Already have a laptop, need a cheap tablet

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Already have a laptop, need a cheap tablet

Ergh, I'm so sick of researching. I have a laptop so I ONLY need a tablet PC for the pen-on-screen feature. Actually, if anyone knows of hardware that simply plugs into a computer and feeds the image on the computer screen into a pen sensitive display that I can write/draw on, that would be the BEST. I cannot find something like that though which is why I'm here. Help please?

1. What is your budget?
    $900 or under. Right around $600 or less would be supreme.

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    Slate preferred but ANYTHING that's cheap will do.

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Mainstream preferred, but once again, whatever's cheapest. Though I'd rather it to be over 5" if possible

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    USA

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    None at all. Anything that's quasi durable would be preferred.

6. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Doesn't really matter. I'd probably take something without a battery at this point, as long as there was AC or USB power. Preferred something like 3 or more hours.

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?
    Purely art. I want something cheap to try and have before college so I can get used to using it. I'm pursuing a career in illustration someday and I'd like to be a digitally oriented illustrator.

8. Do you have an OS preference?
    I'm used to Windows (XP), but I'm open to trying other operating systems as long as they'll run a good art program.

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Art programs. Photoshop, illustrator, etc.

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list.
    None at all.

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen?
    Either.

2. What resolution do you prefer?
    SXGA I think, but as you can see I'm NOT picky.

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    Which ever is cheaper. I imagine I'd be working indoors mostly but sitting under a tree on a bright sunny day would be a lovely time to draw. .
    Dunno how that'd work out with no battery. Haha.

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    Active please.

5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology?
    Wacom

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    I'm fairly certain that I'd want 512MB RAM in order to run an art program smoothly, but I'm not a computer expert so I might be able to go with less? Storage isn't an issue as I have plenty of external storage at my disposal. Maybe a few gigs just in case? Haha.

2. Do you require an Optical Drive?
    I'm not sure what this is? I doubt it though. .

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    Um, I don't know what this is either. If it means a USB port to connect an external hard drive, then yes? That's how I'd transport art from computer to tablet. I know, I'm not very computer savvy. .

If you can't tell, I'm not really very picky. The only issue might be my price range. I can only really afford around 600 being a highschool student, but I could stretch it if I ABSOLUTELY must. Mrgh, if only I just had the cash for a Cintiq. .

Thanks for your trouble!

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Already have a laptop, need a cheap tablet

At that price, a decent tablet would probably be a secondhand tablet - have you tried searching ebay? Fujitsu's computer store on ebay might yield some cheap offers as well. But IMO, for art purposes at that price, a wacom tablet is still the best choice - that's not a tablet PC, but an art tablet, the only thing you lose is the pen-on-screen feature, but you get pressure sensitivity and all for a good price.

T4220 Owner

There's this thing called EzScreen, that does the exact function that you're looking for, although a normal laptop's Lcd would probably be rather weak to the pen.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Touchscreen kits are aplenty, but not what xaffinity is looking for - those add touchscreen function, but they don't have pressure sensitivity and are not good enough for art purposes. Though it would be nice if they had art digitiser screen kits....

Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh, I got really excited about that EzScreen thing but if it doesn't have pressure sensitivity then I don't think I'd want it (it doesn't have it. .right?). I've been to ebay a lot and haven't found anything that really clicked. .never been to the Fujitsu store specifically, but there was ONE tablet from Fujitsu I was sort of looking at. .It was the Fujitsu Stylistic st4110 for around $300 (on Ebay) but I wasn't sure how the display was, whether it was pressure sensitive or rather 256 ram would be okay to run a large file in an art program. I'm thinking maybe- since it's the ONLY thing that'd be run on the tablet?

Any opinion on that particular model?

Edit- I just read in a review that the "electromagnetic digitiser is a Wacom unit". . so now I know!
    Last edited by xaffinity; 10-13-2007 at 09:00 AM.

tablet pc virgin

Quote Originally Posted by xaffinity View Post
    Ergh, I'm so sick of researching. I have a laptop so I ONLY need a tablet PC for the pen-on-screen feature. Actually, if anyone knows of hardware that simply plugs into a computer and feeds the image on the computer screen into a pen sensitive display that I can write/draw on, that would be the BEST. I cannot find something like that though which is why I'm here. Help please?

1. What is your budget?
    $900 or under. Right around $600 or less would be supreme.

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    Slate preferred but ANYTHING that's cheap will do.

