Zbook X2 just anounced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Gosudesign

Gosudesign Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  2. dv8nathan

dv8nathan Pen Pal - Newbie

Dreamcolor display always using gpu sucks up that battery life. Good to know it can be turned off.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...It's also got pretty bad light bleed around the edges of the screen ...This seems to be a common issue from what I've read...>>

...I find this an interesting comment. My Z Canvas, which also has a "high chroma" screen (IIRC, 98% of Adobe RGB color space), also has noticeable light bleed, primarily along the bottom edge. It sounds very similar to what the Reddit poster is describing. I wonder if these types of displays have significantly lower transmissivity (they're "denser" to get the richer colors) than run-of-the-mill LCD displays, and thus require much brighter LED backlights to get typical radiance levels, say 300 to 400 nits? The backlights, in turn, might be more likely to bleed around the edges of the screen because they are so much brighter, especially if the LCD screen has some minor mis-alignment during assembly...? Especially mis-alignments that would be otherwise acceptable for ordinary levels of backlighting...

Another interesting similarity; my ZC screen brightness tops out closer to 300 nits than 400 nits, very similar to what is shown in the LaptopMag review (4th graph) for the Z Book X2.

(This is just a theory...)

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That part kind of surprised me as well...especially that the Dreamcolor specifically requires the Discrete GPU. Usually even integrated HD graphics are pretty much sufficient for any pixel pushing display....but since the Matte display....clearly takes away from the screens full color potential.....the benefit of having that display is pretty much almost outweighted by the excess battery drain.

Most of us have been complaining about the underwhelming GPU in the zbook....with this little revelation....I wonder.

Given how Wacom had no problem putting out their Cintiq Companion 1&2 and 13-inch MSP without a discrete GPU....opting for just integrated Iris Graphics......Had HP chose not to have the Dreamcolor as an option.....potentially they could have done the same as wacom and release the Zbook with just integrated graphics. The Dreamcolor could be the only reason it has a discrete GPU at all.

Also.....Quadro Graphics.....while not as overall useful for most tasks as a GTX cards......do perform better for very specific tasks. Prehaps a GTX 1050/60 is just....not suited for pushing a Dreamcolor display? And since power for power.....Quadro cards cost more then GTX ones.....to keep the already high price as is.....they may have had no choice but to use a lower end Quadro.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Most of us have been complaining about the underwhelming GPU in the zbook...>>

...Underwhelming, perhaps, but IIRC still twice as capable as the integrated graphics engine...

6. David B

David B Pen Pal - Newbie

This basically tics all the boxes I desired in an update to my Z Canvas. (Though I've only had it for 2.5yrs and hesitant to upgrade)

I'm having a hard time discerning whether the 8650 outperforms the 4770 in my work as a commercial photographer. Based on what windows resource monitor is showing, the 32gb ram is huge (as I regularly peg 15.9 out of 16 in editing and retouching sessions) exporting from Lightroom pegs all 4 cores of the processor at 100% for the duration which can be 30 min or more if I'm exporting a show (2000+ images) other question is how well thermal management is as the ZC maintains turbo for majority of export session

Bonuses are Wacom pen tech and a backlit keyboard. I wouldn't consider a device that doesn't have a detachable wireless keyboard so not many other options.

Sorry for the ramble, just trying to figure if it's a "justifiable" expenditure.

And Steve S. I was thinking the same thing regarding high gamut displays and backlight bleed

ATIVQ and Marty like this.
  7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I think shifting to 10-bit color (actually 8-bit + temporal dithering) is a pretty big step up for image quality, but a matte screen is a step down from glossy, and so much backlight bleed that there's definition problem for dark colors would be a big problem. I think there will be a general shift to 10-bit color and wide color gamut in the premium 2-in-1 market, since UHD is becoming mainstream. From the review, though, the ZBook X2's display is not as great as it should be. The shift from 8-bit color to 10-ish-bit color might justify the upgrade, the matte display and light bleed might outweigh the benefits of 10-bit.

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

As far as I can remember the Cintiq 27, while being a 10 bit display didn’t show any light bleeding.

9. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

the semi-gloss/matt finish seems to have am influence on the appearance of the display, seems similar to the impression the Wacom MSP has? I always apply and semi-gloss screen protector on my tablets anyway.

Kinda of hope the build quality would be better than Wacom.

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree fully with the notion that it having an underwhelming discrete GPU is certainly better then just having integrated graphics.....but for the price point the ZBook hits, some of its chief competition.....specifically the Acer Switch 7 and Surface Book 2.....offer superior GPU options in the same price range.