Zoom / Magnifier

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by EmailGuy, Oct 11, 2011.

1. EmailGuy

EmailGuy Pen Pal - Newbie

I've recently moved to the W500 tablet. I've used tablets with the active digitizer for years. Because of the precision of the active digitizers, I never had any issues selecting small objects in Windows.

With the high resolution of the W500 on such a small screen, there are times when I need to select something very small. I thought the Magnifier application would do the trick, but I'm really struggling with it. My W500 is a slate only tablet without the keyboard dock. That means I have to completely rely on the capacitive touch screen. If I had to carry a keyboard and mouse, then I might as well use a regular laptop.

I've tried all of the views of the magnifier and the problem is the positioning. They seem to be designed to follow the mouse pointer. Since I don't have a mouse, it is really tough to get the lens over items towards the edges of the screen.

I wish there was a was to enable a system wide zooming feature like in IE.

If anyone has some tips on using Magnifier without a mouse or another application that works better, let me know.

2. Wiz33

Wiz33 Scribbler - Standard Member

Get a Jots Stylus. Make selecting small objects a breeze.

Adonit

3. EmailGuy

The Jot Stylus looks interesting.

I only have two concerns about it. The first is that it might scratch the screen. If there is a little dirt on the screen that hard plastic disk may scratch it.

The other concern is in using a stylus. One main reason to use a touch tablet is to eliminate the pen. It sounds like it works best to use your fingers for multi-touch gestures like pinching and swiping, then use the stylus for precise drawing, writing, and selection. So do you end up switching between the stylus and finger inputs? Is Adonit located in the US or another country? What does shipping cost to the US?

4. Wiz33

Wiz33 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just rub your finer over the pad when you take the stylus out and that should remove any hard particles that may have stick to the pad. I would rather use a stylus as I hate having to wipe the fingerprints off the screen all the time.

They are in the U.S. I just ordered a couple of them and the shipping is $7.50

5. EmailGuy

I figured out what I was doing wrong with the magnifier. I set the view to full screen. When it shows the arrows on all the sides I was tapping them and they would only move the screen a little bit, but not all the way. I figured out I needed to press them and drag instead of tapping them. Now I can turn on the magnifier and drap the screen to any position to select small text or controls.

6. AllenPapapetrou

AllenPapapetrou Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the drag tip EmailGuy. Now all I want is pinch/zoom...

Allen