Looking for an inexpensive tablet to use as a portable sketchpad - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: Looking for an inexpensive tablet to use as a portable sketchpad

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    It was unclear what the Toshiba offered that was particularly portable or good outdoors though. The poster seemed happy with his 1600, so I don't think it's power that ls the issue, but rather battery life, portability, and outdoor viewability. OP, come on back and let us know better what you're looking for.
    I didn't mean to give the impression that the LE1600 was too bulky for me, only that I'd like another tablet with cheaper options for replacement batteries. Outdoor viewing is probably a pipe dream with my budget unless I go with a much smaller device.

The Samsung Note & Asus Ea800 are interesting options I haven't even considered. The Toshiba M400 was exactly what I had in mind though.

Right now I have to weigh my options between a M400 & the Asus Ea800 Note. In terms of quality of digital art the Windows tablet wins hands down, especially when I see video of the line quality the Asus Note provides. Still, 10+ hours of battery life, ultra portability & better visibility in sunlight is pretty attractive despite the limitations.

I've got no qualms in using 7 year old tablets provided I can push it to at least 1gb of RAM & I can squeeze 3hrs of battery life from it. From what I remember, when I had Linux Mint on the Le1600 it fully recognized the pressure sensitivity when I ran programs like Gimp (correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks so much for the suggestions. You guys are awesome.

Oh, and the day after I get excited about working outside in the sun, it snows. Go figure...
    Last edited by Billy_Oneironaut; 03-31-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Another suggestion I would make is take a look at the Lenovo Thinkpad tablet. I just got one today and it could be what you are maybe looking for. At least for me its not that large, pen works fairly nicely, with a decent IPS display, and acceptable software options(at least for me).

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Outdoor viewability is not easy to get, indeed.
    At least for the TC4400 I know that there's been an Enhanced Outdoor Viewable display that's quite usable if you don't angle it to directly display the sun's own reflection. I have no idea what you pay more for used machines that come with it, for Lenovos there seems to be a big premium if they feature the super bright outdoor screens. Could be an option, though...

For battery prices a quick search on ebay.com gives me lots of option for about 30 bucks with shipping and accepted returns.
    (For about 55 you even get the ultra fat second battery that's basically unavailable here... *mumble*)

For the TC4400 and displays there's a warning, though: There have been configurations without wide viewing angle displays. Those are total and utter crap, especially if you come from an LE1600. They're like a flat: Rare, but if you get one you start cursing.

But as that isn't necessary, that Toshiba from Shoq looks nice indeed.
    HP TC4400 - T7600, Wifi Link 5100 (modded BIOS), Momentun XT 500GB, crazy undervolting - retired
    3.4 pound slate based on a TC4400

Asus vivotab note 8 64GB

I think I've settled on an HTC Flyer, even though it's not Wacom or Windows.

I know nothing about Android though, would Honeycomb or Gingerbread make a difference as far as drawing apps go? Does the Sketchbook app work well with the stylus?

Going to test one out at a store when I get a chance. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Billy_Oneironaut; 03-31-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Also I'm having no luck finding an HTC Flyer that comes with a stylus. I was hoping to use a different N-Trig pen if I can't get the HTC stylus bundled.

My web search yielded encouraging results, and apparently certain N-Trig pens will 'work' with the HTC Flyer, but I need to know for sure if they will give me the same quality of line & pressure sensitivity as the Flyer stylus.

Bloodycape, have you ever used a different stylus with the Flyer?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I don't have a Flyer, but was deciding between it and the Thinkpad. I saw on eBay user who was selling his Evo View(Flyer in black and Sprint branded) with a pen from one of the N-Trig enabled Fujitsu tablets. Said it works pretty well, and it was half the cost of the HTC pen. As for Honeycomb vs Gingerbread, the Flyer/Evo View both had a software update that gave if Honeycomb. From what I understand Honeycomb actually allows you to use the pen in more applications, but that just means it works like those capacitive stylus in those apps. So far in my one day of usage the there are some interesting apps out there, Adobe has a few apps for 10 bucks each, and there is a also an app or two from Autodesk. HTC includes a pen enabled version of Evernote, if I am not mistaken, and Lenovo has a journal app that can turn your writing into text.

Personally, the most of the reason why I went with the Thinkpad was for the full size SD card slot and the ability USB host, which means I can hook my camera up directly and transfer the images to the tablet. That and fact I already have an HTC phone and wanted change it up a bit, and its a Thinkpad. The size and weight are pretty good, though I kind of wish it was a bit smaller at like 9.4in(like the S tablet).

BTW, you might have better luck with the HTC Evo View as for a while Sprint was bundling the pen with it, plus the fact it seems like the 32gb variant is going for the same price as 16gb Flyer.

Edit: I just remembered certain apps like Photoshop Touch will not work on the Flyer(at least without hacking it), because it requires a min resolution of 1280x800, which most 7in tablets don't meet.
    Last edited by bloodycape; 03-31-2012 at 06:00 PM.

I've narrowed my search(or maybe widened) down to a lightly used Thinkpad X60t and a well cared for Fujitsu T4220.

-The Fujitsu T4220 is $150 more ($300) and comes with 2gb RAM & an 80gb hd, 2.2ghz. I contacted the seller & asked if the DVD drive it comes with can be removed. He says he isn't sure; are there T4220 models with permanent DVD drives? I thought they were all modular & can be ejected.
    -The $150 X60 has 1gb RAM, 1.66ghz and has an 80gb hd as well.

I have a few sticks of 2g ddr2 laptop RAM kicking around so RAM isn't an issue. My preference lies in sticking with my budget & getting a cheap tablet.

The question for you guys though, is would there be anything about the x60 that would make me want to spend the extra $150 for the Lifebook? Every search I've done on the X60 tablet has given me a lot of reservations about picking one up. Nobody will say it's terrible, but at the same time not one person praised it. It seems to run very hot, too hot to use as a digital sketchbook in my lap mid-summer? How common are the hinge & screen problems? How is the wifi?

***bonus question: if I install Linux with a virtual Windows OS, does the pressure sensitivity work in virtual Windows? Or is it the same as trying to get a wacom tablet recognized(no luck)?***

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Billy_Oneironaut; 04-05-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Also wondering about adding an SSD later down the road...

Would I be able to put a 2.5" SSD in the modular bay of the Fujitsu T4220? Would adding this in addition to the 80gb 5400rpm main drive increase the speed?

Would replacing the X60t HDD with a SSD drastically improve performance?
    Last edited by Billy_Oneironaut; 04-05-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Thread Information