What kind of Tablet Convertible to buy ? (Time sensetive) - Page 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: What kind of Tablet Convertible to buy ? (Time sensetive)

The t901 has the option of a more powerful graphics card, but no, it shouldn't really matter at all if you do 2d digital art. If you are doing 3d sculpting or animation work, etc. then I think it would matter. Otherwise, I'd let it slide.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    If you are doing 3d sculpting or animation work, etc. then I think it would matter. Otherwise, I'd let it slide.
    And if you need really powerful 3D graphics the GPU offered in the T901 isn't gonna do it either.

With a brand new current machine there's not much thinking about x32 vs. x64. Just get it with the lowest memory possible (OEMs charge crazy amounts for more memory) and stuff in 8GB for fifty bucks. Then go x64.
    Just don't think anything x64 is better because your OS is x64 or because it is newer. MS itself e.g. recommends using x32 Office 2010 for various reasons unless you really need 64 bit Excel or Access.
    HP TC4400 - T7600, Wifi Link 5100 (modded BIOS), Momentun XT 500GB, crazy undervolting - retired
    3.4 pound slate based on a TC4400

Asus vivotab note 8 64GB

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I say your best option is getting yourself this X201t ThinkPad X201 Tablet i7 4GB 160GB Win7 Pro BTooth Webcam WiFi IPS Outdoor Screen (885600071069) | eBay It has lenovo Factory warranty until June 2012, but for $100-250 you can add a 2-3 year plan onto that easily (the warranty would be a 'warranty extension' from Lenovo and it would give you all the coverage a warranty on something like the X220t new would, except it would be longer than you would be able to get it for on the X220t for the same price -if that makes sense to you- so it would be just like a brand new device, and because its still a very very recent machine they will be able to repair it for the next 4-5 years in all likelihood)

The biggest advantages of that X201t with the Super Bright Outdoor viewable screen will be cheaper for a lot more machine- the best screen you can get on any traditional Tablet PC* (16:10 vs the stupid 16:9 X220t) a fast/ powerful/machine that will be very reliable; has a good battery system (no dangling out the bottom to get decent battery life like the X220t has), it uses full sized 2.5" SATA drives so your options to upgrade to HDD's maxes out at the 750GB and 1TB drives, and nearly any SSD is usable (though you would be best to stick with Crucial, Intel, or Samsung); did I mention it doesn't have a stupid 16:9 aspect ratio screen? (who gives a flying flip a about Window's 8 want for a 16:9 screen for side by side Metro apps, especially when there will be a work-around dug up in no time even if they change things; get yourself something usable [16:10] and deal with the rest when it comes time); and it has a warranty still and the ability to have the warranty extended

*I've spent over a year now on figuring out about all the Tablet PC's that are out there and the screen Lenovo used for the Super Bright Outdoor viwable screen is almost the top screen in any Tablet PC. Only in the best displays do manufacturers use AR layers, polarizes, special treatments and close bonding techniques all of which reduce the 'effective reflection' to minimal amounts thus eliminating stray light and most all reflections-in my findings it reduces reflectons about 90% as well as a very good glass matte screen (HP 2730p) but does not diminish quality of what is displayed true the matte does... while the screen on the HP's is a good all around screen [nearly the exactly identical screen used as the Fujitsu's 12.1" 'outdoor' option or as the only screen the 13.3"] they get 'fuzzy' or lose clarity when viewed at anything but directly head on and they also have sub-par colors contrast and brightness by comparison, a significant amount of light shift as well, and they have a 'graininess' that is quite noticeable.

Basically because the Super Bright Outdoor Viewable option is a high quality screen it has the advantages of matte and glossy screens but none of the drawbacks (it was a $425 option and often hard to get even new because they were snatched up fast when available; its not a joke of a psudo 'outdoor' screen option like the X220t has that is the same exact screen as the base screen but with a glass and non-touch screen front). As an aside the same screen [with slightly different enhancement layers] is used by Mobile Demand in their C1200 and it is regarded as one of the very best.
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Scribbler - Standard Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 9 View Post
    I say your best option is getting yourself this X201t ThinkPad X201 Tablet i7 4GB 160GB Win7 Pro BTooth Webcam WiFi IPS Outdoor Screen (885600071069) | eBay It has lenovo Factory warranty until June 2012, but for $100-250 you can add a 2-3 year plan onto that easily (the warranty would be a 'warranty extension' from Lenovo and it would give you all the coverage a warranty on something like the X220t new would, except it would be longer than you would be able to get it for on the X220t for the same price -if that makes sense to you- so it would be just like a brand new device, and because its still a very very recent machine they will be able to repair it for the next 4-5 years in all likelihood)

