Zbook X2 just anounced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. godofiron

godofiron Pen Pal - Newbie

Holy hell, I want this device so bad - everything I've seen about it seems to beat the Wacom MobileStudio Pro, which i thought I'd have no choice but to buy, as there were no other options till now...!

I have only two fears about this product - the graphics card (Nvidia Quadro M620). I'm not too tech savvy, so i don't know how fast/powerful that is, or if i'd be able to run 3D animation programs like maya, as well as illustration and drawing programs. my current laptop is i7 with a GTX 970m, with 32 GB ram so if anyone with a bit more tech knowledge could tell me how the Zbook x2 stacks up against those specs, I would be super grateful.

The second fear, is HP product reliability/customer support. I've heard horror stories in the past about their products, but I've also heard similar about wacom and their crappy service soooo... maybe it doesn't matter that much.

I'm really looking forward to this nonetheless!

2. azaniramsan

azaniramsan Pen Pal - Newbie

CPU wise, HP will be faster because using newer Gen, more cores, processor. Assuming you're picking its top model.

GPU wise, like I said before, m620 should be equal to MX150, which is a GT 1030. Google 970m VS 1030 for more Info. But on the other hand, you can use external graphic enclosure thanks to TB3 although it's still unclear how many lanes these ports have.

Both of hp and your laptop have 32gb max capacity. Again, assuming you pick the top model.

8th gen i7 + 32gb + 1 or 2 TB ssd will be Very expensive

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

3. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I wish that had already been a design trend this past year (or maybe it already is, and I just don't know because all my focus is on tablets with artist ergonomics).

I honestly wish they would have eschewed Quadro M1000M in the top end MSP16 for plain integrated graphics. Divert the resources to either lowering the price, or ensuring it gets a top end CPU. Most importantly, it probably would have had much better heat management, since the thing allegedly still runs warm-to-hot, and even shuts itself down sometimes, even though it was a major improvement over the CC2.

Let the consumer decide later on if they really need the GPU. They could temporarily plug in a much better one via TB3 when they want to do something that requires it. Either way, I'll stop complaining and just go ahead and enjoy having 4gb GDDR5 onboard the unit.

Anyway, I guess 8th gen ZB2s not being available until TBA 1st quarter 2018 means I'm dropping out, and I'll be finally grabbing my MSP16 late Nov/Early Dec. I know it sounds stupid, but I don't think I can wait that long for certain reasons. Additionally, I still suspect the MSP16 is the ergonomic king, especially when it's equipped with a good stand, though the ZB2 still looks like it could also be pleasant to work on for hours on end.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  4. godofiron

Thank you so much for the info, dude - yes my intention is definitely to get the highest spec version of the Zbook X2 - I get the feeling it'll still be better value than the Wacom Alternative, when it comes to mobile creativity.... I'll still keep my fingers crossed for something below $3500....!!

5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I don't think I could justify spending over $2000 on it. The Yoga 720 15 meets all of my must-haves. 100% Adobe RGB and 10-bit support are nice-to-haves. The Core i7 7700HQ 16GB onboard RAM (expandable to 32GB) and 4K display is selling for $1649 and can be found for less. I'm willing to add $350 for 100% Adobe RGB and 10-bit support, but I can't justify adding $1000 or $2000.

15" 3:2 aspect ratio would have made this an even better product, but 16:9 has a bigger market.

6. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

^Yeah, I took a long, hard look at the Surface Book 2, on the subject of 3:2. I even imagined not bothering to detach it from the keyboard in many cases -- just folding it up instead into a monstrous metal sandwich of raw power, and resting the entire thing on a 3rd party stand.

I dropped out again over multiple ergonomic concerns. I know the Dial is getting more support but I just didn't trust it to match the speed of the Wacom setup. I wasn't even sure the thing would feel that great on a 15" screen, where it might end up taking up as much as 1/4 the real estate, versus the Surface Studio where even then it has problems like sliding off. I hate to sound hyperbolic, but distractions like that will have a snowball effect if you're dead set on meeting deadlines.

