Zbook X2 just anounced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. David B

David B Pen Pal - Newbie

Just an FYI, but I was perusing HP's customizable configurations today and noticed they have added the 2TB SSD option to the configurator - so I'm assuming that means it's not on the chopping block yet, also they've changed the extended warranty coverage options from what they were a few months ago fwiw. Adding the 2tb made it very tempting, but jeez they're asking a steep price for it (I can order a samsung 960 pro with expert installation from amazon cheaper than HPs upcharge)

Steve S and Marty like this.
  2. _AVP_

_AVP_ Pen Pal - Newbie

Because it's very uncomfortable to bind, memorize, switch and use all possible combinations? Because it's quite stupid lack of functionality for this price? Because it's not always even possible, to bind all combinations, so there would be any sense in those keys at all?
    The question is, whether it's a software or hardware issue.

3. Tha C-Master

Tha C-Master Pen Pal - Newbie

How is this device nowadays with the latest drivers?

I was strongly considering getting one. I have been having eye sensitivity issues with my other drawing devices and I was hoping this would help as it's a matte screen.

Does it still lag? Does anybody have any eye strain or irritation using this device?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018 at 12:58 AM
  4. carnageX12

carnageX12 Pen Pal - Newbie

The main issue I see when drawing is that touch has to be disabled. If I try to leave touch enabled when drawing the cursor goes bonkers, basically draws a whole bunch of random lines from the pen tip to the direction of where my hand touched the screen. Hoping to get a video of it soon. Other than that, I have no real complaints. Since it's easy to assign one of the touch buttons to toggle the touchscreen, it's easy to cope with the problem, but sort of disappointing, none of my other devices have had this problem to the degree that the zbook x2 has. My z canvas, surface pro 3, and thinkpad yoga 14 all had a similar issue of random dots showing up while sketching fast. The z canvas could disable the touch and when I did that I didn't have any random dot problems, and actually with one of the recent windows updates I don't have a problem at all even with touch still enabled. I've never had issues keeping the touchscreen enabled and drawing on my cintiq hybrid, cube mix pro, and ipad pros. I was hoping the experience on the zbook x2 was going to be closer to the cintiq hybrid, the zbook x2's pen seems more accurate, but I still feel like the hybrid edges out in overall feel, too bad it was never updated.

I bought mine after the update was issued that dealt with the lag other members encountered, so I never experienced any lag problems like that was mentioned before. Haven't experienced eye strain either. What device are you currently using that gives you eye strain?

Despite that glaring problem mentioned, I really do like this device. With touch disabled it is nice to draw on and has power I need for other tasks.

5. Tha C-Master

That won't bother me much as I turn off touch anyways when I draw haha. I do know that some like the touch while they are drawing.

It's great the lag isn't the problem. I've had issues with Lenovo thinkpad Yogas (both the 14 and Thinkpad x1 yoga) when I tried them. The x1 was PWM free too. I've heard many have eye strain issues with them too. I also tried the Fujitsu T904 and T935 as well. No luck there. It's certain machines and phones it seems. I changed my phone to a Motorola 6 play and have had no phone issues anymore (as opposed to the Galaxy S8) so I'm getting better. The Samsung notebook 9 pro gave me issues too and was brutal on my eyes.

I ended up getting one with 32 gb ram and 1tb storage for $1500. So I got a solid deal, I'll let you know what I think of it.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

What?! How the flying heck did you score a top end model so cheap?? Is it new/refurbed/slightly used?

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That is a very very good price for that config. But I have to ask......is it the Dreamcolor screen?.....and it using a 7th or 8th Gen CPU?

The current price from B&H for a 32GB/1TB/Dream Color and 7th Gen i7-7600U is $2399 (which B&H is saying is a $880 sale discount).....so if you were able to snag that same config for $1500.....you got a really good deal.

I've seen a few offerings on Ebay/Amazon for the 16GB/256/512 models in that price range....but not 32GB.

Right now B&H has.....what I though was a fairly decent deal on the low end model. $1199 for the 8GB/256GB/i7-7500U/No Dreamcolor…….which price wise isn't that bad compared to a Surface Pro 5 or 6....especially when you factor in the pen & keyboard are included.

8. nurbs

nurbs Pen Pal - Newbie

You may have already done this, and I do not have the X2 but a 27QHD, but have you tried unchecking windows INK (it's a checkmark in the Wacom pen properties) and also adding the following lines to your PSUserConfig.txt:

# Use WinTab
    UseSystemStylus 0

That file can be found here. If it's not there, create one and drop it in.
    C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC version \Adobe Photoshop CC version Settings\

9. Tha C-Master

Like new refurb, someone bought it and didn't want it.

That's why I pulled the trigger. If this item doesn't work I'm just going to do an Intuos or Huion and have to buy a general use laptop with long battery life and portability (I have a large gaming laptop) and a tablet.

This would do all three although it would be bulky. The Fujitsu T901 isn't exactly light but Ioved it for what it was. It just makes my head hurt.

I asked and this one has the Dreamcolor and everything, although for my eye issues I probably would want the longer battery life and I'm not sure if the Dreamcolor would bother it. I'm getting it today so I will report my findings. This one is an excellent condition refurb that someone sent back.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018 at 5:29 PM
    Selofain likes this.
  10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Sweet catch! If for some reason the ZBook X2 doesn't work out for you, can I call first dibs on buying it from you? completely serious. :)