Tablet purchase

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tablet purchase

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Tablet purchase

1. What is your budget? dont wanna spend more than $250

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? yes

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)? don't matter

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"
    Compact ~ 10"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from? US

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? i like asus, apple but to expensive

7. How many hours battery life do you require? like 4-5hrs+

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc) surfing the web, checking email, reading my comics, and watching a movie here and there at work.

9. Do you have an OS preference? nope

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc) not sure

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. Nope

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?

XGA - 1024x768 ~ large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen. (no longer available new, must look for used or refurbished machines)
    WXGA - 1280x768 ~ has a wider usable area than XGA, ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space. The mainly used resolution for new tablet PCs since 2008.

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight? Sorta its not major
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte? i like matte but glossy is fine

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? anything more than 16gb

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in? No

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)? possibly sounds interesting

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Another thing i like to point out I can possibly get a really good used condition asus transformer the one with tegra 2 processor and the keyboard thing for $250 locally not sure if thats a bad deal, i might be able to drop to $200 for everything you guys think I should just get that, if all im doing is using it as a checking email, surfing web and reading comics?

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: Tablet purchase

Asus Transformer is a good way to go. It will do all 3 items in your last list nicely. I have one and it is excellent for checking email, reading comics(!!), and surfing the web. Just so you know, while the screen is a good size webpages do get shrunk a little bit, but zooming in and out is easy by pinching or double tapping. From what I've seen, online and locally (for me), $250 is a steal. I'd go for it if you're sure it's what you want. Funny thing I've noticed is that the keyboard for the TF101 has depreciated slower than the tablet itself, the fact that you are getting both for less than $300 is really sweet. When I sell mine I'll certainly be selling it for more!

Oh, and did I mention that the battery life with the dock is amazing?

Negatives, know that the Transformer does not have a digitizer. You can get a stylus and do some light drawing with Photoshop Express and/or Sketchbook Pro, both are available on android; but they are pared down versions and you won't have any pressure sensitivity.

Also, know that many users, including myself, sometimes experience frustrating glitches and lag with the keyboard. When I'm typing in Polaris Office on my TF101 the lag is really noticeable and annoying. When I am in firefox, and possibly some other apps though I can't remember for sure, repeatedly the cursor will jump to a new location on it's own messing up what I'm typing of course. This happens even when the touchpad on the keyboard is disabled, so that's not the cause. But there's a chance you might not experience that problem, especially if you don't use firefox, and the lag might not be enough to annoy you, it does me though.

Oh, it's a wonder for watching movies too. Beautiful screen really.

Please though, before you jump on the TF101, make sure the software you want to run has an android version or equivalent. A huge limitation of android is a lack of power in most of the underlying hardware and a very limited number of applications we actually want to use. Even iOS has more to offer in terms of quantity (but not power). Most of the software I want to run is on Windows/OSX so I have to go that direction even though I like android a lot. My galaxy note rocks.

At your price point, you do have limited options. I know I've seen some older Motion tablets LE1600/LE1700 for around $250 as well as the Toshiba M700 for $300 and the Fujitsu T5010 for $350 and the HP 2730p for $300. That's when I was looking at those models like 2 weeks ago or so on ebay. I know other folks will do a better job giving you some recommendations from that bunch or elsewhere. If you don't need touch, personally I'd hunt for a cheap 2730p.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea the person selling the asus also had a 1 year extended warranty so its cover till august 2013... So im defintly gonna buy it. Yea checked comixology they have an app for android. And found another app that supports my movies and shows. Other than that i think i have to find a way to reformat/ upgrade to the new os than honeycomb.

Scribbler - Standard Member

You'll have to root it to get ICS. Make sure the one you're buying can be rooted. I made the mistake of letting my TF101 update itself and now I can't root it and there appears to be no way to roll back. So watch out for that if you really want Ice Cream Sandwich.

Thread Information