I mean you could argue it's a tad embarrassing how it's sliding off even in this promo vid @1:03:

7. godofiron

assuming not upgradeable, I'd go for the max spec, as I'm an illustrator and animator - I reaaaally love the idea of being able to take a mini workstation everywhere with me, for impromptu work, and even demonstrations. I'd certainly like it to cost less than the surface studio, so I think $3500 would be the maximum I could pay and not feel cheated. but i feel that 2TB SSD option might seriously jack up the price, so maybe not so much.
    i7 processor latest gen would be great, but I also really like the performance my current one, so i'm not hung up on it. I'd have LOVED it if it was around 15.5 inch diagonal for drawing space... but 14 inches isn't so bad.

A deal breaker would be if the pen drawing technology in the device is crap... but since it's wacom, I'm 100 percent sure I'll like it, as I'm satisfied with the performance of my old cintiq 13HD touch. Another would be if the specs were too weak to run 3D animation, modelling and rigging applications, as well as 2D animation software... but from the specs I've seen, I don't think i'd have to worry about that - this thing is a little beast...!

for this, I think my maximum price would be $4000. While I'm technically a professional illustrator, I'm not making good money yet, and I still live at home, so I'd have to save up for quite some time.

I've never actually used a 3:2 ratio screen for my self - the first example of that i remember seeing is the Surface Studio. It really does seem like it's be a brilliant thing, especially that 1:1 A4 paper size comparison. maybe I'd pay an extra $200 for that feature (I've never had it, so I don't know what I'm missing lol), so all in all I'm basically getting a more powerful, but smaller surface studio.

Marty likes this.
  8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What I learned from that video is that YouTube's Japanese to English automatic translation is atrocious! Utter gibberish.

9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Why so generous? The Yoga 720 15 is similarly specced, and it starts at $1000 (FHD, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD) and tops out at $1700 (4K, 16GB RAM expandable to 32GB, 1TB SSD). The Yoga 720 15 is obviously missing some features (100% Adobe RGB, 10-bit color support, hardware buttons, tilt, classic Wacom nibs, PORTS) but are they really worth $2300?

Code:
       device |  Yoga 720 15 |     HP ZBook x2
          CPU |       7700HQ |           8550U
          RAM |         32GB |            32GB
          GPU |     GTX 1050 |            M620
      GPU RAM |          4GB |             2GB
     PCIe SSD |          1TB |             2TB
          TB3 |  one, 2-lane |     two, 4-lane
    color
        gamut |    100% sRGB |  100% Adobe RGB
    supported
    color
        depth |        8 bit |          10 bit
    physical
    color
        depth |        8 bit |           8 bit
    resolution|           4K |              4K
     diagonal |        15.6" |             14"
    aspect
        ratio |         16:9 |            16:9
          pen |    Wacom AES |       Wacom EMR
     pen tilt |           no |             yes
    other
        ports |  2 x USB 3.1 | USB 3, HDMI, SD
              |              | SmartCard
    pysical
    face
      buttons |         none |    4 multimode,
              |              |   2 single mode
    side
      buttons |        power |   power, volume
    kickstand |           no |             yes
    price of
    highest
       config |        $1700 |               ?

10. godofiron

honestly, i had no idea any other competitors to the Wacom MobileStudio pro existed. I'll check it out a bit more and see if it's something that could do what i need. from what I've witnessed so far, i wouldn't have access to the keyboard once i'm in tablet mode, so that's a con for me. It also doesn't seem to have express keys on the side, and in general, from the couple reviews I just watched, it doesn't seem as streamlined/tailored to professional artists as the ZBook x2 or the Wacom MobileStudio Pro.
    They aren't massive dealbreakers individually, but they add up.

I'll do some more research - thank you so much for pointing it out to me. The way my wallet's looking, I might end up going with the Yoga afterall...!