Good drawing tablet for an artist?

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Red face Good drawing tablet for an artist?

1. What is your budget?
    Around 1000$, more or less?

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Sure, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    Slate.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Compact ~ 10"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    Canada and China are preferred but not necessary.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Nope!

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    5+
    The longer the better, as I plan to go out and draw often.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Drawing (from quick sketches to relatively detailed paintings)
    Email/Websurfing
    Plus some notetaking.

9. Do you have an OS preference?
    Windows 7

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

As long as I can use at least one kind of art program.. such as:
    Autodesk Sketchbook Pro
    Corel Painter
    Photoshop

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Nope.

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?
    WXGA - 1280x768

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?
    I'd love that.

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?
    Matte

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)
    Not a necessity.

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)
    Yes, a wacom pen.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    No particular requirement.

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?
    That would be nice.

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    Not required.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    I'm hoping this tablet pc can still be found in stores.
    Thanks very much in advance!

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Good drawing tablet for an artist?

You've got a good number of options, look at Wacom based Tablet PC's with Core 2 Duo or better processor. To list the better ones: HP: 2730p 2740p & 2760p; Lenovo: X200t X201t & X220t [dumb 16:9 screen makes it less useful]; Fujitsu: T4410 T5010, T730 T900, T731 T901 [The T5010, T900 & T901 are 13.3" screened]; Motion Computing: LE1700 -12.1"-, F5/ C5 -10.4"- [the ones w/ Core 2 Duo, not Core Solo], J3400/ J3500 & F5v/ C5v

For note taking, and digital art the most important aspect of a Tablet PC is the screen and how well it is implimented [special bonding, polarizer layers, anti-reflective layers and so forth]; in my time with Tablet PC's I have found that the best screens are the Motion Computing 'AFFS+' and 'View Anywhere' 0ptions on the C2D F5/C5, J-series, and the F5v/C5v as well as the Lenovo x200t & X201t Super Bright Outdoor screen option. Followed [by a noticeable distance in brightness, color, extreme angle clarity and visibility, high brightness usability, and lack of special treatments and instead relying on just a matte screen which adds to the loss of clarity]: the HP's, Fujitsu's, and Lenovo's -that don't have the Super Bright Outdoor option-

You seem to be in Canada, so I'd recommend limiting yourself to ebay.ca as the cost of VATS/ect with importing are high; there should be a good number of good deals (some forum members have cheaply priced but new T901's on the way, poke around the sub-forums here to learn more on of these.
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Owning, or having owned, many of the models Agent9 is suggesting, I agree that they have the best screens. However, some are hard to find, all of them would need to be used. They can be very good for an art tablet, but are lacking if you're looking for an "all-around" computer with a keyboard. For that, all the secondary options he's suggested are better.

In truth, they all have very good screens. We're really talking about gradations of good to very very good.

If you're looking for something new that you could still find in a store, then the Samsung S7 is your best bet. It also happens to be a very good choice in many ways. Definitely worth looking at.
    Last edited by Steve B; 03-07-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

You're looking specifically for a Slate?

Really, the only decent machine I've seen available is the Samsung Series 7, though it will stretch your budget by a few extra hundred.

The only near competitor is the ASUS EP 121, but its battery life isn't as good, nor is it as powerful. (However, many of its users love it).

Though, I wouldn't be so quick to discount the idea of convertibles; they're awesome, and when you need a keyboard, you NEED a keyboard. The list Agent 9 provided is an excellent place to start. (And the Motion Computing machines are slates.)

Mind you, it's worth bearing in mind that we're heading into Mercury Retrograde again, (Mid-March to Early April). Any purchase you make, electronics especially, will frustrate and piss you off in one way or another, pretty much guaranteed. Best to wait a bit.

Also, for the record, I strongly suspect that we're going to be seeing some really awesome slates come down the pike in the next year and that current options will drop in price. But under present conditions and with your stated preferences, and a slightly stretched budget, I'd go for the Samsung.

