Zoom + Select - A Better UI

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by aaronb1138, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaronb1138

aaronb1138 Pen Pal - Newbie

So I was thinking about issues which arise from using touch on the Slate. The most frequent issue I run into is clicking the wrong menu element, button or option.

Then I thought about how other users and other OSes have handled this issue. Many people set their screen DPI in Windows 7 to 125%. This works really well until you run into the extreme volume of software which either a) uses their own font and button sizes or b) graphically breaks with higher font DPI. Then I looked at iOS and Android. Both simply use larger elements. It's like using a TV or gaming console UI (think XBMC). This is great for touch, but wastes the screen real estate for information display.

What I have begun looking for is something which when I press on the screen, actually magnifies the area under my finger to larger size.

Windows or N-trig's drivers do this to some degree, with the size of the ring which pops around when long pressing creates a right click action (it is smaller with the stylus). This helps, but does not increase the precision of the action, because I don't have an opportunity to see what is actually under the precise interpreted position of my finger.

What would seem to be optimal would be a magnified view, displayed just above or to the left or right, of where the finger is pressing with a pointer indicator superimposed. The user could then choose either to release their finger on the element, or slide over to the magnified view and choose an element. Optionally, it could capture all long presses and allow the user to slide over to the magnified area, slide in another direction to indicate a right click, or release to single click where their finger already resides. Handling right clicks in the magnified view area might require some other gesture or a second finger. A second finger should also inherently function within the magnified area.

I would guess N-trig would be the people to approach to see if this is something which could be rolled into N-Act, but I wanted to check if anyone here has run into anything remotely close. I don't think the Windows Magnifier gives anywhere near this kind of functionality, nor do I want a magnified portion always showing on screen.

Also, I would like to get some feedback about my proposed ideas.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Here are some fixes that help touch capability if you haven't done them yet. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/221069-post19.html In addition, I find myself using pinch-to-zoom quite a bit, before selecting pages, etc., and find that it works quite well. I am fairly satisfied with the touch function of my slate and W7. My issues are related to the pen function and the lack of CPU and GPU power. Some of those will only be addressed with next generation hardware.

3. aaronb1138

The caption bar / title bar / scroll settings have been helping. I have been using them for a couple weeks.

I might give higher DPI settings another run. Too bad you can't toggle it up and down based on usage setting without logging off. Plenty of times I connect a wireless mouse / keyboard where the large font size isn't needed.

I did find a program which almost does what I was talking about, but it's a bit klunky.

Now, if there was a nice way to resize the OneNote Quick Access Toolbar...

Pointing Magnifier does the kind of magnification and selection within the zoom area. Does not seem to be able to handle Windows Explorer menus too well and has a tendency to initiate a click-drag action instead of just select.

Also, I did find that Windows 7 allows one to scroll context and drop-down Windows yesterday by dragging your finger up and down the menu and releasing to select, so I will make better use of that feature. Never knew I could do that.

It is fun getting immersed in the tablet community, but I definitely think my next device will be something with a ~10 inch screen... and Wacom digitizer. Learning a lot from the usage scenarios I am encountering though.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I so love my 8.9" display. It makes thd slate the same size as a paperback book (remember books:D ) I could not agree with you more about Wacom digitizer. I have a sinking feeling that I will be forced to go to a 10" device next to get a wacom device.:(

5. aaronb1138

Ah, books, yes, I'm old enough to remember when there were places called libraries where you could borrow them.

I'll have to actually take time to play with something in Best Buy (if they are around in 6 months) and figure out fully the 8.9" vs 10.1" screen form factor. I do like the size of the Slate as far as portability and flexibility, but in OneNote I find myself reaching for the next page scroll button a lot. Most of what I'm doing is taking notes in college classes, which requires landscape orientation with fullscreen edit mode in OneNote more often than not. If I was jotting regular, less hierarchical and graphical notes, I would probably use portrait more often and have no problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.