Thread: Slate for a Grad Student
04-28-2012, 09:04 AM #1
- Join Date
- May 2010
- Rep Power
Slate for a Grad Student
1. What is your budget?
Up to $1000-ish
2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
Refurbished would be awesome.
3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
Highly prefer a slate with a keyboard folio.
4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
7. How many hours battery life do you require?
4 minimum, preferably 5+
8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
Notetaking in classes, marking up PDFs, running Office Suite, light webbrowsing, e-mail
9. Do you have an OS preference?
10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
Office Suite, PDF editor, stats program
10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
1. What resolution do you prefer?
2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?
3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?
Matte, but it really isn't a huge issue.
4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)
Not required since I have a stylus, but from my understanding it would have it anyway.
5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)
Pen is 100% required. I have heard Wacom is better than N-Trig, but I think for my purposes either would work.
1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?
3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
This slate will be primarily used for notetaking and PDF editting, though I will be using the office suite, e-mail client, and webbrowsing from it as well. A keyboard folio is required for when I need to type, though it will mostly be used as a slate.
Thus far the search for a decent slate hasn't really turned up much. It seems like the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet might be pretty good for my purposes, but I figured I'd ask.
I'd like to get this somewhat soon, but I could wait a few weeks if something I don't know about is on the horizon.
Thanks for your help, this website has been invaluable so far in my search.
04-28-2012, 11:36 AM #2
Re: Slate for a Grad Student
You'll have to wait for W8 for Arm before you can run Windows office suite. There are android substitutes for now. The Thinkpad tablet is probably a decent option. If you can wait for the Galaxy note, it might be worth the wait. It will have a quad core Tegra 3 processor, giving you better performance and a wacom pen. If you can't wait, I would look for a good deal on the Thinkpad at the Lenovo outlet. Base model (16gb) currently on sale for $387.19.Fujitsu Q552 | 10" WXGA IPS (1280 x 800) | N2600 @ 1.6ghz x2 | 2GB DDR2 | 64GB SSD | 4 Cell 38Whr | N-Trig V-3.5 | W7 Pro OS
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)