HP TC1100 or Elitebook 2730p? - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: HP TC1100 or Elitebook 2730p?

Quote Originally Posted by piratesmvp04 View Post
    This offer seems to have everything. Does this look legit to you? HP Compaq EliteBook 2730p Notebook Tablet Dual Core 12" WiFi | eBay
    Yea, I'd bet that is real [its from a big seller that has high feedback, they have no reason to sell you a crap computer or fake you out]. Looks decent, it even has the good Low Voltage processor and not the low end Ultra Low Voltage processor that is somewhat common (I can tell by the clock-speed)... the only problems I can see are: the battery is probably pretty close to dead (maybe an hour or two at most should be expected, not the full 4-5) and the thing has a laptop skin on so the back of the screen meaning it is likely scratched beneath the skin (just don't peel the skin off and you'll be fine -not a big deal as it happens pretty easily, and the skin will probably wear better over time)
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

New Tablet PC User

Ah ok. Well, the battery is not an issue to me since I was planning to buy a new battery regardless of which refurbished tablet I purchased.

Also, do you recommend buying eBay's $54 insurance with it?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by piratesmvp04 View Post
    Also, do you recommend buying eBay's $54 insurance with it?
    I recommend NOT buying that kind of junk; the listing says you have 30 days to return the computer within, so if it turns out it isn't fully working or they failed to disclose something then you can send it back for an exchange unit or get a refund. If you really really want a warranty then your best move would be to get one with Square Trade as they seem to have a decent system and people seem to have good experiences in the few-far between issues that they can't solve (there is really not much of any need for a warranty as you could replace any parts that would conceivably die for a very small price and the work you/ a friend would do; and if something major like dropping it and breaking it in half or killing the screen happens then you are up a creek either way)

In the past the only warranty services I've used was for my motion F5 (which had the rubber feet fall off, and the motherboard replaced because of a battery charging issue -but it was a 'new in box' never used device, that 2730p was used before so any issues that are likely to crop up in the next 1-3 years has had ample time to show itself, and you are more than likely to see any possible issues within that 30 day return period)
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

New Tablet PC User

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 9 View Post
    I recommend NOT buying that kind of junk; the listing says you have 30 days to return the computer within, so if it turns out it isn't fully working or they failed to disclose something then you can send it back for an exchange unit or get a refund. If you really really want a warranty then your best move would be to get one with Square Trade as they seem to have a decent system and people seem to have good experiences in the few-far between issues that they can't solve (there is really not much of any need for a warranty as you could replace any parts that would conceivably die for a very small price and the work you/ a friend would do; and if something major like dropping it and breaking it in half or killing the screen happens then you are up a creek either way)

In the past the only warranty services I've used was for my motion F5 (which had the rubber feet fall off, and the motherboard replaced because of a battery charging issue -but it was a 'new in box' never used device, that 2730p was used before so any issues that are likely to crop up in the next 1-3 years has had ample time to show itself, and you are more than likely to see any possible issues within that 30 day return period)
    Alright, thanks for the info. I hope I can get the 2730p.

Sorry to push this thread longer, but another thing I thought of is if Amazon only gives me Amazon credit in return for late exchange instead of credit to my card. In that case, I'd be forced to pay a premium to buy one from their site. In that case, would the Thinkpad x61 tablet or HP TC4400 be decent?

Thread Information