Zbook X2 just anounced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Subgeta, if you read through the whole thread, most, if not all your questions have been addressed.

Anyway risking to repeat what has already been said, tested, discussed and so on..

Not enabled the device simply flies and has no noticeable lag, with Wacom services enabled there is noticeable lag. I have been working with it enabled and disabled. IMHO sketching with it off is best, painting not as much an issue. I always leave touch and Dreamcolor on.

HP needs to fix this.

A "new" review the pushes the Zbook X2 in editing.

https://postperspective.com/review-hps-zbook-x2-mobile-workstation/

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Art_N00b likes this.
  2. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah I’m starting to get a little nervous. I haven’t heard from HP since Tuesday, and I sent an email asking the level 2 tech about how long of an extension I would have as far as potentially returning the unit, since it is not too useful at the moment with the lag, and I don’t want to wait months to be able to draw on my expensive new tablet and was promised I’d be able to return it passed the usual 30 days if I needed and the issue wasn’t fixed.

I really wish they’d get to the bottom of It quickly.

artistebot and Art_N00b like this.
  3. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

i can confirm the issue with lag. i noticed while comparing the zbook side by side to my MSP16 that the zbook has some kind of brush stabilization.

i created a poster sized document in photoshop @ 300dpi, used a really slow mixer brush, zoomed out so canvas was small and i draw as fast as i can going edge to edge on the document. on the MSP, i get 100% accuracy. on the zbook the lines stay in the middle. so its using some predictive brush smoothing or something like that. my ipad does similar things in some programs. i think its how they get such good performance in procreate. its not actually using your hand, but a approximation thats GPU accelerated. i prefer my marks not the computer enhanced marks. some may like it the other way around. i would just like a choice. Ill make a youtube video and talk to support when i get a chance.

Initial impressions:

zbook is a very quiet machine, does not surge like the MSP while torture testing it
    zbook gets very hot just like MSP but heat is distributed all over device, where on the MSP heat is on 30% of the charger side.
    zbook battery life is better than MSP. but not much. no time to benchmark so i cant provide actual numbers that are accurate.
    zbook screen is a little bit brigher compared to MSP16.
    zbook has a very impressive integrated driver thats almost exactly like the wacom driver.
    i did find some bugs on zbook, and like wacom, i had to turn off windows ink and edit user config to get the photoshop alt, right click brush size change to work. this cracks me up ive had to do this to every wacom device ive ever owned and this includes the zbook...
    i wish the express keys had backlight on both machines
    i find the keyboard not very comfortable in drafting mode , where i disconnect it and put it to the side.its to big and im a big guy.will be even more awkward for smaller users. i will be using my portable keyboard to get proper ergonomics. i would suffer wrist pain with stock setup over time.
    screen is lovely
    kick stand is wonderful! wacom MSP needs this! but my flipsteady is a great but expensive solution for the MSP.
    pen feels great on zbook with etched glass. i can still feel the greater pressure curve on pro pen 2 , but its zbook pen is very good. Artists will love it. its pressure is as good as my cintiq 27 and has less parallax.
    i still like MSP pro pen shape more. just my preference.
    lapablility is not so good with zbook. you can do it, but its awkward. this is not a deal killer for me, i dont like radiating my balls.
    the zbook is slightly faster than MSP. im not surprised as its two generations newer. but i was hoping it would be more noticeable. on giant documents with huge brushes in photoshop its a couple seconds faster doing large full page brushstrokes. everything is slightly smoother on the zbook, but not the huge leap i was hoping for. I love the fact i can add more RAM , im going to bump mine to 32gb.
    Zbook keyboard and track pad feel amazing in laptop mode. just as good as a macbook IMO.
    the keyboard also protects tablet in laptop mode while traveling. i love the form factor even though its not comfortable to use the keyboard on the side via blue tooth... there has been many times i forget my BT keyboard when im out with my MSP, so its nice zbook as keyboard all the time.
    zbook is heavy. so is MSP.
    i still prefer drawing / painting on the MSP. its bigger, and thats just what its made for, it just feels more premium.
    Zbook has less glitches so far than MSP did on launch. very impressed with HP so far.
    zbook is a more manageable size for going to coffee shops and the like. its faster to setup, as it has laptop form factor. but the difference is only 30-60 seconds max. MSP is better for art IMO, being larger, and i think the driver has more features- but dont quote me yet i have not toyed to much with virtual menu's and stuff. im more of a keyboard hotkey user. you need a large bag to carry MSP and i think its more fragile. this is just my opinion of course, hard to quantify without breaking devices and im not rich.......
    zbook is over a grand cheaper not counting the extras i spent on my MSP, like flipsteady and soft case. I did use a 20% coupon code on zbook courtesy of a fellow user here.. wacom never has sales unless a new model is due.

Both are great devices. If i could only have one it would be a tough choice. if money was no object, i would go for the MSP, with a flipsteady and softcase. but, its hard to justify the older hardware, and price for a small increase in pen performance and screen size. If they update MSP to zbook or newer specs it would be a better machine for most artists, IMO. BUt really the difference in minor in the real world. few seconds rendering here, slightly smoother brush use there. But for my friends on a budget, i would say just get the zbook. its great machine for content creation, and is a wonderful form factor. i hope we see more and more machines this well built and thought out.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'm gonna wait to see if they fix this lag issue with the driver, but you guys are definitely selling me on this device. I work fast, so any brush stabilization that effects my marks would infuriate me so I won't plunk down that kinda cash until I see they are actually gonna fix this, but otherwise sounds like a really solid device.

5. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

@DaniJoy thanks for the detailed review. I find it interesting that with all the advantages of the ZBook you "still prefer drawing / painting on the MSP"!

DaniJoy likes this.
  6. artistebot

HP tech support has been keeping me updated. They continue to test with new driver updates

Thanks Danijoy for the extensive review, well considered and balanced.

IMHO, HP technical support and the ability to get comprehensive warranty coverage is another huge advantage over wacom. I have a hard time reccomending wacom in that regard.

For me the biggest issue w the Zbook is that it runs windows...lol

DaniJoy and Yuureikun like this.
  7. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anybody found a good stand for using the ZBook X2 in portrait mode?

8. David B

David B Pen Pal - Newbie

HP Y7B68AA - doesn't directly provide portrait mode, but might be useful for some here

9. artistebot

Zbook X2 in action for a monster concept.

10. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you use your pro pen 2 on your zbook?