Best tablet for visually impaired child

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Smile Best tablet for visually impaired child

Hi

Our daughter has a visual impairment that means she can only read fairly large fonts. We'd like to get her a tablet where she can read ebooks but also view and manipulate pdfs created from scanned study materials and school work. Hugely grateful if somebody could point us in the right direction as to what the best tablet option might be. Also very interested to hear of other tablet applications that could benefit her. Thanks.

Default Re: Best tablet for visually impaired child

How old is she? How big or heavy can it be? How much do you want to spend? Do you want to manipulate/ markup PDFs with a pen? Or do you just want to resize them and use touch?? Gonna need more info to help you, sorry.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Steve

She's 7 and I guess we're looking at a 10 inch screen - something fairly portable that she can put in her school bag and just for using touch and resizing. We'd like to spend under 400 if possible (around $650). Many thanks.

New oldie

I would try to find a irex 1000 what is a big reader. Unfortunately the company is gone, but there are still readers on eBay. It comes down to price. There are other readers to, just try Google. Seems that Onyx has also a big screen.
    Last edited by Franky; 01-21-2012 at 04:46 AM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

But if you step away from an E-Ink screen and move to a regular LCD screen can't you pinch and zoom to your hearts content?

Have you looked at the KindleFire and the NookTablet, (or NookColor)? They are common, relatively inexpensive and have great battery life (the display is the biggest drain). Both will handle most of the e-book formats as well as PDF's. They are only 7" but since your daughter will be zooming anyway the smaller size is easier to pack. Plus the smaller glass will be just that much less prone to breakage.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by pmatulew View Post
    But if you step away from an E-Ink screen and move to a regular LCD screen can't you pinch and zoom to your hearts content?

Have you looked at the KindleFire and the NookTablet, (or NookColor)? They are common, relatively inexpensive and have great battery life (the display is the biggest drain). Both will handle most of the e-book formats as well as PDF's. They are only 7" but since your daughter will be zooming anyway the smaller size is easier to pack. Plus the smaller glass will be just that much less prone to breakage.
    Thanks, hadn't considered the KindleFire which, looking at reviews, seems a good option. Only problem is it's not available here in the UK and no release date has yet been set. I'd been wondering about the ipad or is it worth holding out for the KindleFire as a better reading experience? The portability of the latter and the less likelihood of breakage is certainly a big plus.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Spent time with Google over lunch perusing "Electronic Retailers UK".

Was a discouraging session at best. All the brand name 10 inchers I found were priced as much or more than an Ipad for basically equal hardware. Didn't find much for 7 inchers. What I did find were loads of generic Chinese items that most of us on this side of the pond won't have heard of before.

It's really unfortunate since the KindleFire and the NookColor have found that sweet spot below $200 where many folks are willing to take a chance on a "toy" that they may or may not have valid justification for. The $500~$800 market range is a tough sell for everybody else when your product is always being compared to the Ipad.

I guess you'll have to be the best judge of your available market. If you can swing the price, the Ipad is certainly the gold standard and won't disappoint. I don't know how much of a thrashing it will take from a 7 year old so some predefined ground rules would certainly be in order.

If you decide to start with something more generic, don't settle for less than Version 2.3. Especially since 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) should be the current standard. Also check that you're getting a capacitive screen (like the Ipad) rather than a resistive screen (like older PDA's and GPS units). I saw quite a few Archos devices at lunch time and I know that they used to come with resistive screens. Not sure what they have now.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by pmatulew View Post
    Spent time with Google over lunch perusing "Electronic Retailers UK".

Was a discouraging session at best. All the brand name 10 inchers I found were priced as much or more than an Ipad for basically equal hardware. Didn't find much for 7 inchers. What I did find were loads of generic Chinese items that most of us on this side of the pond won't have heard of before.

It's really unfortunate since the KindleFire and the NookColor have found that sweet spot below $200 where many folks are willing to take a chance on a "toy" that they may or may not have valid justification for. The $500~$800 market range is a tough sell for everybody else when your product is always being compared to the Ipad.

I guess you'll have to be the best judge of your available market. If you can swing the price, the Ipad is certainly the gold standard and won't disappoint. I don't know how much of a thrashing it will take from a 7 year old so some predefined ground rules would certainly be in order.

If you decide to start with something more generic, don't settle for less than Version 2.3. Especially since 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) should be the current standard. Also check that you're getting a capacitive screen (like the Ipad) rather than a resistive screen (like older PDA's and GPS units). I saw quite a few Archos devices at lunch time and I know that they used to come with resistive screens. Not sure what they have now.
    Heart felt thanks for your help on this. I'm fast coming round to the idea that the ipad is going to be her best option. Not least because the range of available books and study materials is rather better on the ipad than it is on the kindle: it seems you can get a kindle app for the ipad but you can't view ibooks on the kindle! Also apple do seem to be at the forefront of getting tablets out there as a educational tools so that can only be good. Thanks again.

Thread Information