Running Photoshop on an 11", stylus-enabled iClone? Sweet.
    Fantasy/Adventure/Sci-fi Comics: www.iboxpublishing.com

Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah a keyboard would be really handy.. I'm just a little worried because my arms are pretty weak and convertibles are usually heavier right?

Thanks for all your help, guys! I'm not too good with tablets as you may notice..
    Maybe I'll wait a little more for the updates.. I'm not in much of a rush.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Even with a 2 lb slate with S7, you still wouldn't hold it in your arm while you draw.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shogmaster View Post
    Even with a 2 lb slate with S7, you still wouldn't hold it in your arm while you draw.
    Even 4 grams worth of a sheet of paper isn't something you'd hold in your arm/ hand for any period of time while drawing (even if it were -magically- perfectly rigid)

Point I'm trying to make is that you shouldn't worry too much about weight and bulk as they are all about the same, and they all need to be used with something propping it up (be it your knees, braced against your waist and held, with a pillow, a stand, or what not) as laying a computer flat on a table has rather awful ergonomics (makes you hunch over it, the way it makes you rest your hands and arms, not the best clarity of screen, and so on)... basically a 2lb slate that's .5" thick should be used in almost exactly the same way as a 5lb 1.5" convertible (a 13.3" Fujitsu with bay battery is right about those) and there will be little difference during use... But, there are a few special ones like the Motion F5/ C5/ F5v/ C5v that have a large [and rather well implemented] 'handle' built in that makes it quite easy to grab and hold with bare hands or gloved hands; its a bit odd, but I really like the design.

Convertibles are a bit heavier concerning how light just the unit by itself is; add in a BT keyboard, maybe a folio/ case and a mouse/ external trackpad to a slate and you are over the weight and bulk of a convertible by a lot... and it doesn't even have some of the advantages like the ability to be properly propped up anywhere with a keyboard -while a convertible can be used exactly as a slate or a laptop anywhere- and the recent [non-Motion Computing] Slates have had non user replaceable batteries -convertibles [and the Motion computing slates] have user replaceable batteries so its easy to carry a second battery to double run time, or to swap out a dead battery-

As to waiting and seeing, honestly I say look only at what is out now, and what the devices offer and decide on which fits your uses best and try it out to see. If you wait for the perfect device at a great price, and that doesn't have issues right at release, then you are never going to find anything as they all have their downsides, all are very expensive at launch (usually you can get 2-3+ used C2D based Tablet PC's for the price of one new one!) and when first introduced the units made within the first 3-4 months are often riddled with issues that usually are only solved by repair/ replacement (like the EP121's yellowing screen bonding and fan issues; the Samsung S7s and the disappearing Ethernet, screen back lighting failures/ issues, bezel separation, running hot, and so on)... basically with any 'new' Tablet PC you are going to be best off waiting 3-4+ months after release (when people in public start getting them) as the issues will be less severe, and the price more reasonable... but the merits of used machines still weigh heavily, especially the much more reasonable price
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Pen Pro - Senior Member

You are preaching to the choir, Agent 9. My comment was for the OP. I always draw on a table, whether it was EP121 (2.5 lbs), 2730p (4 lbs), or R25 (6 lbs).

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 9 View Post
    Even 4 grams worth of a sheet of paper isn't something you'd hold in your arm/ hand for any period of time while drawing (even if it were -magically- perfectly rigid) --
    Not wishing to derail the thread but the discipline of not having long to draw and not having standard surfaces to lean on is sometimes an interesting challenge. I've often sat bored in meetings or on a train / bus drawing someone and the only thing I had was an A5 sketchpad and my hand to hold it in.

Secret Portraits Set.

I haven't put all my secret portraits up - ones where the sitter reaches journey end or starts to notice that they are being drawn and moves are not on my Flickr pages.

Sorry for the derailment.

hi,
    im glad i found this thread im looking for at 2 slates right now the sony vaio duo 11 and the samsung series 7. i need some insights on which is better for digital art purposes. i hope you guys could help me out.. thanks

Thread Information