What should I get!? (Tablet Novice)

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default What should I get!? (Tablet Novice)

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

under $1000

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

If its in like-new condition...of course.

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?

I don't know what this means, I don't think I want a convertible unless its just an extra feature.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

Compact ~ 10"
    Mainstream ~ 12.1"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?

USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Not really, I am not considering iPads because they have horrible support for what I am looking to do.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

The higher the better, an average school day would be perfect, I can charge while studying.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Note taking/Drawing mainly! It should be superb at both of these things, I am OK with an average browsing experience but I cannot compromise on the notetaking capabilities and drawing aspects. (Mostly drawing for notes too!)

9. Do you have an OS preference?

Android I guess? I don't know much about tablet OS.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

I don't really know, note taking primarily so maybe Microsoft Office/ Open Office?

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

No games.

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?

XGA - 1024x768 ~ large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen. (no longer available new, must look for used or refurbished machines)
    WXGA - 1280x768 ~ has a wider usable area than XGA, ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space. The mainly used resolution for new tablet PCs since 2008.

Whatever the best is for mimicking pencil and paper note taking, I am guessing SXGA/WXGA

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

It would be a very very big PLUS to have a matte screen that is bright and readable.

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?

Matte!

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)

I don't know which technology would be better for my idea.

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)

Wacom makes the art tablets right? So Wacom pen would be OK.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?

Anything with 32 GB Flash or >

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?

? No.

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?

No.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

This will be used as a pen and paper replacement for note taking since it is primarily math and physics classes taking notes with a computer is harder. So keep that in the forefront!

Thanks to anyone who decides to help!

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: What should I get!? (Tablet Novice)

No tablet to suit my needs?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

It's hard when you don't know what you don't know. A little research on your own would go a long way. Posts from the last six months are filled with the exact same questions. The booming "tablet" market (and I use that term very loosely), has brought a large number of curious new people into the neighborhood. We just have to take turns being the Walmart greeter.

You've indicated that you want a stylus and preferably Wacom. That narrows the field by about 95%.

Try these for a start.

Tablet for University and Business

Tablet That Has Stylus/pen Functionality Does It Exist?

First steps into buying (considering) a tablet notebook

Pen Pal - Newbie

I understand if that is the case. Its hard to learn about these tablets without experiencing them hands on, which is what I've been trying to do the past couple of days.

I am slightly surprised there is no universally agreed on "best note taking tablet."

Seeing as they are all pretty much crap, one would only have to be GOOD to take the cake.

I am using the HTC Flyer at the moment, but I am kind of disturbed by the gingerbread phone OS. It seems OK for note taking, only problem is that the screen is too small, way too small.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by emc2 View Post
    Its hard to learn about these tablets without experiencing them hands on, which is what I've been trying to do the past couple of days.
    Yeah, that is true, but as there are usually very few places where you can get your hands on a wide variety, you'll have to learn the technical lingo and pros&cons etc. so as to make sense of all the data sheets you'll be browsing...

Check out this thread, it will answer a lot of the "I don't know"s in your questionnaire.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/what...ablet-pcs.html

For a slate that runs full-blown Windows (so you can run everything from Photoshop to Microsoft Office and - for superb notetaking - Microsoft OneNote, take a look at the Asus EP121. Doesn't have a matte screen though, as far as I know (somebody correct me if I am wrong), but you could probably get a screen protector to take away some of the glare. Convertibles are full laptops where you can turn around the screen and lock it in place to have a "slate-like" device when you need it, quite a few of those are available with matte or outdoor screens (anti-reflective, ultra-bright).

Pen Pro - Senior Member

The HP 2730p with slice battery can be had for $600 or less (used, of course). It's a convertible, but one of the more compact, lighter ones.

Alternatively, if you want a really large (13.3") screen, look into the Fujitsu T5010.

You could continue along the Android route and get the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet (10" screen, N-trig like the HTC Flyer), but then you won't be able to use OneNote, and OneNote is just that good. (I do hope that Android gets something compatible with N-trig pen support, though...said ThinkPad Tablet might make a nice auxiliary to my 2730p.)

Thread Information