The biggest advantages of that X201t with the Super Bright Outdoor viewable screen will be cheaper for a lot more machine- the best screen you can get on any traditional Tablet PC* (16:10 vs the stupid 16:9 X220t) a fast/ powerful/machine that will be very reliable; has a good battery system (no dangling out the bottom to get decent battery life like the X220t has), it uses full sized 2.5" SATA drives so your options to upgrade to HDD's maxes out at the 750GB and 1TB drives, and nearly any SSD is usable (though you would be best to stick with Crucial, Intel, or Samsung); did I mention it doesn't have a stupid 16:9 aspect ratio screen? (who gives a flying flip a about Window's 8 want for a 16:9 screen for side by side Metro apps, especially when there will be a work-around dug up in no time even if they change things; get yourself something usable [16:10] and deal with the rest when it comes time); and it has a warranty still and the ability to have the warranty extended

*I've spent over a year now on figuring out about all the Tablet PC's that are out there and the screen Lenovo used for the Super Bright Outdoor viwable screen is almost the top screen in any Tablet PC. Only in the best displays do manufacturers use AR layers, polarizes, special treatments and close bonding techniques all of which reduce the 'effective reflection' to minimal amounts thus eliminating stray light and most all reflections-in my findings it reduces reflectons about 90% as well as a very good glass matte screen (HP 2730p) but does not diminish quality of what is displayed true the matte does... while the screen on the HP's is a good all around screen [nearly the exactly identical screen used as the Fujitsu's 12.1" 'outdoor' option or as the only screen the 13.3"] they get 'fuzzy' or lose clarity when viewed at anything but directly head on and they also have sub-par colors contrast and brightness by comparison, a significant amount of light shift as well, and they have a 'graininess' that is quite noticeable.

Basically because the Super Bright Outdoor Viewable option is a high quality screen it has the advantages of matte and glossy screens but none of the drawbacks (it was a $425 option and often hard to get even new because they were snatched up fast when available; its not a joke of a psudo 'outdoor' screen option like the X220t has that is the same exact screen as the base screen but with a glass and non-touch screen front). As an aside the same screen [with slightly different enhancement layers] is used by Mobile Demand in their C1200 and it is regarded as one of the very best.
    Thank you so much for your in-depth help and patience with me I really truly appreciate it and I really do want to purchase that computer beleive me.
    But my mother says anything I buy has to be brand new and she wont change her mind...She says if it is used how do we know what problems it carries with it ?
    Oh well
    Last edited by Aicent; 02-23-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 9;273484(who gives a flying flip a about Window's 8 want for a 16:9 screen for side by side Metro apps, especially when there will be a work-around dug up in no time even if they change things; get yourself something usable [16:10
    and deal with the rest when it comes time); and it has a warranty still and the ability to have the warranty extended

The T731 has 16:10 so at least I wont be missing out on tooo much

Okay I got the finances together and chose a configuration I'm going with the T731.
    I don't know why the charge for overnight shipping and the charge for standard shipping is the same.
    I think it might be a glitch, i wouldnt want to get overnight and then see some outlandish cost on the credit card.
    Anyway I'll be ordering later today !

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Why did you chose the t731?
    ThinkPad x230 tablet: Multi touch, Intel Centrino 6205, Samsung 840 256gb SSD
    ThinkPad x201 tablet: Outdoor screen, Gobi 2000 (3G, GPS), Intel Centrino 6300, Samsung 128gb SSD

The performance of an Outdoor Display
    TN and PVA panel comparison (HP tx2500 vs Lenovo x201t)

How to calibrate the x201t and x200t.

Well, I'm sure he's able to answer that himself, but I thought he made it relatively clear- his parents say his computer has to be absolutely brand new, and that wasn't going to be possible with a x201t. He also mentioned more than once the desire to be able to have a portable, permanently attached DVD driver. The Fujitsus are the only ones that would allow this, and he found the idea of the ultrabase bulky and unappealing.

He's said more than once that he was leaning towards the t731 from the beginning. Didn't seem like much of a surprise to me.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Well, I'm sure he's able to answer that himself, but I thought he made it relatively clear- his parents say his computer has to be absolutely brand new, and that wasn't going to be possible with a x201t. He also mentioned more than once the desire to be able to have a portable, permanently attached DVD driver. The Fujitsus are the only ones that would allow this, and he found the idea of the ultrabase bulky and unappealing.

He's said more than once that he was leaning towards the t731 from the beginning. Didn't seem like much of a surprise to me.
    Yes those are mostly the reasons to me Thanks for all the advice by the way, it has been immensely helpful

Quote Originally Posted by AndreR View Post
    Why did you chose the t731?
    Could not find a brand new x201 or X200 available , I really would have LOVED to own it though.
    But I think the fujitsu will be good too even though the screen is not so amazing :/ it still seems like a good computer

Thread Information