Zbook X2 just anounced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...still missing: ... 3:2 screen, spectre and meltdown corrections...>>

These factors are giving me pause, too. I don't know if HP will ever migrate to a 3:2 aspect ratio screen, but waiting for corrected Intel silicon seems like it might be better than buying the existing (vulnerable) silicon and having to live with the (currently much) less desirable firmware and software patches.

And, of course, my Z Canvas continues to perform very well, so...

<<...can we add daylight viewable (transflective ...) display?..>>

I don't know about you, but Fujitsu featured transmissive, transreflective and (edge-lit) reflective screens on its Stylistic tablets (ST40xx and ST50xx IIRC) and I tried them all. I wasn't impressed with the transreflective screen, and I really wasn't impressed with the reflective screen (pretty much washed out all the time). In today's world, I'd suggest that you just need to increase the backlighting but there's going to be a pretty big hit on battery life. You're probably looking at ~5,000 nits, which would be an order of magnitude increase in display brightness (typ 400 - 450 nits)

jbaks likes this.
  2. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

keeping my fingures crossed, still loving my canvas. (i keep my temps in the 170F(70C) with a small deskfan). I also despise 16:9!

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I posted this a while back, but the solution is to have a hybrid transmissive-emissive display:

Take a look at this hybrid OLED/trans-reflective LCD (the display is very dense at 292ppi) created by Semiconductor Energy Laboratory in 2016:

[​IMG]

The tech uses an OLED layer (left) underneath a trans-reflective LCD layer (right) to allow for high quality indoor and outdoor modes of display.

It also uses IGZO TFTs to reduce the power consumption in OLED mode. Really a marriage of all of today's best display techs. ;)

YVerloc and WillAdams like this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Take a look at this hybrid OLED/trans-reflective LCD...>>

...I'm actually more amused by the cold-cathode fluorescent (?) displays in the background. (At first, I thought they were nixie-tubes...) However, back on topic, both display modes still look washed out, to me...

5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's just bad photography (look at the haloing on the red LCD readouts).

From the article: "SEL optimized the driving method of the display and improved the display contrast of the OLED from 1,111:1 to 2,850:1."

These are not "washed out" by any means, but actually extremely high contrast panels that surpass most modern IPS displays.

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Steve S --- note my device history, my Fujitsu Stylistic ST4121 was my favourite ever device. I'd still be using it if Windows XP were still viable (and still fire it up to scan or to control my CNC when I use it on the back deck).

7. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Oooooorrrrr.... sell them and put that money towards a Zbook! Though they may at best only cover like, half the cost, lol.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  8. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

I would personally prefer to buy a Samsung 960 PRO which is MLC (more endurable and faster) and has the best performance among all M.2 SSD.

9. testplayer

Looks like the 8650U has even higher score than 4900MQ on my Thinkpad W540. Now my dream comes true: a quad-core 32GB RAM mobile workstation built in a tablet/slate form factor, and most importantly, with Wacom EMR.

10. testplayer

It is in fact not that worthy to upgrade the memory to 32GB from 8GB by yourself. Because of the special discount now on HP's website, if you spend more you will save more. So when you customize it online, the price difference between 8GB and 32GB RAM is merely $323 (not the superficial +$449). On the other hand, if you look at https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&N=100007609 600567142 600567143 600566554&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=BESTSELLING&PageSize=36, the cheapest option is $310, and all others are higher than $323. So provided that the special discount is valid, upgrading memory by yourself won't save you too much money.

On the other hand, upgrading SSD is better: Samsung 960 PRO is faster and more endurable than HP Z Turbo Drive G2, although the 1TB version of 960 PRO will cost $600 whereas the Z Turbo Drive G2 1TB is about $510 more than the cheapest option (128 GB M2 SATA-3 SSD; not superficially +$708). Anyway, for me, $90 more is worthy to get the best >=1TB M.2 SSD available now (MLC not TLC, 800TB endurance, 3500/2100 MB/s Sequential R/W, 440k/360k IOPS 4K Random R/W).

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018