov, I think your mom would be better off with a Surface RT than with an iPad, and it has USB so she can print her Office documents directly to a USB printer or use any USB keyboard without all the fiddling around that it requires to get an iPad to do the same things, could probably hook up a USB drive stacked with movies to it, and there is the microSD card slot to also get data on it and expand the storage available on it. All of which I sorely miss on an iPad (yes, there are ways around some of these limitations, but they are more hassle than I'd want to subject my mom to).

What does she do in Office? Like Shogmaster said above, the extent to which she needs it will determine if an Office compatible app would suffice (then Android or even an iPad would be fine), for a lot of uses (simple stuff like writing to-do lists or whatever, doing household bookkeeping etc) there are also myriads of other apps independent of Office that can do the job and can be more fun to use than Office, but if she needs to do some "real" work in it, she is better off with the "real" Office

For an Android device that might be an option, something like this might be worth a look:

Lenovo IdeaTab S2110 Review: Docking Done Right

Edit: P.S., for a quick rundown on what the differences are between Windows RT and Windows 8, in order to judge whether the Surface RT is adequate or if your mom would need a full Windows 8 tablet, check this out:

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-rt-vs-w...on-7000006146/
    Last edited by PhotoMuis; 12-06-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Thread Information