Zbook X2 just anounced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

All of the other available SSD options on the configuration do not specify brand, so you are playing SSD lottery.

The Z-Turbo SED series features OPAL2 hardware level encryption which is useful in my personal usecase as I travel a lot.

In the currently inflated NAND market, and the possibility that after-market upgrades may break warranty, the 512GB Z-Turbo drive just seemed like the best value to hold me over until a large capacity Optane drives arrive.

2. Gosudesign

Gosudesign Pen Pal - Newbie

ok now you have me on the edge of my seat about to order this thing lol. Also, wow - those ZBook quad core benchmark scores are smoking - especially since they are only 15W.

3. andya147

andya147 Scribbler - Standard Member

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=13556323#!tab=models im not even shocked at these prices ....I think its a disgrace the price and its all to do with Wacom EMR...they will not allow hp to sell these close to the studio pro specs as it will really hurt there sales £ 5,541 for the highest spec model it outrageous ...one day apple will release a mac book pro in a form factor of the surface book 2 with the apple pencil and then that is when Wacom will really have a problem we pay more in the uk and the art community have to import the likes of the Samsung notebook pro 9 as Samsung don't see the market in the uk ..even the yoga 720 uk Lenovo wont sell the 4k screen ,,,Samsung wont use the feel drivers and the devices that use EMR are inflated its all a big con and money making .come on apple you can take over this market if you really wanted to

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Honestly, the wacom emr has nothing to do with the price point of this device.

5. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep. Wacom differentiate their products by keeping their best technology to themselves. The X2 is a zbook, which is HP highest quality laptop/notebook line. There's the consumer stuff, the business stuff, and then the workstation stuff. Respectively they go up in price. The zbooks are mobile workstations, and their GPUs show this. They are expensive because they use expensive components and because most of those buying them tend to not be buying them individually. Singular unit cost is far less important to those people.

6. dv8nathan

dv8nathan Pen Pal - Newbie

soooo, descided to go with the zbook over AS7 because the list of pros for this device outweighed what i wanted from AS7

1.11 lbs heavier wo/keyboard attatched but not as heavy as Msp16 was so i figure im good

3:2 ratio vs 16:9(i may not be accurate) i played with some cardboard cutouts at home and found i could live with the difference. figured it was like the sb1 vs x1yoga2 as far as screen size and ratio an i was able to do portrait work with the later.

silo'd pen. what helped me make my final decision was this video at about 4 minutes in hp apparently has a solution of sorts for keeping your pen with your tablet when cruzing around. its not silo'd in the device but i dont have to pocket my pen. i actually used wacoms pen holder solution for MSP16 which worked but wasn't as good because the pen got in the way of some of usbc ports. hp's is on the keyboard instead of the device so it wont be in the way when in use and they put it on the side without ports in case its plugged in and closed it wont get in the way.

hp's ship date for mine was estimated march 2nd

here is my configuration
    [​IMG]

i have an EGPU i can connect it to and would love to giveback to the forum any feedback about it when i get it. i will probably make a small video as well if necessary. unfortunately i don't understand some of the tests that are run, like some here do but will perform them if you guide me through it.

very excited!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    RT545, Marty, WillAdams and 4 others like this.
  7. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

great looking machine, certainly checks all the boxes for a professional workstation. I might consider this if the Mobile studio Pro 2 does not get a RAM spec bump.
    I wonder how the quad core will compare to dual core for daily tasks. synthetic benchmarks never really show useful workflow speeds (painting/rendering 3d/ rending video).?

8. Marty

Me too! :)

So I got some good news guys, the fans on this baby seem...very quiet.

You hear only a gentle whirring in the background, despite the the CPU at max load @1:20:

As soon as we get benchmarks in (to see that this isn't throttling like crazy) we can confirm unicorn status! ;)

dv8nathan and RT545 like this.
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...we can confirm unicorn status!..>>

...As long as you're looking for a 16:9 unicorn...

Selofain likes this.
  10. Marty

Wait, so a clarification of terminology: on this forum, to be awarded "unicorn status" does the tablet have to be literally perfect?

I mean the Z Canvas, despite its digitizer flaws, was a unicorn just purely on engineering. The Switch 7, also a candidate for overall form-factor and specs, even though it might not have a screen to match the GB12, ZBX2 or even the Z Canvas.

These devices—that hit so many of our long-time fantasies—surely deserve their own category, don't they?

dv8nathan likes this.