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Mainstream preferred, but once again, whatever's cheapest. Though I'd rather it to be over 5" if possible

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    USA

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    None at all. Anything that's quasi durable would be preferred.

6. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Doesn't really matter. I'd probably take something without a battery at this point, as long as there was AC or USB power. Preferred something like 3 or more hours.

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?
    Purely art. I want something cheap to try and have before college so I can get used to using it. I'm pursuing a career in illustration someday and I'd like to be a digitally oriented illustrator.

8. Do you have an OS preference?
    I'm used to Windows (XP), but I'm open to trying other operating systems as long as they'll run a good art program.

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Art programs. Photoshop, illustrator, etc.

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list.
    None at all.

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen?
    Either.

2. What resolution do you prefer?
    SXGA I think, but as you can see I'm NOT picky.

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    Which ever is cheaper. I imagine I'd be working indoors mostly but sitting under a tree on a bright sunny day would be a lovely time to draw. .
    Dunno how that'd work out with no battery. Haha.

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    Active please.

5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology?
    Wacom

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    I'm fairly certain that I'd want 512MB RAM in order to run an art program smoothly, but I'm not a computer expert so I might be able to go with less? Storage isn't an issue as I have plenty of external storage at my disposal. Maybe a few gigs just in case? Haha.

2. Do you require an Optical Drive?
    I'm not sure what this is? I doubt it though. .

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    Um, I don't know what this is either. If it means a USB port to connect an external hard drive, then yes? That's how I'd transport art from computer to tablet. I know, I'm not very computer savvy. .

If you can't tell, I'm not really very picky. The only issue might be my price range. I can only really afford around 600 being a highschool student, but I could stretch it if I ABSOLUTELY must. Mrgh, if only I just had the cash for a Cintiq. .

Thanks for your trouble!

if your looking for a cheap tablet that is good for art and is cheap, ive heard great things about the HP tc1100
    and on ebay you can get one with the docking stand and all of that
    i almost got one of these, but decided it would be a better idea to spend an extra thousand and get a t4220 which i should be ordering soon,
    good luck
    tim

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by xaffinity View Post
    Oh, I got really excited about that EzScreen thing but if it doesn't have pressure sensitivity then I don't think I'd want it (it doesn't have it. .right?). I've been to ebay a lot and haven't found anything that really clicked. .never been to the Fujitsu store specifically, but there was ONE tablet from Fujitsu I was sort of looking at. .It was the Fujitsu Stylistic st4110 for around $300 (on Ebay) but I wasn't sure how the display was, whether it was pressure sensitive or rather 256 ram would be okay to run a large file in an art program. I'm thinking maybe- since it's the ONLY thing that'd be run on the tablet?

Any opinion on that particular model?

Edit- I just read in a review that the "electromagnetic digitiser is a Wacom unit". . so now I know!
    The Stylistic sounds good, it is a great slate, though without looking at the auction it's hard to tell what condition it is in... if it's not too badly used it is a good deal. You'll probably want to do a RAM upgrade yourself though, just get it third-party and install it yourself, it's cheaper that way.
    Last edited by kureshii; 10-13-2007 at 09:36 PM.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by kureshii View Post
    The Stylistic sounds good, it is a great slate, though without looking at the auction it's hard to tell what condition it is in... if it's not too badly used it is a good deal. You'll probably want to do a RAM upgrade yourself though, jsut get it third-party and install it yourself, it's cheaper that way.
    I just realized that I can't get the item I found on Ebay (paypal issues- no credit card. .) which is too bad. I doubt I'd be able to dismantle and fiddle with a laptop's hardware anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dicer yuri View Post
    if your looking for a cheap tablet that is good for art and is cheap, ive heard great things about the HP tc1100
    and on ebay you can get one with the docking stand and all of that
    i almost got one of these, but decided it would be a better idea to spend an extra thousand and get a t4220 which i should be ordering soon,
    good luck
    tim
    The HP Tc1100 is starting to look like a dream. I was looking at a Toshiba m200 for about $500, but the lack of optical drive (I know what that is now!) would be useless if I ever wanted to install something. Plus I kept hearing about weak hinges and bulkiness and a small screen. .Even so, that TC1100 might literally be a dream if I can't find a well priced one on Ebay. .

There is an HP Compaq TC1100 for $600. .Sound good?

Thanks
    Last edited by xaffinity; 10-13-2007 at 01:30 PM.

Thread Information