Which tablet (if any) a Graphic Designer could use? - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Which tablet (if any) a Graphic Designer could use?

A two button Axiotron pen is always nice. I don't think the S7 comes with a 2button pen.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    q552 -- Win7 x32, 2 gb ram, outdoor slate for work

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Additional ram? To the best of my knowledge you can't replace the ram as its soldered to the motherboard, so you are stuck with the 4GB (?); see here Series 7 Slate Disassembly?

I say either get the two button Axiotron pen [$30 + S&H from Nationwide's website; it comes with several extra nibs] or get a Motion computing Pen (often caled the 'L series' pen, it looks like the pic below) [$34 new from Motion, not sure about S&H but Motion Computing should have a few resellers in the EU area; otherwise you may find it on ebay or some online store]... personally I much prefer the Motion pen as its a more normal size and it has a better button mechanism (it is a sort of integrated rubber piece that works to keep the button from being accidentally pressed)

Other than that anything that would make it easier to use the device as well as possible should be considered, so if you will be at home on a desk or couch or where ever for any period of time please do yourself a huge favor and be sure you are using it somewhat ergonomically (look here for some ideas How to use a tablet comfortably? And you may want to consider some Bluetooth devices like a mouse, or a BT audio adapter (I have a "Belkin Bluetooth Music Receiver" [Technically for ipods and such, but a computer works just as well] and I find the loss in sound quality [mostly minimal] is worth the trade off of playing music from one of my computers sans wires -I did do the 'mod' where you remove the small metal plate to get better range, and it works fine)

Oh, and be sure you have USB HDD's or at least Flash Drives (possibly even Micro-SD cards) around so you can back-up and transfer data on the S7s easily so in case of damage beyond repair, theft, accidentally wiping the SSD when installing Win 8, or even just forgetting the S7s at home and needing access to files
    Last edited by Agent 9; 03-13-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

d21
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks guys!

"Argh!" for the ram... 2 or 4 gb more would have been even better! Maybe win7 has that strange option i saw once on Vista that let you use an usb pen to enhance ram... is that still there?

For the touch pen i'll wait to try the bundled one: i'm used to the wacom standard, so i'll see how it feel to use that one... if it won't feel right i'll go for the motion computing: i think it's better for portability...

I laughed alot with the post about "use a tablet comfortly" those guys are genius!
    I don't think i'll use mine on a desk, or when at home, so i won't build anything strange

Thanks for the SSD advice: i'll stick one in there, to use it as an additional disk space as well as movable one.

---

What is all this fuss about Win 8? Is it really going out so soon? Should i install it when it arrives? I should do it via external DVD reader, right?

p.s. OT i'm spreading the word about this great site, telling how much you people are helping me

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Turbo Boost won't replace actual increase in RAM. The 4GB is the reason that Stopped me from buying the S7. . .

d21
    Pen Pal - Newbie

*ROLLING DRUMS*

The Tablet arrived yesterday.

I'm in a hurry right now so i'll write a better review later, but i can say that IT DOES HAVE A SIM SLOT!

here is the proof: https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2165...slate?h=796068

later everyone!

d21
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Smile Re: Which tablet (if any) a Graphic Designer could use?

ok, first of all thanks everybody to allow me to spend my money for the best device for my needs.

the samsung arrived in a nice packaging: when you open is splitted in half, in one side you have the tablet, in the other alot of accessories: the elegant small wireless keyboard with batteries, the little portable dock, that allows you to use the tablet vertically as a screen and to connect additional usb, big hdmi and cabled internet, the battery charger, and the pen that comes with spare parts.

the tablet itself is great: perfect size, elegant, silent, great screen, great touch after a bit of calibration: there are 2 different touch the hand and the pen, that is because so you can put your hand on the screen when you use the pen, and the tablet knows it has to ignore it.

the battery lasts around 3.5 hours of hard use, but a whole work day (8 h) using it now and then as support for meetings, briefing, taking notes, etc.

these days i'm mainly using microsoft onenote, artrage, illustrator and photoshop, and i'm very comfortable with it: the system is fast and smooth.

the big thing is, of course, that i'm taking my device with me everywhere i go.

About connectivity there's plenty of options: there is a sim slot, the wireless antenna, the bluetooth (which i use to connect to my phone and go on the internet), and the usb port where you can connect an internet key.

when you get the tablet you have only 30 gb available, because the other 30 are used from the system and from a recovery partition.
    but you can use the micro ssd slot to get extra gb of space.

the samsung software gives you an ipad-like interface, too bad that there are nomore than 10 apps for it, but yiu have windows, so: who cares!

i'm really enjoing it!

d21
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Today my second son has arrived:

128 GB FTW!

Around 90 for it (it comes with a "microsd to sd" adapter) + 2 for a "microsd to usb" kingston adapter on amazon.

Scribbler - Standard Member
    Earth, in the cosmic sense that's pretty specific.

these days i'm mainly using microsoft onenote, artrage, illustrator and photoshop, and i'm very comfortable with it: the system is fast and smooth.
    d21, what resolution, size, and how many layers have you been working in photoshop?

d21
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by klachowski View Post
    d21, what resolution, size, and how many layers have you been working in photoshop?
    Hi,
    difficult question... I've not stressed photoshop on the tablet yet, but i had no troubles in editing and managing my photos (i've a canon 5d mkII) with Ps or lightroom or managing big indesign files.

note that i'm not using the tablet to replace my desktop so i've never even tried many thing on it.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Talking Re: Which tablet (if any) a Graphic Designer could use?

hi d21, very keen to hear how your samsung slate is going? i'm looking for something similar too & wading through the options. Also want to know how it handles photoshop & also how do you load the software? my software is on cds. thanks

Thread Information