11-05-2007, 04:29 PM #1
- Join Date
- Nov 2007
- Rep Power
TabletPC Search... need expert opinion
I am searching for a tablet PC for personal use and I need your opinions for my purchase. I have gone through 10+ reviews from this forum and actually purchased a HP TX1000 with the following specs:
HP Pavilion tx1000z CTO
Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit)
AMD Turion(TM) (2.3 GHz, 512KB+512KB L2 Cache )
12.1" WXGA with Integrated Touch-screen
4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 6150
HP Imprint Finish + Webcam + Microphone
Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n and Bluetooth
120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
4 Cell and 6 Cell Lithium Ion Batteries
However, I was very disappointed with the battery life and the annoying glare from the screen. I will probably return the laptop tomorrow and reconsider my options. Please take a look at my preferences and give me your opinions! Thanks for your time and input; I greatly appreciate it!
1. What is your budget?
2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
Mainstream ~ 12.1"
4. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
Prefer more recognized brand for emotional security, otherwise, not really.
6. How many hours battery life do you require?
I would like to have 5+ hours on extended battery (flight from NYC to SFO) for various traveling needs.
7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?
Notes taking (MBA classes, client meetings), Watching DVDs, PowerPoint presentations, Excel modeling, and occasionally gaming (AOE3)
Bonus: I would like to write Chinese (traditional) through MS Word, still not sure how this would work.
8. Do you have an OS preference?
I test-drove the HP TX1000z, it seemed a bit slow with the AMD chip. But that can becaused I used Vista Ultimate.
9. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
MS Office, DVD, Video games
10. Do you intend playing Games? If so please list.
AOE3, Old arcade games… (I am 27, love playing Mario Brother 3 for a random walk down the memory lane)
1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen?
2. What resolution do you prefer?
WXGA - 1280x768 or 1280x800 Wider viewing angle of XGA but ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space.
3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
Since I plan to use it for road trips, I would love to have Indoor/Outdoor options. I used HP TX1000Z and hope the screen will not have such strong glare.
4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
If I plan to write Chinese words, I would think I would need an active digitizer. I have been reading about the N-Trig technology. I would love to have both “touchscreen” and active digitizer.
5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology?
Yes, I think so.
1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
2~4 GB DD2
2. Do you require an Optical Drive?
Tough one, preference is yes.
3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
I need a second battery.
May be my list of preferences are too aggressive for current product offerings. I pretty much read through all the reviews and search through 3 to 5 different magazines for ratings. I used to own a DELL 710M, Dell Latitude D610, HP DV 1600us. I would love to have a capable machine, similar to the Dell 710M. I am also waiting for the Dell Latitude XT. Please tell me what you think!
11-05-2007, 04:36 PM #2
- Join Date
- May 2007
- Berlin, Germany
- Rep Power
Re: TabletPC Search... need expert opinion
I would go with a ULV very portable in your case. The HP 2710p or Fujitsu T2010 currently are the best in this class. The HP is a bit sturdier and hast the slightly better keyboard/trackstick, the Fujitsu has the brighter display and faster HDD.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By nilsk in forum What Tablet PC Should I Buy?Replies: 15Last Post: 08-07-2007, 03:52 AM