Zoom Setup?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Bronsky, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

So, I'm doing so many remote appearanes with the Courts these days that I decided to up my game a bit and rearrange my set-up for video conferences. Here's my set-up. When my aunt bequeathed me her roll top desk, I did not anticipate how useful all the compartments and drawers would be. Previously, I had a simple open desktop but I have a good angle now for the Go2.
    [​IMG]

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

So... is that you...?

Mesosphere, Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.
  3. Bronsky

That's me. I was going to superimpose a picture of Maynard G. Krebs but that would have been too much work.

4. Steve S

Very distinguished! You must win all your cases...!

Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.
  5. Bronsky

Yes. I win them all.:newpalm::newpalm::newpalm:

Marty likes this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So you're avatar pic, is that you when you were younger? or is it just an unrelated Avatar.

7. Steve S

8. Bronsky

:vbsmile:

Maynard G. Krebs was a hero of mine.:newpalm: A role model of sorts.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    darkmagistric likes this.
  9. Bronsky

I have read where some are using their telephone cameras for teleconferencing. Is there an easy way to dedicate the camera to your main computer?

10. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh goodness, this is a fantastic use for that desk! I have been using the GO2 as my primary web conferencing device just because of the great webcam and microphone. I've had numerous comments about how great both are for a tablet/laptop but also many comments about how the camera position is not ideal given how the kickstand sits on a regular desk. Super high quality image...of my nose hairs. I need something like yours!

Thanks for helping us whippersnappers out. Today I learned! :)

I use an app called DroidCam on my Galaxy Note 10+ and it works well to bring the smartphone camera in as a webcam source on Windows. It can work wirelessly, but I use a USB cable to connect the two for reliability.

A couple things to mention:
    First, it doesn't work natively with apps from the windows store like Skype, but if you use the desktop versions of those apps instead, it works just fine. There are other workarounds available if you only use windows store apps, but they are not elegant.

Second, there is a free version, but the paid option advertises better video quality and no advertisements. To my eye, the quality of the video when using the paid, high quality video option is better than almost any non-Surface, 720p laptop webcam, but the GO2 camera still looks better to me. It is convenient to position the phone anywhere and avoid the nose cam.

I can survive with the smartphone option when my GO has a dead battery, but the GO is definitely still my preferred choice... Especially since my laptop has a very poor built-in microphone.

Bronsky likes this.