Tablet PC for Note taking + Art

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Smile Tablet PC for Note taking + Art

1. What is your budget?
    500 - 1500

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Nope, only brand new.

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    Convertible (I think... is that what the HP 2710p is?)

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Mainstream preferably but large also ok.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    UK only

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Nope as long as it works! Though if I really had to choose, NOT Dell

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    More the better. Preferably at least 8+

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Notetaking for uni course as well as occasional web browsing + drawing on photoshop

9. Do you have an OS preference?
    Windows *only*

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Microsoft office, photoshop

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    N/A

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?
    WXGA - 1280x768 ~ has a wider usable area than XGA, ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space. The mainly used resolution for new tablet PCs since 2008.

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?
    If possible but not mandatory

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?
    Matte

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)
    Nope, WITHOUT touch is preferred

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)
    Yes - wacom only and must be penabled

Component Specifics: N/A

Misc
    Ideally I just need something to replace my current hp2710p, so it needs to be roughly the same size and needs to be penabled.. Am ideally looking for something brand new and a bit quicker. If i could get any help please with finding a suitable replacement I would be very grateful

Thanks

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Tablet PC for Note taking + Art

The HP2760p is a well liked convertible here and there are threads on this model that you can read up on. I don't know if you can get a trade-in deal anywhere in the UK to reduce the price on a brand new 2760p but at the HP store, all but the very top models are within your budget reach.

Alternately, you might find resellers with lower prices - especially as you will want a full RAM allocation and second battery.

The mainr convertible alternative is the Fujitsu T901, you can change a few more specs on this model than you can the HP - the most important one is that it's one of the very few convertibles that'll allow you to run a non-Intel graphics card.

Again, there are threads on this model in the Fujitsu specific forums where you can read up on foibles and strengths of the model. I believe there's even a few comparisons of the two models.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Lenovo X220 t is another choice. There is a thread already

Thinkpad X220 Tablet vs. HP 2760p Tablet?

another comparison in spec

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 VS HP 2760p specification (spec) review

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by pepper_john View Post

not to be extremely rude, but I can't tell if you are a spammer or just not that intelligent; for starters the info at the site linked [in that second link] is absolute rubbish, hell they don't even seem to have half the info correct at all and the other half is missing! For all intensive purposes a X220t and a 2760p or even T731 or T901 (non-Nvidia) are all going to perform almost exactly the exact same when comparing ones with similar hardware (so compare one with a i5 2540M, a SSD & 16GB DDR3 ram to the others with a i5 2540M, a SSD & 16GB DDR3 ram; you would maybe find 5% difference in synthetic benchmarks but in real world use they would perform the exact same in all tasks)

Next, I don't know if you read what the OP said, but for art and notetaking purposes I see no way a 16:9 device (X220t) is even worth considering over a 16:10 device (2760p, T731, T901, ect...) because the 16:9 devices are considerably worse off when you factor in the fact it is longer and narrower (so in 'landscape mode' its wide and short; in 'portrait mode' its narrow and tall; making it harder to actually use the damned device as you lost physical space), then toss in the Wacom Pen's edge sensitivity problems and multiply it by a factor and you have the quite significant edge problem on the 16:9 devices (for the X220t they released a firmware update that supposedly 'fixed' it for a handful of people, but the majority still report the problem persisting. It seems to be a result of Wacom making a 16:9 digitizer and not really changing enough so the controller and firmware from a 16:10 digitizer, so it has edge problems that appear to be magnified, I think its about .5-.75" into the screen from the hinge side that is not accurate as it sort of bumps)

To the OP, the HP 2760p is basically a updated 2710p that has had a few minor cosmetic changes (keyboard, volume buttons, keyboard light, ect...), its performance (even with the base i3, base HDD, and 4GB ram) will be leaps and bounds above the 2710p you have; It seems you are in Europe so you will have a hard time finding something at a 'reasonable' price so you may have to wait until a sale or clearance of a 2760p, or buy one used (ebay), otherwise try to find a cheapish or used 2740p
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Pen Pal - Newbie

who are you to judge someone who is just trying to help? Actually I cannot tell someone who posts over 4k in less than 2 yrs is a spammer or drunken.

Hum. 16:9 device will not work at all while 16:10 makes a life-or-death difference.
    Last edited by pepper_john; 04-13-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by pepper_john View Post

Sorry, but the information provided in the second link are in most cases wrong.
    Please consider using better links in the future cause no name information (who is the author here?!?!?) is anything else but helpful!

Back to topic: I'd recommend the HP 2760p or the Lenovo X201t as I have both used them. I can say that the HP has a brighter screen and more features like a keyboard light while the Lenovo is more quiet. The write feeling and accuracy is about the same and is less accurate towards the edges...

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 9 View Post
    for starters the info at the site linked [in that second link] is absolute rubbish
    "Absolute rubbish" is a very diplomatic description. I have a hard time describing it without heavily insulting who wrote it.

I'd also recommend taking a look at the 2760p.
    When it comes to discussing whether a 12.1" 16:10 or a 12.5" 16:9 screen is better, those discussions can become long. But I'd personally also go for 16:10 because with the low vertical resolution laptop screens have every pixel counts.

Take a piece of paper and cut it to the size of the x220's screen. Then compare it to your 2710p and estimate for yourself.
    HP TC4400 - T7600, Wifi Link 5100 (modded BIOS), Momentun XT 500GB, crazy undervolting - retired
    3.4 pound slate based on a TC4400

Asus vivotab note 8 64GB

Thread Information