Zbook X2 just anounced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Oh. My.

Dammit.

I mean, on one hand, I am living. Finally, tablet pcs have reached the point where I'm happy to replace my T901 with something equal or greater. Competition is good. Choice is good. I actually have choice now. This HP looks fantastic.

But... 16:9. *cries* But for the programmable side buttons... I can probably compromise on this. This thing is pretty much what I'm looking for, minus the aspect ratio. Weight? Bring it on, just give me the beef.

Oh my god look at that thick pen. I am in love. I will probably buy the pen, if I can, even if I eventually decide away from the HP. Still only one side button, but that's ok, progammable side buttons.

Look at those ports. *fans self*

It's so wide though. But... really, I don't need portrait mode on this. Not anymore. My Galaxy Book fills that need perfectly. That's why I have it.

I think I just talked myself out of the Acer Switch 7 and into this.

stoneseeker and darkmagistric like this.
  2. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

16:9 does give you space for side bars/panels on side, while maintaining a decent canvas. Having hotkeys on both sides isn't a problem, as it accommodates both lefties and righties, which is only a good thing. For some it even adds more hotkeys.

Art_N00b, Selofain and darkmagistric like this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To integrate the Kickstand they would have to put the keys on both sides. Thats the flaw Wacom made with the Cintiq Companion and Mobile Studio Pro since Express Keys on one side only requires the tablet be flipable. And when they started with the Cintiq Pro line, instead of putting the keys on both sides, they just got rid of them all together, which is what allowed them to put the legs on the Cintiqs. I'm for one glad HP opted for Express Keys over a remote/totem/dial gimmick.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Between my Mobile Studio Pro and Galaxy Book 10.6.......I can't even remotely justify getting this.....but I'm really hoping that Cintiq Styled Pen is S-Pen digitizer compatible. I would love to use that pen on my Galaxy Book.....if they lock it's frequency to HP only.....or ended up using actual Cintiq DTK digitizers instead of the normal...compatible.. tablet PC Digiitzer stock.....I'm gonna be a very unhappy camper.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow, lots of people already seem to ready to throw money at HP for this...but I have to ask, for those of us with already "primed and tuned" workhorses, what is the main draw for you guys?

For example, the display on the MSP13 is already a 94% Adobe RGB display and 13.3" isn't that much different to 14".

For those of us with a Z Canvas, I think the biggest change will be EMR, but the performance will not improve (and may even drop, if the cooling is not up to par).

And for those of us new purchasers, the Quadro 620 is significantly weaker than the MX150 on the Switch 7. And the 13.5"@3:2 screen, I would say provides a more versatile workspace than 14"@16:9.

So what makes the ZBX2 so much more attractive than the competition for you guys?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    neongolden likes this.
  6. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah this is the best vid I've seen so far:

Check at 17 seconds: I think I'm actually seeing THREE LED indicators above each column of hotkeys. I'm assuming, and deeply applaud, that one of them is an indicator for when you have a column disabled, but I wonder what the 3rd LED would be for?

Two other things to note is it comes with TEN nibs (like 6 hard and 4 felt IIRC), and the RAM not only busts the 16gb cap I know some of us have been lamenting for a while, but it's also DDR4, which is really making the MSP16 look pretty bad right now if I'm not mistaken...

Yeah... I guess I have a lot to think about over this next month. I still prefer the ergonomics and bigger screen of the MSP16, but maybe I could adjust to this in the name of more bang-for-your-buck. I mean it's no contest: HP treats you like a VIP guest by comparison. More nibs, more port variety, more RAM, a fricking pack-in keyboard that protects the screen, etc... However, this may sound excessively nitpicky, but the Wacom Expresskeys, paired with the touch-ring, sort of crushes those peezy buttons on the HP from a workflow perspective (by my estimate).

Wonder if the drivers will be rock-solid on release... Sigh, guess I might just have to keep using my Duo 13 and pencil-on-paper until at least mid-December-ish now.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I'll still end up going with MSP16.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Marty likes this.
  7. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

You could get the ExpressKey Remote. Sure, it's yet another thing to charge, and there's nowhere to put the remote when used in portable fashion (and the remote won't be at the same angle when using the HP in a hinged position), but the HP does at least have a USB port to spare.

neongolden likes this.
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Uhm, even on that video she says "if you attach the keyoard you’ll benefit from the Nvidia Quadro graphic processor".
    It doesn’t make much sense but still...

9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The specs say the display is true 8-bit with dithering to 10-bit, slightly disappointing, but still pretty good considering most displays today still don't support any sort of wide gamut color space.

10. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I think, for me, it's the design philosophy behind the product. The Acer Switch 7, while fantastic, still clearly is kind of gunning for a mobile-ish experience.

The Zbook x2, however , doesn't look like they really cared about some arbitrary weight maximum. It's like they just stuffed a bunch of features in it, hang whatever weight it ends up as.

The addition of features like side buttons and ports is also something that's missing from a lot of tablet pcs out there. I'm tired of an obligatory usb-a and one usb-c being all the ports that are offered.

Omg yes felt nibs. I miss those so much on my galaxy book.

stoneseeker and Marty like this.