Looking for a tablet with a good screen.

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Looking for my first tablet.

1) What is your budget?
    About $900

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Under 13in

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    United States of America

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Doesn't matter as long as the screen is acceptable

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    general usage, with possible use for university. I also do some moderate photo editing with Photoshop, and Silkypix, and so far my Vaio TT is doing a solid job for my needs.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    5 hours minimum

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. If you are unsure of what to purchase, we would highly recommend you check some notebook screens before you buy to see what you like. You may also wish to take a look at the notebook screen guide for more information.
    Don't care as long as it similar to what my Vaio TT has.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    Matte or anti-coated glossy.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Well I do kind of want it to look nice, and like how with my Vaio TT I can just open it up as it has not latch(both my iBook and MBP messed up latches after years of heavy use).

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    I could wait 6-7 months for something that really fits my needs.
    16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    about 3.5 years
    Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
    160gb of space or more prefer non ssd to keep price down, but 7200 rpm would be a nice bonus.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
    At this point I think I can deal with an external drive. But internal dvd burner would be a nice bonus.

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)
    I know I want the ability to use a pen for note taking, but I am fully sure if I want a capacitive screen for multi-touch or not. I have a capacitive screen phone, and had resistive in the past and for the most part capacitive is better, except when it comes to accuracy. I am not sure if that is still applicable to tablet pc or not, but accuracy would be a nice to have, no?

So, my Vaio TT has an 8-bit anti-coated glossy-ish screen. I have not qualms about the size, but the cpu performance is getting a bit stale these days for my use as I am doing more raw and photoshop work and thought why not got tablet this time. I asked this on the sister site, and I guess this a better place to ask. Is there an i core based tablet out there right now that fits my screen and battery needs for photoshop work and note taking work when I plan to go back to university?

I have always like the idea of tablets, but the price of the better business models like the X201t and 2740p are more than I would prefer to spend, and consumer models like the HP TM2t, while nice specs, offer screen quality that could be better(imho). There doesn't seem to be any Fusion(Zacate) or Llano tablets out yet, but the Lenovo X120 in a tablet form seems near perfect for my needs(well minus the slightly slower cpu vs culv C2D).

Thank you.
    Last edited by bloodycape; 01-31-2011 at 11:26 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Looking for a tablet with a good screen.

Anyone please?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Take a look at the various parts of the site to see what people say about the different models; but I personally would say take a good long look at the HP 2740p, Lenovo x201t, and the Fujitsu T730p or T900 (as well as the slightly older counterparts HP 2730p, Lenovo x200t, Fujitsu T4410 or T5010 respectively)

The slightly older models are exactly the same as the newer ones, except they have a few different internal components (and there is hardly a difference in the processing/ graphics power of the machines), the real difference is the slightly older models are far more efficient on power usage

Basically- go for a used Business class Tablet PC; anything less and I think you will be disappointed (I got a Tm2 originally because I couldn't afford anything else at the time. I grew tired of the all around poor consumer grade features, then I sold my Tm2 and bought a [barely used] HP 2730p for a good price... a FAR better machine)

Buying used is usually better than buying new (for reasons I assume you can guess. and reasons I don't feel like explaining) plus the machine will probably have a warranty still (which can be upgraded to On-Site, or Accidental coverage), not to mention the obvious price drop (use ebay, and pay with PayPal so you are covered under the buyer protection if the deal goes south -which is actually a rare occurrence)
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I personally think there would be a difference for me in terms of cpu if I went from the SU9300 to let say a LV i3 or ULV i5(i7 if lucky) cpu. But, yes that was my original intention to get something either refurb, or outlet model(last three laptops were all open box new).

I have looked around, but haven't gotten proper answers. I just want a pen based tablet with screen good enough for photo editing, and the like, while still having 5+ battery life and either hdmi or display port. Should sound simple, and I wish I could go check these out in store(with their best screen option), but I don't think there is a B&M store that carries these particular model on showroom floor. I want to say maybe Fry's does, but last time I was there all they had were the consumer models. :/.

With all that said, I think I may just wait it out a long bit and see what Intel Ivy Bridge and AMD Wichita/Krishna bring as the thought of a ulv quad core tablet sounds a bit more appealing to me. Plus, SSD prices should be a bit more affordable by then so maybe something good could be had by then. That is unless, someone brings out a 2.0ghz Zacate tablet with an acceptable screen(Lenovo I'm looking at you).

Thank you though.
    Last edited by bloodycape; 02-02-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

If you look for a 2740p on ebay and you can find plenty around your budget.
    Fujitsu T2010 - XP

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Are those with the outdoor screen? Again I think I may wait, since usb 3.0 is gaining popularity and this market is starting to pick up. Plus, as I said a ulv quad core tablet sounds pretty sweet to me.

All about the T5010/T900

Currently for quad-cores Intel only has full-voltage i7-QM CPUs. As far as I know there aren't any plans for any U or L QMs as from an architecture standpoint it's kind of counter productive.

Probably your best bets for low-voltage CPUs with high output are the i7-660LM, i7-680UM, and the soon to be released i7-2657M. However it'll be pretty unlikely to find a Tablet PC with one of those CPUs for under $1000 as those CPUs alone cost over $300 each... (Especially if such a CPU is paired with a Wacom digitizer and top-quality screen.)

I agree with Agent 9 that if you're looking for a good quality screen your current choices are basically the Lenovo X200t/X201t, HP 2730p/2740p, Fujitsu T4410/T730 all of which must be specified with the upgraded version of the screen.
    Also there is the Fujitsu T5010/T900 and new Asus EP121 which come standard with a top quality screen.
    However, all of these will be difficult to find under $900 (the ones you'll be most likely to find will be the HP 2730p or Fujitsu T4410 or T5010).

Fujitsu T5010
    - C2D 2.4GHz / 4GB DDR3 / 160GB X25-M G2 SSD / Windows 7 Pro 32-bit
    Used for Photoshop illustration - see the results at LunaKenei at deviantART

Pen Pro - Senior Member

You can wait for the new tablets to come out, but it will be out of your budget for a while. Some of the current tablets out there can be had for a bargain.

Here is a Fujitsu T730 tablet with the good screen: Fujitsu Lifebook T730 tablet 12" i5-450M 160GB, 4GB RAM - eBay (item 130481190615 end time Feb-06-11 17:10:33 PST)

You can make sure you have the tablet you want by looking at the configuration p/n. Google it and it will show the complete specs, and this particular one has a wide angle screen (probably boe hydis).
    Fujitsu T2010 - XP

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Well intel Ivy Bridge and AMD Wichita/Krishna which are suppose to be out end of the year or 2012 are suppose to have quad core options and are suppose to have ulv and lv quad core models. I am just going to wait until summer so I can try to save more cash and SB should be out by then(and hopefully in the outlet stores by then also) and see what my options are. And maybe by then we might see Fusion tablets running at 2.0ghz+.

Are there any tablets using the current(or new gen) full voltage AMD cpu?

Thread Information