Zbook X2 just anounced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Interesting, i actually don't like USB-C PD right now. I did find a 12v car charger that would run a profile 4 USB-C device and tried it on my MSP16 but it wouldn't work. I dont have it anymore as i returned it before i purchased the zbook- i was trying to find a solution for running MSP on my battery that has 12v out car plug.

I can run the Zbook on the stock Bix Power voltage regulator my battery came with via the standard plug! This is great considering the devices short battery life.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@Yuureikun : It's been a while; any indication on your end as to whether HP is making any progress on a better driver?

3. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Pen Pal - Newbie

From Wikipedia: The Quadro line of GPU cards emerged in an effort at market segmentation by Nvidia.[citation needed] In introducing Quadro, Nvidia was able to charge a premium for essentially the same graphics hardware in professional markets, and direct resources to properly serve the needs of those markets.[dubiousdiscuss] To differentiate their offerings, Nvidia used driver software and firmware to selectively enable features vital to segments of the workstation market; e.g., high performance anti-aliased lines and two-sided lighting were reserved for the Quadro product.[citation needed] In addition, improved support through a certified driver program was put in place.[citation needed] These features were of little value in the gaming markets that Nvidia's products already sold to, but prevented high end customers from using the less expensive products.

So Nvidia (and HP) jacked up their price on a gaming GPU because they revised the drivers for CAD, etc. The bug we've found here, however, seems to show that these CAD drivers still need work.

Many of these cards use the same core as the game- and action-oriented GeForce video cards by Nvidia. Those cards that are identical to the desktop cards can be software modified to identify themselves as the equivalent Quadro cards and this allows optimized drivers intended for the Quadro cards to be installed on the system. While this may not offer all of the performance of the equivalent Quadro card,[citation needed] it can improve performance in certain applications, but may require installing the MAXtreme driver for comparable speed.

The performance difference comes in the firmware controlling the card.[citation needed] Given the importance of speed in a game, a system used for gaming can shut down textures, shading, or rendering after only approximating a final output—in order to keep the overall frame rate high. The algorithms on a CAD-oriented card tend rather to complete all rendering operations, even if that introduces delays or variations in the timing, prioritising accuracy and rendering quality over speed. A Geforce card focuses more on texture fillrates and high framerates with lighting and sound, but Quadro cards prioritize wireframe rendering and object interactions.

4. Floater

Floater Pen Pal - Newbie

Someone asked about sleeves. I spent a long time figuring out what size to buy. I've bought two, both of which are a good fit and accommodate the pen in the smartcard pen holder thing. I went for the 15.4/15.6 inch sizes of these:

This one is just for when I don't need to carry power supplies, mice, 3D controllers, etc (e.g. travelling with a 2nd, larger bag or going to an office that has a power supply etc):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X97M8X8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've only used it once. Seemed fine.

This one has a couple of pockets and a shoulder strap and I really like it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076WVDC1M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's pretty smart, very soft inside, the quality seems good and it carries everything I need (notebook, micro USB cable, 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator, pens, business cards, microfiber cloth, power supply [see below], microsoft arc mouse surface edition [Works over bluetooth so no need to tie up the single USB port with a dongle. I tried the current generation version with horizontal and vertical scrolling and hated it - you have to lift your left finger off if you want to right click! - bought the previous model off ebay sealed in box]).

I also bought this slim 90W power supply:

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=H6Y83AA&opt=ABU&sel=ACC

I didn't buy it from HP - I found it much cheaper elsewhere.

It's very slim and both cables can be removed. It has a USB charging port so I no longer have to carry a USB charger for my phone. However, the first one failed and I had to get a replacement so there is a question mark over reliability. So far so good though.

Art_N00b, DaniJoy, Steve S and 2 others like this.
  5. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

I am not sure how much I can say, so I will just leave it at this: I am extremely pleased with the Zbooks current performance, and HP's customer support has been excellent and super helpful. So much better than my previous experiences with companies like Wacom, Dell, Fujitsu, etc.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  6. _AVP_

_AVP_ Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys, have you tried other Wacom digitizers except from MSP? Is there a way to make one with 2 buttons working?

7. snapalpha

snapalpha Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone,

Can someone please help me and install Blender 3D to see if you have the same issue I'm having. It seems to not recognize any palm rejection at all. When the tip is close to the screen and my palm touches the screen at the same time the cursor acts erratic, as if it can't decide to respond to the pen tip or touch. Here is a video of the issue.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled blender, I even downloaded an older version and it still has the same issue. I have "ignore touch input turn on when using pen" enabled but no luck. I'm in contact with HP support, just waiting to here back. I'm wondering if anyone else have the same issue? Thank you, everyone!

8. Yuureikun

I get that same behavior in Clip Studio Paint. I remedied the issue by switching to “Tablet PC” instead of “Wintab” under the tablet service preferences in Clip Studio.

For some reason, when using the Zbook X2 wintab drivers, touch input is still recognized even when the stylus is within hover distance from the tablet screen.

Your best bet is going to be to call HP and work with their team on the issue. The Zbook is still new and has some glitches they are working out, and can use all the info they can get on it.

artistebot likes this.
  9. snapalpha

snapalpha Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the response Yuureikun. So the issue is palm rejection? It seem to be working fine in photoshop cc. Do you use Blender and Zbrush? Do you have the same issue. I also have Clip Studio Paint. I'm going to install and test. Thanks again!

10. Yuureikun

It would seem that palm rejection is the issue, yes. I remember on my old Cintiq Companion, or any other touch enabled Wacom penabled tablet I have used, touch would always turn off when the pen was in range of the screen. This is the only tablet where touch and pen input seem to stay active even when the pen is in hover range.

I get this behavior in Clip Studio, and Photoshop. As I said, if I set Clip Studio to "tablet PC" in the pen settings, the issue goes away for me, so for my use case it becomes a non issue. I have never used Blender or Zbrush so I can't speak on those applications, but I would imagine the behavior is the same across the board.

artistebot likes this.