ultralight tablet for engineering?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default ultralight tablet for engineering?

Hi all,
    (long I know, summary at bottom)

I hate to be that one guy who asks the same question for the millionth time, but I haven't seen anyone ask specifically about the size of the various tablets...

I'm an engineering student whose 1.4Ghz Banias laptop just died (ie. I'm not used to top of the line). While it's too late to worry about getting a new one for this semester, I think I'd really like to get a tablet to last the next year and a half. I also do a lot of part time work as a systems consultant and sysadmin. Most of the time it would be used for taking notes in class, or working in MS Word, or Mathematica.

I have a couple of deciding factors though. I will NOT put up with XGA res. I absolutely hate it. I had 1280x800 on my last laptop and that was barely acceptable. I really love the SXGA+ or 1440x900 that toshiba does.

My last laptop was kind of heavy (~6lbs), and for that reason I wouldn't always carry it when I should have been. I've decided that I REALLY want something small and light for my new one. Other computers I've looked at include the little dell xps machine, or the tiny sony machines (those are both less than 3lb). Obviously I'm not going to find a tablet of this size, but I really do want something small.

The other requirement is that it has to have a great battery life. I'm ok with extra weight due to a secondary battery -- but I have to be able to use it all day without a charge -- at LEAST 4 hours. MINIMUM. 5 would be great.

So near as I can tell, the X60 seems to be the forerunner due to the small screen and large battery life, though the T4215 also seems pretty good. Price isn't a non-issue, but I'm willing to spend to get the right computer. Just not 500 more than the next competitor, lol.

I kind of like having a cdrom, but I have a desktop too, so I should be able to get by.

cliffs:
    + engineering student
    + want small size, lightweight, easy to carry
    + solid construction (not going to break or fall apart from heavy use)
    + HIGHER than XGA resolution
    + more than 4hr battery, pref 5-6 (with secondary battery if necessary)
    + want to run vista

+One last thing -- I tend to have bad luck with computer hardware (even though I can usually build/fix it) so it ABSOLUTELY MUST have a good warrantee and good support (hardware/dealing with the company, don't need tech support, lol). I don't want company that's going to try and screw me.

So guys? what have you got for me? I've currently come up with the X60, the M400 (seems like low battery life) or the T4215 (seems too expensive).

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: ultralight tablet for engineering?

keep in mind that the sxga res on a 12.1" screen is alot differet than say a 15" model. I think you would be surprised to see just how decent the res of a XGA is on such a small screen.

There are two-three threads on engineering students looking for tablets right below you.

Im not sure what to recommend you as I just dont want super resolution on such a small display. But I can say stay away from Toshiba. I have heard nothing but horror stories from their customer support.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Yes.. absolutely nothing wrong with XGA on a lot of the 12" tablets but that's only personal choice of the many here who use them.

Well, I can only recommend Toshiba, I've had no trouble with it at all, and I love the high resolution (yes, even on the 12.1" screen).
    However, for small and light, I think the old Lenovo X41 still holds the medal, though you probably won't be running Vista on it.
    Personally I haven't found the weight of the Toshiba M400 to be a problem at all, but then again I haven't been in a situation where I needed to use it standing.

(And no, I am not associated with Toshiba in any way I just like my M400)

really, two of my biggest concerns are battery life and size -- I haven't heard particularly good things about the M400's battery life (from reviews), and nobody seems to be talking about it here.

Has anyone used it? What should I expect? about 3.5hrs? does anyone have the "slice" battery? it sounds kind of crappy....

The M400 easily gives me 4 hours of notetaking time in the normal mode, longer in the super duper power saver mode (which I usually can't be bothered with).

The slice rather defeats the purpose of using a table however.....

Thanks darkwolf -- Does anyone else have any information about battery life? Or any other recommendations at all? Is the lenovo or the fujitsu worth the very large price premium?

Of the 12" tablets -- which do you recommend in general? I'm finding it somewhat difficult to find a reliable way to compare battery information...

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Re battery life, both ASUS with the R1F and Fujitsu, with many laptops & tablets including the T4210 & T4215 use a 'modular bay battery'.
    In that you simply remove the DVD Optical drive and replace it with a second battery.
    As examples with this combination I achieve the following:-
    Fujitsu Siemens P7010 8 to 10hrs max
    Fujitsu Siemens T4210 6 to 6hrs max

Bear in mind to achieve anything close to these times is dependant upon how you use the machine.
    Further, I find Fujitsu's & FS laptops/tablets will operate quite well at the lowest brilliance setting during dull lighting conditions, which add to battery life.

OK, so here's what I've got so far.

The top 3 12.1"-ish tablets seem to be:
    Lenovo x60, Fujitsu T4215, or Toshiba M400.

Configured similarly, the lenovo and fujitsu are running about $2200-$2300, and the Toshiba about $2050.

Realistically, if I'm going to be spending this much on a computer, 2-3 hundred bucks doesn't bother me -- I'd rather get it right.

Now, here's the pros and cons:
    toshiba: SXGA+, cdrom bay, XXXXXXXXXXX, touchpad, 4.5hrs,
    fujitsu: SXGA+, cdrom bay, modular battery, touchpad, 6.0hrs,
    lenovo: SXGA+, XXXXXXX, XXXXXXXXXXX, XXXXXXX, 7.5hrs,

So then it seems that fujitsu is pretty clearly the winner. However, there's some more information that I'd like to find:

how long does each notebook REALLY go on primary battery alone?

Also, has anyone delt with any of the companies very much? I tend to have a lot of hardware problems, and I want a company who is willing to stand by their product. Also, are all the notebooks solid? Nothing is likely to break on any of them?

All else equal, right now it looks like i'm leaning towards the fujitsu. While I *might* need the modular power bay in a year or two -- it's basically the same price just to replace the primary battery, so I don't think that matters very much.

Any input? any answers to my questions?

Thanks a lot guys, you've all been great -- i'll be sure to stick around after my purchase.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

how long does each notebook REALLY go on primary battery alone?
    The T4215 should give you 3 to 3.5hrs max.
    I achieve this on my T4210 when I use the DVD Optical drive bay.

However, once you have a modular bay battery, you will find you will use this configuration 90% of the time.

Also, has anyone delt with any of the companies very much? I tend to have a lot of hardware problems, and I want a company who is willing to stand by their product. Also, are all the notebooks solid? Nothing is likely to break on any of them?
    Fujitsu are renowned for the excellent customer and tech supp service.
    It's been mentioned by many (inc myself) many times in the forum.
    Whereas on the other hand Toshiba's support are seen at the other end of the scale.

All else equal, right now it looks like i'm leaning towards the fujitsu. While I *might* need the modular power bay in a year or two -- it's basically the same price just to replace the primary battery, so I don't think that matters very much.
    Oh yes it does matter and matters quite a lot in a positive way.
    Once you take out that DVD Optical drive (which most hardly use for the majority of the time) and replace it with a second battery, your mobility really opens up.
    Now, compare this to having a second main battery and it's simply not the same.
    With a second main battery you will either have to plug the tablet into the mains to keep power going whilst you change the main battery or switch off the tablet again whilst you change the main battery.

So... no, having a second main battery is no where near the same as having a modular bay battery

Thread Information