What Should I Buy? (Questionnaire Filled)

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default What Should I Buy? (Questionnaire Filled)

1. What is your budget?
    -Less than 1200

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    -No, New

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    -Convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    -Compact ~ 10"
    -Mainstream ~ 12.1"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    -USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    -Hp, has bee a headache for me, owned a HP Dv4t-1400, overheating,flashing screen, bad design, I could do nothing about it after my warranty ran out.

-Its not that I dislike the brand, because it may have been my fault for not researching enough on that product

-Hp is still an option, I guess

-I like Dell a lot, but still open to other brands

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    -5+
    -Full day of classes

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    -Email/Web/Microsoft Office/Music/Videos/Notetaking/
    -My main computer

9. Do you have an OS preference?
    -Prefer Windows

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    -Microsoft Office definitively

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    -Its not critical, but maybe Guild Wars 2, its that's too ridiculous, forget it

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?
    WXGA - 1280x768 ~ has a wider usable area than XGA, ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space. The mainly used resolution for new tablet PCs since 2008.
    -WXGA seems ideal to me, but input here would be nice

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?
    -Preferred, but not required

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?
    -Whatever is best for a notetaking angle in a classroom/library

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)
    -Capacitive
    -But then again, which ever for notetaking
    -From what I read Iphone uses this and I like my iphone touch screen

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)
    -Yes
    -Whatever is best for basic notetaking ( I read the FAQ, still not sure)

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    -Larger than 100
    -2g or more

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?
    -Preferred, but for portability not required

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    -I like that sound of that

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    -For the screen/pen options, I am not quite sure, I just want to be able to sit in class take notes, without too many problems

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    -I am looking for something that will last me for my time in school for notes, but also act as my main computer at home until I graduate. 4+ years

-I had looked into the Dell Inspiron Duo, Price is GREAT!
    -I also read that it was laggy, and that it was missing a feature/component from making it better for taking notes.
    -Then I saw it on youtube, running a beta of Windows 8, and it looked pretty decent. Comments on this?

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Default Re: What Should I Buy? (Questionnaire Filled)

The Duo does not have an active digitizer so it is a netbook with a swivel screen. Not sure it is worth having a convertible if all you would do with the touch screen is window around websites with a finger. All notes would have to be typed anyway.

The need for this to be a main computer dictates a powerful device, pen written notes means active digitizer; unless you go used or refurbished it is going to be difficult to find something for under $1,200. Fujitsu T580 is all that comes to mind.

You would be in the ballpark for a refurbished HP 2760P or Fujitsu T731 or T901, however.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix pressed into daily service as of 4-Aug-2014 - phenomenal cosmic power?
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my former main device - do I keep this or my V8P as my sidekick now
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

Pen Pal - Newbie

okay thanks, I will look more into those models

Anyone one else with suggestions?

Pen Pal - Newbie

I looked up the models you mentioned and have some in mind

Is there a specific season that might be better to buy a tablet pc? This coming fall if I can hold off, or will it not make a big difference

If you wait till this fall we will see the first of the Ultrabook Hybrids and we also see new Window Slates. We do not know as of yet if any of the Hybrids will active digitizers, we hold out hope but Windows 8 is all about the Touch First UI. The Pen is supported and even improved (we'll know more next week when the consumer preview becomes available).

If you can wait, it won't hurt and worst case, the current crop of Tablets will be cheaper
    Jeff Roach - Surface MVP, MCLC, MCT
    Surface Pro 3
    Nokia Lumia 1520 (Phablet)

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jnjroach View Post
    If you wait till this fall we will see the first of the Ultrabook Hybrids and we also see new Window Slates. We do not know as of yet if any of the Hybrids will active digitizers, we hold out hope but Windows 8 is all about the Touch First UI. The Pen is supported and even improved (we'll know more next week when the consumer preview becomes available).

If you can wait, it won't hurt and worst case, the current crop of Tablets will be cheaper
    okay greats, thanks for the reply

Thread Information