Zbook X2 just anounced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

But HP has always had a wide range of products...they had cheap consumer products, but they've also had premium products available too!

stoneseeker likes this.
  2. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

One benefit is the 4K screen option. I don't know that matters at that screen size but calling it out.

3. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder if a AMD Raven Ridge version would be possible...

Anyway, regarding it being 16:9. Surely, for it's intended use cases, this is the best aspect ratio? Once you take into account toolbars, you end up with a 4:3ish canvas. For video editing, it also neatly fits a preview into a quarter of the display. The only thing it really would suck a bit for is full canvas drawing, and handwritten notes, but it wasn't designed for those uses. Portrait mode was also clearly not the intended way to use it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  4. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

This is a really solid workstation replacement, wonder if they will make a gamer version. With a Nvidia 1070 or Radeon 580? Probably not and would gamers even want such a thing?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

5. azaniramsan

azaniramsan Pen Pal - Newbie

Just plug in your own tb3 graphic card enclosure with any graphic card you want

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

6. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I was browsing through their (very detailed) spec sheet when I saw this:

Emphasis mine.

This is the description of the digitizer in the zbook, and I am just tickled that they mention a low IAF. That's something we've been talking about forever on this forum, and I think it's hilarious that it's actually becoming marketing speak.

Also, it specifically mentions that the side button on the pen is customizable, which should allay fears that Wacom won't support it with a Feel driver. Who cares? HP's got us covered.

There's an entire section down near the end of the document where they go over the pen specs in as much detail as every other component. I am delighted. Hover range! Resolution and polling rate! 6 felt tips omg yes.

Other things of note:

The x2 pen is sold separately, which is kind of a pain for that price, but at least you can definitely buy multiples if necessary.

Intel 8th Gen available early 2018. Good thing I was waiting until summer/fall anyway.

The RAM is definitely in sodimm slots, so depending on how easy this thing is to take apart, you should be able to do upgrades yourself. Hard drive too, probably.

I really want this to be out already so I can play with customization options. The more I read about the zbook, the more I think I'm going to have to live with 16:9.

Why doesn't Acer give me this kind of detailed specs? No wonder I'm falling out of love with it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    WillAdams, stoneseeker and neongolden like this.
  7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

HP should definitely be congratulated for their detailed spec sheet.

I'm kind of bummed out I won't be supporting this excellent product because I already got a brand new device.

8. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just a quick poll: assuming upgradeable / not upgradeable, what price and config would you guys be interested in?

For me, 8th gen processor is a must. If it's upgradeable, I hope their is $2500 config with at least a i7-8550U and 256GB NVMe (which I can later upgrade with a Samsung 980 when it arrives).

If non-upgradeable, I'd be interested in the i7-8550U with 512GB Z-Turbo drive for $2800, if it has a full-depth SD slot.

If the SD slot is half-depth it might be a deal-breaker, then I'd consider going for the i7-8550U with the 1TB TLC drive for $2800, but probably I'd hold out until they offer a 1TB MLC drive option for <$3000.

How about you guys? What's your max price? Any deal-breakers?

(Side question: how much more would you pay for 3:2? For me the better aspect ratio would actually make a serious contender and I'd up my max price from $2800 to $3500. :))

9. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Oh, that's so hard for me since I always do my best to avoid paying full price. I will wait for sales, coupons, Black Friday, or buy refurbished if I can.

Assuming upgradeability, I think my minimum specs would be an 8th Gen i7, Nvidia GPU, and fingerprint reader.

Assuming no upgradeability (ugh), 16GB ram and 512GB HDD in addition to the above.

The Dreamcolor screen sounds really nice, but if I'm super honest with myself, it's not necessary. I don't really deal in the kind of work that demands a screen that nice.

Depending on the msrp of my preferred config, I think I'm hoping to eventually buy for around $2000 or less. Which, hah, was the msrp of my T901 config that I got for $1200 refurbished.

10. azaniramsan

azaniramsan Pen Pal - Newbie

Honestly, if they break the 2k mark, I'd go with acer and a Wacom remote. The quadro m620 trade blows against MX150, they are roughly equal.

The pros from Zbook which are 4k 100% Adobe, physical shortcut buttons and lot of ports are not appealing enough for me to justify the cons and the price

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk