Zbook X2 just anounced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For me this is the first device to really offers it all per say. Up till this.....the Cintiq Companions and Mobile Studio Pro were the only modern devices with programmable Express Keys, and that alone is a huge plus for me. I have the Express Key Remote, the Surface Dial, and a few third party mini gaming controls jury rigged for shortcuts....and for me they are all still subpar to having physical Express Keys on the bezel. Having them on the bezel and being able to cradle them with your hand makes me feel more connected to the whole drawing experience and makes it easier for me to focus. Its like both hands are fully occupied so I'm less prone to distractions by grabbing other things, etc. The remote/dial I tend to move around a lot and have trouble getting into a comfortable position. The other week at NYCC, I got to play with the Cintiq Pro 16 at the Wacom booth....the lack of Express Keys kind of killed it for me.....like it had the bezel.....felt perfect to cradle......but not having those keys was just to infuriating.

Also...the MSP makes a great drawing tablet, but a poor laptop replacement.....the Lack of a kickstand or any official stand really holds the device back, and while you could use a Bluetooth keyboard.....when you're on the go with limited desk space.....it's just a cumbersome set up. Like my Mobile Studio Pro doesn't replace my Surface Pro 3 or even Galaxy Book 10.6......when I need to do typing or laptop related tasks.

But on the other side....the Pro 3, Galaxy Book, and Switch 7.......don't have Express Keys. The HP ZBX2 has the Express Keys, and the kickstand and detachable keyboard cover make it more suitable to serve as a laptop replacement when needed. The HP ZBX2 is the first device to really give us our cake and allow us to eat it too.

And I'm not sure where HP is going to sell this thing....but for all we know.....this could easily pop up on the display rack at Best Buy or The Microsoft Store.......allowing us to try it before we buy it.......which is typically not the case with Wacom products. Also we might get better return, warranty, and repair options from the crappy service Wacom offers. After my CC2 crapped out right around the time of the MSP release......I was nuts to go back to Wacom after their last expensive tablet failed me, but they were the only game in town really.....It was before S-Pen EMR made a comeback to Windows and everything else was n-trig/AES. This ZBX2....totally changes the game.

stoneseeker, Tams and Marty like this.
  2. cmd

cmd Pen Pal - Newbie

Cooling pictures clearly show both CPU and GPU on tablet. They must have internal miscommunication if some are saying it is in keyboard.

upload_2017-10-19_11-58-13.png

Tams and darkmagistric like this.
  3. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

A couple of other stray thoughts:

I have a really good feeling about the cooling system, which they discussed in another YT vid that I can no longer find right now. It looks like it might be Z Canvas quietest-setting levels of good. The HP rep said you should little to no heat whatsoever on the surface.

On the flipside, I don't dig the pen design at all... to the point that I'm actually wondering if I could just use the Staedtler Noris Digital with a rubber grip. Alternatively, I imagined disabling the side-switch on that HP pen just so I could, again, slide a grip on it to give it similar contours to the Wacom ProPens. I don't know; I've shifted over the years to prefer fat drawing utensils, but I still have a love for the Wacom Classic pen because it has such curvy contours. Basically, this HP Pen is just a uninspired cylinder that's neither fat or thin, with no useful groove at the bottom (something Wacom's had since very early days like the Intuos 3) to stick your fingernail into to help moderate the pressure to a finer degree.

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I think there could possibly be a sensor that deactivate the dgpu if the keyboard is detached, which indicates for them that you are in "tablet" mode and so the pc must get less hot.
    Just a conjecture.

JoeS likes this.
  5. azaniramsan

azaniramsan Pen Pal - Newbie

My reason is quite subjective; I grow fond of the drawing area of 3:2. Not too short in landscape or too narrow in portrait. Saves me from too much scrolling/panning.

For programmers who code in splitscreen, 3:2 gives you a more line of codes per view. 2 or 3 more extra line of code saves me from yet another scrolling.

Also, as hardware guy, if I wanted to buy something, I want it to be bleeding edge tech. Not a problem with the 8th Gen intel processor but with that 28nm maxwell gpu that soon obsolete and hdmi 1.4 (thanks for mentioning it). I might be using this for the next 3-5 years so I wanted it as futureproof as possible

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

6. darkmagistric

A few people have already voiced their displeasure at the HDMI 1.4 Port over a 2.0....but.....doesn't the two Thunderbolt3/USB-C ports more or less make the dedicated HDMI port......kind of redundant? Much like the USB Type A port, they probably only included the HDMI port solely for legacy purposes. But for future proofing for the next 3-5 years.....the Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports are more then sufficient.

azaniramsan likes this.
  7. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So it looks like the big draw is the Cintiq-like design (EMR + express keys), but with the niceties that the MSP lacks (TB3, kickstand, keyboard cover). This is essentially what Wacom should have made...but still, aren't you guys worried about the pricing?

The $1749 starting price only gets you the lowest config. Referring back to the datasheet, here are the processor and storage tiers:

Quadcore, 8th-gen:
    • i7-8650U (1.9GHz base / 4.2GHz turbo, 8MB cache)
    • i7-8550U (1.8GHz base / 4.0GHz Turbo, 8MB cache)
    • i5-8250U (1.6GHz base / 3.4GHz, 6MB cache)
    Dualcore, 7th-gen:
    • i7-7600U (2.8GHz / 3.9GHz turbo, 4MB cache)
    • i7-7500U (2.7 GHz / 3.5 GHz turbo, 4MB cache)
    M.2 SSD:
    • TLC NVMe: 256GB / 512GB (Opal 2) / 1TB / 2TB
    • MLC NVMe (HP Z Turbo Drive): 256GB / 512 GB
    • SATA: 512GB (FIPS-140-2, TLC) / 128GB "SATA" (no other info provided)
    So the kicker is that last spec—an unbranded, generic 128GB SATA SSD. They'll probably be sourcing this from the cheapest supplier they can find. And that's the one you're going to get with the lowest config.

You want the snazzy quad-core performance? You're going to have to select the upper tier processor and NVMe options (which I could easily see running past $2500), otherwise you're stuck with dual-core and a small, mediocre SSD.

Contrast this with the Switch 7: for $1,699 you immediately get an 8th-gen i7 quad-core, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, a Pascal-based MX150 GPU, and a better aspect ratio to boot.

So it seems to me the HP is only worth it if you need 32GB RAM and Quadro for professional workflows (but then again the M620 is just really weaksauce) and you're willing to pony up to the higher-end tiers and pricing.

Doesn't the Switch 7 seem like a much better buy here?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    WillAdams, neongolden and Azzart like this.
  8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But, but, but Quick keys! ;-)

jbaks and Darth_Moose like this.
  9. azaniramsan

azaniramsan Pen Pal - Newbie

Cooling_module_tcm245_2521744_tcm245_2521775_tcm245-2521744.jpg
    Red Square = Possible ram slots (no idea what is that silver box surrounding it)
    Green Square = Possible m.2 slot
    The black bar in the middle = Possible just a reflection from the kickstand

If the back cover and those black sticker can be safely removed, this would means the ram and storage is user-upgrade-able :) (no more ****ty oem ssd and premium charge for ram)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  10. darkmagistric

The Price tier is actually pretty on point with Wacoms. The MSP 13 at its lowest config is still $1499.....and that's the utterly worthless 4GB/64GB Model (like seriously....why did they even bother with that config, did we go back in time to 2010 or something?)

As is the MSP 13 at the i5/8GB/128GB is still $1799....and that's still only integrated graphics..........as I shelled out for a year ago.......the Fact that the HP Zbook also gets you the included Keyboard Cover and Kickstand, better port selection, and the Quadro graphics (which is still better then Skylake Iris)....and probably better support and warranty coverage..........taking all that into consideration, its Pricing doesn't really seem that bad.....compared to Wacom.....and Microsoft anyway.

I would agree Price for Price the Switch 7 does look like the better buy....but again......Express Keys and the better Pen (Full cintiq style over silo toothpick) can be reasonable justifications if you're looking to use this thing for 90% nothing but art work.

If there's anything that holds me back from either is simply the fact that these awesome products are coming from HP and Acer of all companies. Maybe I'm still sour from the days of old where both companies were notorious for putting out the low end junk. Provided they don't have any major quality control issues at release....I'm glad to see them putting out some quality products for a change.

neongolden and Azzart like this.