Android tablet with pressure sensative screen? (What tablet should I buy?)

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Android tablet with pressure sensative screen? (What tablet should I buy?)

Hi,
    I'm studying Design & Product development at collage and have started to look for a portable tablet with decent battery life, front camera (web cam) and if possible GPS feature. Since I study design I'd think doing some sketching could be interesting as well.

Regards
    /Oskar

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    less than $800

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    yes

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    slate or convertable

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Compact ~ 10"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    sweden or panama (probably online)

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    no

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    this is hard to estimate, but i guess around 5 hours

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    Primary: watching movies, video calls on skype, email and web surfing
    Secondary: sketching (2D), notetaking and GPS navigation for car trips

9. Do you have an OS preference?
    (android)
    I have heard that windows works bad on smaller tablets and I would like a decent range of applications/programs

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Skype, Spotify and some sketching program similar to inkscape or illustrator with compatibility with pressure sensitivity would be cool (don't know much about apps. Found some that sounds interesting, but haven't seen any in action)

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    no, but might happen if I'm bored ^^

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?
    no deal-breaker

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?
    no requirement, but would be nice

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?
    have no experience, so dunno

4. Do you require Touch?
    yes, multi-touch, any type

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity)
    yes, included or available as accessory if I feel the need for buying it later. type doesn't matter

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    HD >= 16GB, Memory ~1GB

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?
    no

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    no

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    Camera for video calls, quality is not a deal-breaker
    at least one USB port for an external hard drive

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    no, see intro...
    Last edited by oskarm89; 05-11-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: Android tablet with pressure sensative screen? (What tablet should I buy?)

so far I am considering:
    The ASUS Eee Slate (found one for $690)
    The ASUS Eee MeMo
    The new Thinkpad Slate from Lenovo, to be released July/august
    The Ipad2 could be something to consider if it works with my external hard drive (know the Ipad(1) doesn't)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Android tablet with pressure sensative screen? (What tablet should I buy?)

umm...Android and Pressure.....you really want that?

Only one android tablet has a pressure sensitive pen, and that is the HTC Flyer which is compatible with the N-trig digital pencil....that you have to buy separately for $80 bucks.

That still unreleased Eee MeMo is supposed to have pressure, but it uses a spongy capacitive pen, so it won't be nearly as good as proper pen usage like a Wacom or N-trig pen. It won't hover or be as precise. Its probably achieved in the same manner 10-one design (maker of pogo stylus) was able to trick an Ipad into registering pressure (Pity apple won't let them release it).

There is also a Japanese Android Tablet that uses a 8.4 inch wacom screen, but I've had no luck tracking that down for purchase.

But pretty much every other Android tablet and Ipad do not have active pen support.

But I wouldn't recommend Android for sketching. The amount of Art apps don't even compare to the wealth of apps the Ipad has. There is a version of Sketchbook Mobile for droid...but I have it on my Droid2 and it runs horrendously bad compared to the Ipad/Iphone version. Even though the Ipad doesn't have a proper pen, the art apps on the Ipad are much better then anything currently on android.

If your willing to pay in the $800 range, I'd suggest getting either the HP Slate 500 or Fujitsu Q550. That both have Windows 7 and N-trig.

While I personally find N-trigs pen tech to be garbage compared to Wacom in art tasks, I would definitely go with Windows 7 before Android.

A real gem though is the Ls800. Its 8.4 wacom tablet pc that can run Windows 7. Its old, runs really warm, and is pen only (no touch)..but you can get it cheap off Ebay for like $200-300, and the Wacom experience alone makes it worthwhile. I have both the Hp Slate 500 and the Ls800....I really can't describe just how refreshing wacom is over N-trig when using both tablets. The experience is almost like night and day.
    Lenovo X-61 Tablet - 1.6 ghz, 4 gb ram
    Gateway C-120X - 1.06 ghz, 2 gb ram (dead)
    Hp TC1100 - 1.1 ghz, 1.5 gb ram
    Ls800 - 1.2 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Eee PC T-91, 1.3 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Ipad 16gb Wi-FI (it does count as a tablet)
    HP Slate 500 - 1.86 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Asus Ep121 - 1.33 ghz, 4gb ram
    Samsung Series 7 Slate - 1.6 ghz, 4 gb of ram

Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for a quick reply. As I said, I didn't know too much about the different apps/programs available. I'm grateful for your info about that...

Still portability is an important factor, meaning I'd like no keyboard or removable keyboard and a weight below 1kg/2.2pounds (excluding keyboard).

By searching some I've found out that the file transfer problem with the Ipad seem to be solved by jail breaking it. So maybe I could go with that and hope the 10-one design, which I've seen and seem to work fine, will be released.

Does anyone know about the pen quality for the Lenovo thinkpad slate? And how distinct is the difference in quality and feeling?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

The HP Slate 500, Q550, and Ls800 are all slate tablets, thus they all have no keyboard.

The HP Slate is the smallest and lightest weighting only 1.5 pounds, while the Ls800 weights 2.2 pounds, and the Q550 should weight somewhere from 2.5 to 3 pounds.

That Lenovo Slate is still a mystery. I think they have both an android and Windows version planned, but I doubt the android one will have pen support. The Windows one was shown to have a battery pen...but its not N-trig or Wacom...its a unknown third party. It could end up as unreleased vapor ware, but regardless I wouldn't rely on that device anytime soon.
    Lenovo X-61 Tablet - 1.6 ghz, 4 gb ram
    Gateway C-120X - 1.06 ghz, 2 gb ram (dead)
    Hp TC1100 - 1.1 ghz, 1.5 gb ram
    Ls800 - 1.2 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Eee PC T-91, 1.3 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Ipad 16gb Wi-FI (it does count as a tablet)
    HP Slate 500 - 1.86 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Asus Ep121 - 1.33 ghz, 4gb ram
    Samsung Series 7 Slate - 1.6 ghz, 4 gb of ram

Thread Information